2023 FIFA Women's World Cup | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

Ugggh that was such a great chance. Morgan's hold up play has been sensational this 2H

Best half this USWNT has played going back a ways. Don't let up

I think Rapinoe is washed and won’t threaten the Dutch back line.

But I agree they need to replace Rodman with a facilitator at one of the wing spots.

The wings need to hold possession better and make the simple pass.

I don't think Rapinoe is washed. She is however better suited to be a 65-75 minute sub. She will be needed going forward as Smith and Rodman while great athletes, lack that touch and composure just yet.

Portugal isn't awful but they will be putting 11 behind the ball and do have the ability to counter. Gotta go for the throat early and make them open up after conceding early.

Never played and know nothing but the Dutch seemed to kick the ball backwards more than at our net.

Do they not have concussion protocol in soccer? When the two women clanged heads and the Dutch player was bleeding and they put her in a swim cap. There is no check on either players? And what does the swim cap accomplish?

Obligatory I hate the soccer offsides rule post.
I used to, until I had a son who played goalkeeper. It’s the only way to make it fair to the keeper. The goal is 8’X24’. Can’t cover it if players can cherry pick.

Never played and know nothing but the Dutch seemed to kick the ball backwards more than at our net.
It’s kind of the American football of running the ball to keep it away from the other team. It’s also a way to reset your offense.
A general rule I was told was to play the ball in the direction you are facing. I will leave that to our soccer experts to correct or expound.

I used to, until I had a son who played goalkeeper. It’s the only way to make it fair to the keeper. The goal is 8’X24’. Can’t cover it if players can cherry pick.

The rule is fine I agree although I always thought if both the passer and the runner are inside the 18 that it shouldn't apply.

I'm not a big soccer person, but will watch during WC games for both men and women. To my untrained eye, things like getting the ball in play on a throw in seemed painful.

If that were an NBA coach with talent on the roster, I'd say the org had to fire him before wasting the talent's time.

Is it understood that he's a good coach or is there a question there?

I'm not a big soccer person, but will watch during WC games for both men and women. To my untrained eye, things like getting the ball in play on a throw in seemed painful.

If that were an NBA coach with talent on the roster, I'd say the org had to fire him before wasting the talent's time.

Is it understood that he's a good coach or is there a question there?

Throw ins are often ugly and possession is conceded often in general. There are questions around this coach though given struggles at times leading up to this WC. The US ladies have still a lot of talent but also some major injuries and missing pieces that are key parts of the present and future

I don't think Rapinoe is washed. She is however better suited to be a 65-75 minute sub. She will be needed going forward as Smith and Rodman while great athletes, lack that touch and composure just yet.
Reffing was awful. It looked like that Japanese ref was trained by the same person who trains concacaf refs. Should have been multiple yellows in the game, most of them going to the Dutch.

The US plays a naive form of the game. Every time Morgan touched the ball with her back to goal in a non-dangerous area, she got absolutely hammered by one of the Dutch center backs. It sends a message; it disrupts rhythm; it is physically taxing on the player getting crunched. The US does almost none of that to opposing players. The Dutch, in general, took no prisoners. When they had a opportunity to level someone legally, or illegally, they took it. The US needs to learn how to be nasty.

Not sure which changed the game more: Lavelle or the Dutch center back going out. Regardless, Lavelle completely changed the game from the American perspective compared to the ineffective DeMelo.

Smith and Rodman are wingers who provide zero width. It is really hamstringing the American attack, especially because the right back almost never gets forward and Dunn also prefers to cut inside rather than going to the touchline.

The Dutch, to me, simply looked like a better coached team, albeit less talented individually. I don't think talent, alone, is going to win this world cup so the US needs to figure it out.

What I don't know is if we have options on the bench that can, for example, provide that wing play for 90 minutes and can do so at a difference-making level. If not, I do not think the current line-up, with the current setup and tactics can win a World Cup.

I used to play growing up (mostly midfield, but some D), so I don't say it as one of those completely non-soccer people.

But I also played hockey, so I know all about cherry pickers. (I used to think the term came from hockey, because it was people who lingered at the center ice red line behind the opposing D standing at the blue line).

I like the definition of knowing where the line is. The variability in soccer always bugged me, made it so subjective. And it can sometimes bail out an over aggressive defensive player.

But yes, in general, someone shouldn't just free range be able to hang out close to the goal for easy chances.

Reffing was awful. It looked like that Japanese ref was trained by the same person who trains concacaf refs. Should have been multiple yellows in the game, most of them going to the Dutch.

The US plays a naive form of the game. Every time Morgan touched the ball with her back to goal in a non-dangerous area, she got absolutely hammered by one of the Dutch center backs. It sends a message; it disrupts rhythm; it is physically taxing on the player getting crunched. The US does almost none of that to opposing players. The Dutch, in general, took no prisoners. When they had a opportunity to level someone legally, or illegally, they took it. The US needs to learn how to be nasty.

Not sure which changed the game more: Lavelle or the Dutch center back going out. Regardless, Lavelle completely changed the game from the American perspective compared to the ineffective DeMelo.

Smith and Rodman are wingers who provide zero width. It is really hamstringing the American attack, especially because the right back almost never gets forward and Dunn also prefers to cut inside rather than going to the touchline.

The Dutch, to me, simply looked like a better coached team, albeit less talented individually. I don't think talent, alone, is going to win this world cup so the US needs to figure it out.

What I don't know is if we have options on the bench that can, for example, provide that wing play for 90 minutes and can do so at a difference-making level. If not, I do not think the current line-up, with the current setup and tactics can win a World Cup.

Yep. The difference you saw when Heath or O'Hara were on the wings 4 years ago is night and day.

Furthermore Smith is far too slow on the ball at times and misses runners non stop.

I said the same on Lavelle. Honestly she appears to be the only midfielder they have who is calm under pressure and can pick a pass. Far too many giveaways or 5 yard passes with too much on it from the rest of the ladies.

I will say though that for whatever reason the quality of play is down across this entire WC so far. Not sure what to chalk it up to but in general it's been sloppy with poor finishing, far too many unforced errors and overall just a rough watch

Sucks there are two good matchups early morning tomorrow. Two games I'm very curious to see how things go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom