2023 Maui Classic | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Maui Classic

9-0 all time...keep the streak going
Is that true that we have won the tournament every time we have played? Wow.

I only have vague memories of the last tournament. But I recall that the baskets seemed very “wide” there. Everything we threw up seemed to go in. It was, in the words of a certain retired coach, “amazing.”

Based on one post-draft deadline top 25 power rankings (cbssports), the Maui field has the top 2 teams in the country (Kansas and Purdue), the 6th best team (Marquette), and 2 other teams ranked in the top 17 (Gonzaga and Tennessee).

Obviously these are just meaningless rankings but they still give a good indication of how stacked this field is.

Yes. We played there three times -- 1990, 1998 and 2013 -- and we won all three games each time. In the finals, we beat Indiana twice and Baylor once. We are undefeated in the Maui Tourney.

Last edited:
Yes. We played there three times -- 1990, 1998 and 2013 -- and we won all three games each time. In the finals, we beat Indiana twice and Baylor once. We are undefeated in the Maui Tourney.

In 1986 we also played in something called the "Hawaii-Loa Classic" in Kaneohe, Oahu.

Syracuse beat Wichita St and Hawaii-Loa.

That Douglas kid scored 38 points over two games.

I remember there was no TV and I had to listen to Doug Logan on the radio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. We played there three times -- 1990, 1998 and 2013 -- and we won all three games each time. In the finals, we beat Indiana twice and Baylor once. We are undefeated in the Maui Tourney
Think we lost to Camby/Calipari Umass team in the ‘95 rainbow classic if I recall correctly (not Maui invitational ofcourse)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just projecting:
I assume that Chaminade will play the next weakest team with the worst 2022-2023 record so they would have a better chance to advance in their own tournament. That team is Syracuse.

After that, logic is removed and guesswork comes into play. There will be tough matchups, especially in the second round.

First Day Pairings (again all guesswork)
Purdue plays UCLA
Kansas plays Tennessee
Gonzaga plays Marquette
Syracuse plays Chaminade

Second round:
Kansas plays Syracuse
Gonzaga plays Purdue
UCLA plays Tennessee
Chaminade plays Marquette

Third round:
Chaminade plays Purdue
Tennessee plays Syracuse
Gonzaga plays Kansas
UCLA plays Marquette

Final record:
Kansas (3-0)
Gonzaga (2-1)
Marquette (2-1)
Syracuse (2-1)
UCLA (1-2)
Tennessee (1-2)
Chaminade (0-3)

Just projecting:
I assume that Chaminade will play the next weakest team with the worst 2022-2023 record so they would have a better chance to advance in their own tournament. That team is Syracuse.

After that, logic is removed and guesswork comes into play. There will be tough matchups, especially in the second round.

Purdue plays UCLA
Kansas plays Tennessee
Gonzaga plays Marquette
Syracuse plays Chaminade

Second round:
Kansas plays Syracuse
Gonzaga plays Purdue
UCLA plays Tennessee

Third round:
Chaminade plays Purdue
Tennessee plays Syracuse
Gonzaga plays Kansas
UCLA plays Marquette

Final record:
Kansas (3-0)
Gonzaga (2-1)
Marquette (2-1)
Syracuse (2-1)
UCLA (1-2)
Tennessee (1-2)
Chaminade (0-3)

Getting Chaminade first could be a gift... like a play in game where our youth is fired up at a shot to take out Kansas to get to the title game.

The team whose lack of athleticism was exposed by a 16 seed and who who showed its flaws as the year progressed. Don't get me wrong they have a good team. They also could take a step back like what you saw with Michigan after their deep run. The blueprint of going small ball on Purdue and not letting their shooters beat you is out.

Think we lost to Camby/Calipari Umass team in the ‘95 rainbow classic if I recall correctly (not Maui invitational ofcourse)
We did. I was there. We beat Illinois and they had a kid named Ryan Blackwell and we beat Rhode Island.

We did. I was there. We beat Illinois and they had a kid named Ryan Blackwell and we beat Rhode Island.
Too bad we didn't have Blackwell that season. He might have helped in the FF vs Kentucky.

The team whose lack of athleticism was exposed by a 16 seed and who who showed its flaws as the year progressed. Don't get me wrong they have a good team. They also could take a step back like what you saw with Michigan after their deep run. The blueprint of going small ball on Purdue and not letting their shooters beat you is out.

Agreed. They looked really pedestrian the last few weeks of the season. Take Edey off that squad and they aren’t even a top-25 team in my opinion.

Agreed. They looked really pedestrian the last few weeks of the season. Take Edey off that squad and they aren’t even a top-25 team in my opinion.
They are built to be good in that league size and age are what works in the B1G. I don’t see what wins in the tournament changing and then doing what UVA did after their 16 seed loss but if it happens good for them. I can’t stand UVA.

Out of all the teams listed, I'd like to see Cuse play Purdue first (if it's not Chaminade obviously). Edey doesn't play too often against other 7-4 players like McLeod

That was the weekend we were in Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl. The hotel didn't have ESPN2 so a bunch of us gathered at the Hooters in downtown JAX to watch the game.

Out of all the teams listed, I'd like to see Cuse play Purdue first (if it's not Chaminade obviously). Edey doesn't play too often against other 7-4 players like McLeod

McLeod faced him last year actually and Edey got the better of him by a good margin. That said FSU was just not good all around so makes it harder to gage.

Im.sure McLeod would love to get another shot at him...

Just projecting:

Purdue plays UCLA
Kansas plays Tennessee
Gonzaga plays Marquette
Syracuse plays Chaminade

Second round:
Kansas plays Syracuse
Gonzaga plays Purdue
UCLA plays Tennessee

Third round:
Chaminade plays Purdue
Tennessee plays Syracuse
Gonzaga plays Kansas
UCLA plays Marquette

Final record:
Kansas (3-0)
Gonzaga (2-1)
Marquette (2-1)
Syracuse (2-1)
UCLA (1-2)
Tennessee (1-2)
Chaminade (0-3)
Not sure we will be assumed to be the weakest. UCLA is going to have virtually an entire new team besides Bona as I doubt Jaylen Clark will be ready for Maui.

McLeod faced him last year actually and Edey got the better of him by a good margin. That said FSU was just not good all around so makes it harder to gage.

Watching the condensed game of that matchup now, its wild how big Edey is. He almost makes McLeod look small lol. Think this is where another 15 pounds or so would really help McLeod out. Although hes not gonna deal with people Edeys size very often, so if its at the cost of some mobility then it may not be worth it.

Shows you how little research I put into that statement. Thank you for setting the record straight.

Big Ten is perpetually overrated. Bring us the Boilers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom