2023 Maui Classic | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Maui Classic

I went to Hawaii for our games in 1995/1996 I won't be back. Too long a trip for me.
Yeah, that's how I feel about Hawaii. I would definitely recommend vacationing there, but it is a long trip. I've never gone without taking 10 days - for me, it's not worth going for anything less than that. Coming back from Hawaii is kinda rough. Usually, you leave in the evening and fly through the night.

I'm sure the staff will put this into all our guys ears once everyone is on campus but man the opportunity for these guys to smack a giant orange S onto college hoops out of the gate this year is off the charts. Some hungry guys that wanna get after it and a lineup of big targets to get after...

Based on one post-draft deadline top 25 power rankings (cbssports), the Maui field has the top 2 teams in the country (Kansas and Purdue), the 6th best team (Marquette), and 2 other teams ranked in the top 17 (Gonzaga and Tennessee).

Obviously these are just meaningless rankings but they still give a good indication of how stacked this field is.
It’s an insane gauntlet of a tourney field. But we’ve historically done well there—
9-0 as others have pointed out.

Full field:

Gonzaga
Kansas
Marquette
Purdue
Syracuse
Tennessee
UCLA
Chaminade

" We'll murderlize 'em "!!!

Pro Wrestling Win GIF by Looney Tunes

My guess on bracket:

1. Kansas
8. Chaminade

4. Gonzaga
5. Tennessee

3. Marquette
6. UCLA

2. Purdue
7. Syracuse

Just projecting:
I assume that Chaminade will play the next weakest team with the worst 2022-2023 record so they would have a better chance to advance in their own tournament. That team is Syracuse.

After that, logic is removed and guesswork comes into play. There will be tough matchups, especially in the second round.

First Day Pairings (again all guesswork)
Purdue plays UCLA
Kansas plays Tennessee
Gonzaga plays Marquette
Syracuse plays Chaminade

Second round:
Kansas plays Syracuse
Gonzaga plays Purdue
UCLA plays Tennessee
Chaminade plays Marquette

Third round:
Chaminade plays Purdue
Tennessee plays Syracuse
Gonzaga plays Kansas
UCLA plays Marquette

Final record:
Kansas (3-0)
Gonzaga (2-1)
Marquette (2-1)
Syracuse (2-1)
UCLA (1-2)
Tennessee (1-2)
Chaminade (0-3)
I think it’s a long shot that we’ll draw Chaminade in the first round. When they’ve played in the Maui in the past they typically play one of the higher ranked teams in their opening game. My guess is they’ll draw KU or Purdue. ESPN will have a hand in the brackets to set up the best TV matchups for the semifinals and final.

My guess on bracket:

1. Kansas
8. Chaminade

4. Gonzaga
5. Tennessee

3. Marquette
6. UCLA

2. Purdue
7. Syracuse

I'm so excited.

...and I just can't hide it. I'ma bout to lose control and I think I like it.

Getting Chaminade first could be a gift... like a play in game where our youth is fired up at a shot to take out Kansas to get to the title game.

That's what Ralph Sampson and Terry Holland thought back in 1982...... LOL!

I think it’s a long shot that we’ll draw Chaminade in the first round. When they’ve played in the Maui in the past they typically play one of the higher ranked teams in their opening game. My guess is they’ll draw KU or Purdue. ESPN will have a hand in the brackets to set up the best TV matchups for the semifinals and final.
Like i said, it is all guesswork. Your logic is as sound as mine. No matter what there are some really good matchups in that tournament.

i was considering going to the tournamen, sort of like a bucket list item. But was discouraged by posters‘ comments on the availability and scarcity of tickets.

This is complete conjecture on my part, but I am getting a lot of 2009-2010 vibes. That year we were heavily reliant on a transfer (Wes). This year we are going to be relying on a lot of transfer. College basketball sure has changed in a decade. That year we also started just inside the top 25 at 24 I believe. Right now with our roster, I believe it’s safe to say we believe we have a top 25 roster or just right outside of it.

We started the season with a tournament at MSG against a top 5 UNC squad and whipped them. We also played a ranked Florida squad. This year we have Maui with several top 10 teams in the field. That team was much stronger at forward and center vs this team. The current roster has a plethora of guards and a lot of versatility. Quick note, that team had 4 guys shoot 40% or better from 3. If we can get two guys at that mark, watch out. I’m not saying we’re winning 30 games. In my opinion, that team may have been the best to never win the tournament. What I am saying is we may catch a lot of people by surprise.

That was the weekend we were in Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl. The hotel didn't have ESPN2 so a bunch of us gathered at the Hooters in downtown JAX to watch the game.
One of my regrets...not making that game. I was 6 hours away.

Last edited:
McLeod faced him last year actually and Edey got the better of him by a good margin. That said FSU was just not good all around so makes it harder to gage.

Im.sure McLeod would love to get another shot at him...
And learn. Hopefully SU coaches watch that tape.

One of the other things about Maui is its less about running perfect sets or having your team ready for league play. It's a talent showcase where guys are balling out and making plays in a HS gym. Soft rims to go with. It favors a team of guys out there to just get after it, make plays on both ends and make shots. It's the right kind of team to bring to Maui. Judah is made for a tourney like this as is most of our backcourt.

Winner gets JP Estrella in 2024
If it doesn't say who the winners play it's not a bracket (that's a dig on Rothstein, not you).

But if we presume that the winners of the first two games play each other and the winners of the last two games play each other I'd much see us run against Purdue's unathletic guards than against whatever Few cooks up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom