2023 MLB Season | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2023 MLB Season

I don't really care for the NL uniforms. Those black pants looked like slacks to me at first. I was like WTH are they doing wearing dress pants to play baseball?

I can’t stand the concept of “All-Star” uniforms, reminds me too much of youth baseball.

Casual fan has a hard enough time figuring out who the individual players are than you dissociate them from their teams and you wonder what you’re watching?

Ok!!! Not just the casual fan…….I’ll admit I can’t tell who is who or remember which team is which unless I happen to catch a glimpse of a team logo on a sleeve.

I don't really care for the NL uniforms. Those black pants looked like slacks to me at first. I was like WTH are they doing wearing dress pants to play baseball?

I just had the exact same take on the other board, as I just saw the introductions. Plus the dark blue and black combo is just odd.

AL has pants to play baseball, and the NL is heading to the office.

I can’t stand the concept of “All-Star” uniforms, reminds me too much of youth baseball.

Casual fan has a hard enough time figuring out who the individual players are than you dissociate them from their teams and you wonder what you’re watching?

Ok!!! Not just the casual fan…….I’ll admit I can’t tell who is who or remember which team is which unless I happen to catch a glimpse of a team logo on a sleeve.

Yes - I preferred so much when players wore their regular team. Its very confusing.

But the NL just have about a 4 inch insignia of their team (totally hidden in black and white) on their dumbass pants. Why even bother doing that if you can't even notice.

Exactly how I feel. MLB really does themselves a disservice not to have their stars easily recognizable on a platform like this.

If you're going to have all these pitchers throwing 100 mph for 1 inning in these all star games maybe they should give the offenses 4 outs per inning. There's no hitting in these games which makes it pretty boring.

I want to see the NL break the losing streak but I'd love to see a HR derby decide it!

I liked the uniforms and homage to Seattle (ducks). Thought the team patch on the sleeve was a nice touch.

Loved the in game interview with pitchers. Clearly would never work unless it was in an exhibition game. Lastly, the game missed Tatis.

I liked the uniforms and homage to Seattle (ducks). Thought the team patch on the sleeve was a nice touch.

Loved the in game interview with pitchers. Clearly would never work unless it was in an exhibition game. Lastly, the game missed Tatis.

Which doesn't mean they won't do it in a regular game someday.

OK, which umpire called the most balls as strikes? That's what really matters. And how accurate are those TV boxes anyway?

OK, which umpire called the most balls as strikes? That's what really matters. And how accurate are those TV boxes anyway?
I cannot speak for what the television broadcasts use, but the stat cast data powered by trackman or hawk eye (can't remember which one) technology used to analyze umps, pitchers, and catchers is extremely accurate.

How do they determine that? Is there a third, incontrovertible measure?
Like other new rules, this has been tested extensively in the minors (and it is still being tested, in Syracuse and many other minor league ballparks).

Here are a couple of articles on it. It appears they use 8 different cameras placed up on the roof behind home plate to do ABS (automated ball-strike system).

One interesting tidbit: when ABS is used today, it tells the home plate umpire ball or strike after each pitch and the umpire parrots what the call was. I think this is the long term plan as well.

Rob Manfred says ABS is likely going to be implemented at the MLB level next year.

Believe this uses the same technology tennis been using for years. They need more than one camera for baseball because there are 3 dimensions in play.

I don't believe you will see missed calls with ABS. There are challenges to be sure with the different heights of batters, the many types of breaking pitches, etc. But years of testing should address any issues before this hits the majors.

Like other new rules, this has been tested extensively in the minors (and it is still being tested, in Syracuse and many other minor league ballparks).

Here are a couple of articles on it. It appears they use 8 different cameras placed up on the roof behind home plate to do ABS (automated ball-strike system).

One interesting tidbit: when ABS is used today, it tells the home plate umpire ball or strike after each pitch and the umpire parrots what the call was. I think this is the long term plan as well.

Rob Manfred says ABS is likely going to be implemented at the MLB level next year.

Believe this uses the same technology tennis been using for years. They need more than one camera for baseball because there are 3 dimensions in play.

I don't believe you will see missed calls with ABS. There are challenges to be sure with the different heights of batters, the many types of breaking pitches, etc. But years of testing should address any issues before this hits the majors.

At least there will be no difference between the box on the screen and what the ump calls, so that will basically eliminate controversy.

I used to quote Oliver Wendell Holmes: "The Constitution is the Law of the Land but The Constitution is what the justices say it is". I would always say "The rule book is the law of baseball but the strike zone is what the umpire says it is." Now it will be what that little box on your screen says it is. I think people will come to accept that quickly.

At least there will be no difference between the box on the screen and what the ump calls, so that will basically eliminate controversy.

I used to quote Oliver Wendell Holmes: "The Constitution is the Law of the Land but The Constitution is what the justices say it is". I would always say "The rule book is the law of baseball but the strike zone is what the umpire says it is." Now it will be what that little box on your screen says it is. I think people will come to accept that quickly.
They have in the minor leagues. The players down there love it.

As a former umpire and catcher, calling balls and strikes was my favorite part of umping. However now I may need to be MILB/MLB ump as their jobs are infinitely easier. ‘Don’t yell at me, yell at the cameras. Now go back to your dugout.’

I can't wait. I'm so sick and tired of seeing such inconsistency between the box on the TV and what the plate ump calls. And while I'm at it, Greg Maddux would be just another B+ pitcher if this system were in place when he pitched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom