2023 MLB Season | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2023 MLB Season

I think you have an idea how he has kept his job. The MLB Umpire Union protects and gate keeps the game of baseball umpires as the two leading umpire schools are run by former umpires. At least Angel is not work much anymore. CB Bucnor (spelling) is still working alot and is god awful. Not a soccer fan but relegation for umpires would be nice as well as technology taking over called balls and strikes.
Are you the burner account for Cowtown ?

In the last 2 nights, 3 MLB games have ended the following way:

1) Walk off Balk
2) Pickoff runner at first (by pitcher)
3) Pickoff runner at first (by catcher)

League BABIP is only up to .297 from .290 in the same time frame last year, 291 in 2021, and down from .298 in 2019.
If banning the shift is making an impact, it is a modest one.

League BABIP is only up to .297 from .290 in the same time frame last year, 291 in 2021, and down from .298 in 2019.
If banning the shift is making an impact, it is a modest one.

I think the other consideration under these new rules is what is the impact of the pitch clock (positive, negative, if any).

Certainly there was a lack of comfort for the pitchers early on, but some batters are also forced to get out of their comfort zone by having to lock into the batting box at a specific time. Initially thought it might be a positive for the batters, but as pitchers get used to it I think it might be a slight negative for them.

Time for some wildcard standings
Screenshot_20230804-214636.png

Boston didn't help themselves out today. One of the dumbest baserunning blunders I have ever seen by Reese McGuire. As an aside a a few years back McGuire was charged after being caught amusing himself in a parking lot -- this may have topped that for stupidity.

Still confused as to what McGuire was doing. All he had to do was go halfway between second and third. If the ball gets caught he trots back. If the ball hits the wall or goes out he scores easily. He was convinced it was out of the park apparently.

Boston didn't help themselves out today. One of the dumbest baserunning blunders I have ever seen by Reese McGuire. As an aside a a few years back McGuire was charged after being caught amusing himself in a parking lot -- this may have topped that for stupidity.

Still confused as to what McGuire was doing. All he had to do was go halfway between second and third. If the ball gets caught he trots back. If the ball hits the wall or goes out he scores easily. He was convinced it was out of the park apparently.

3rd base coach absolutely blew that one. Needs to lose his job for that blunder

As someone who was trying to eke the over 9.5 runs bet this angered me.

3rd base coach absolutely blew that one. Needs to lose his job for that blunder

Saw that as well - he certainly made some really bad mistakes reading the ball. I have seen a few theories. Here is my thought that at least justifies his arm swinging motion (excluding the terrible read which in the ends trumps all and makes it bad coaching on his part)

The runner at first really complicated things. If it was just Mcguire it was easy to tell him to stay half way. But he also had to concern himself with the runner from first, and the only way he scores the winning run is if the third base coach tells him to keep running hard. My gut is that was not signalling to Mcquire but more so to the runner from first.

I suppose its quite possible it did not cost the game for the Sox, because if they had returned there had been two outs with a runner on second. So the Jays still likely win -- but blowing that 30-40% chance to win with idiocy is certainly annoying.

Either ways its a terrible read on the fly, but the odd signals he did made more sense if you think about the runner from first looking at him rather than from second.

Saw that as well - he certainly made some really bad mistakes reading the ball. I have seen a few theories. Here is my thought that at least justifies his arm swinging motion (excluding the terrible read which in the ends trumps all and makes it bad coaching on his part)

The runner at first really complicated things. If it was just Mcguire it was easy to tell him to stay half way. But he also had to concern himself with the runner from first, and the only way he scores the winning run is if the third base coach tells him to keep running hard. My gut is that was not signalling to Mcquire but more so to the runner from first.

I suppose its quite possible it did not cost the game for the Sox, because if they had returned there had been two outs with a runner on second. So the Jays still likely win -- but blowing that 30-40% chance to win with idiocy is certainly annoying.

Either ways its a terrible read on the fly, but the odd signals he did made more sense if you think about the runner from first looking at him rather than from second.
I wonder if McGuire forgot how many outs there were. If he thinks there's 2 outs (still inexcusable) his arm up looks good off the bat reaction makes a little more sense.

Not sure if anyone has heard this, but it’s a ridiculous story. FYI, Kevin went to Syracuse and graduated around same time as me. He’s good friends with several long-standing posters here too.

Modern day that is clearly a strike.

But last year I was watching an all star game from the 70's. I couldn't believe some of the attempted held swings that were called balls a few times.

Last edited:
Regarding held swings, I was able to find the post from my Expos Rant thread where I commented in particular the "held" swings from the 1979 All-Star Game. As an aside, the game was an interesting watch while I was doing a few other things. The NL All Star Team starting lineup was stacked. Also at the 43 minute mark Morgana came on to the field.

A few held swings that I noted - the Brett one noted below at the 44 minute mark was egregious
At 38:10 (George Foster - mildly debatable)
At 44:15 (George Brett - this one was particularly bad)

Agreed, but was 3B coach waiving him in? If so, fire him at end of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom