2023 PGA Tour | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

2023 PGA Tour

I think the PGA Tour’s in trouble. PIF’s playing chess w/ unlimited funds while the tour’s playing checkers.

Once the "loyal" PGA guys realized there was no real penalty coming for the LIV players, this was bound to happen. I think Phil gets credit for this recruitment.

Rahm to LIV.

Again, another coward who won't just say "Yeah, they gave me alot of money and I couldn't pass it up".

Has to use the "grow the game" nonsense.
If he was being 100 he'd say "since I won the Master's and Augusta National has given no indication they will ban LIV guys I can collect Saudi stacks, still play the Masters, and have 5 yrs of exemptions to win the other majors. In that 5 years maybe the OWGR thing will be sorted out as well."

Once the "loyal" PGA guys realized there was no real penalty coming for the LIV players, this was bound to happen. I think Phil gets credit for this recruitment.
Think he gets future money as a downline like a MLM operation for every guy he recruits?

I'd give the most credit to Jay Monahan -- once Jay did the merger, which resulted in Jay getting a cushy position in the merged league the players had to ask themselves what was the point. Now that the merger will likely never happen, Jay could find himself out of a job.

It's the PGA's fault (and Jay's fault) for some of the sloppy e-mails and sloppy discussions they had with their partners that would have very likely resulted in a monopoly finding against the PGA -- which forced their hand to do the merger.

Last edited:
I'd give the most credit to Jay Monahan -- once Jay did the merger, which resulted in Jay getting a cushy position in the merged league the players had to ask themselves what was the point. Now that the merger will likely never happen, Jay could find himself out of a job.

It's the PGA's fault (and Jay's fault) for some of the sloppy e-mails and sloppy discussions they had that would have resulted in a monopoly finding against him
And it's quite possible that Americans will never embrace the LIV tour in its current format, and LIV might be ok with that. But if they want or need TV ratings, they will make changes.

I'm not a Monahan fan, and I also can't see him continuing if the players continue to fight internally and/or the in-fighting gets worse. But he is great on developing and growing relationships with sponsors and that's important, especially if more big names leave the tour. But, if Tiger plays once a month, like he is saying, the tour and possibly Monahan might be good for another year.

And it's quite possible that Americans will never embrace the LIV tour in its current format, and LIV might be ok with that. But if they want or need TV ratings, they will make changes.

I'm not a Monahan fan, and I also can't see him continuing if the players continue to fight internally and/or the in-fighting gets worse. But he is great on developing and growing relationships with sponsors and that's important, especially if more big names leave the tour. But, if Tiger plays once a month, like he is saying, the tour and possibly Monahan might be good for another year.
Although not all sponsors are happy. This will no doubt be a continuing story. And will Tiger save the tour.

It's the PGA's fault (and Jay's fault) for some of the sloppy e-mails and sloppy discussions they had with their partners that would have very likely resulted in a monopoly finding against the PGA -- which forced their hand to do the merger.

Interesting how Rory got out of the line of fire. Think he saw it all coming? Got tired of beating a dead horse? Got tired of being used?

And I would not be surprised if LIV allows players to use whichever ball they prefer. Which might but the brakes on the plan by the PGA/R&A to move to a constrained flight ball in the near future.

Last edited:
Interesting how Rory got out of the line of fire. Think he saw it all coming? Got tired of beating a dead horse? Got tired of being used?

And I would not be surprised if LIV allows players to use whichever ball they prefer. Which might but the brakes on the plan by the PGA/R&A to move to a constrained flight ball in the near future.

I'm hoarding used golf balls right now, and I'm planning to sell them like crack in golf course parking lots in a few years.

Saw this tweet a few minutes ago. Whether its insight or baseless speculation, don't know.

Last edited:
The biggest winners from all this dissension is one again the 4 majors. The 4 events that are owned by neither LIV or the PGA Tour, become even more interesting and distinctive.

I have a hard time pulling for one specific side in this one. Obviously I'm not picking LIV's side. But let's remember the reaction of most PGA players to the merger was not a "moral" one, but hey I'm getting screwed here because others got there money from LIV already - and how are they going to give some of what they got to me. I won't even get in to the tour's "Charity" status.

If LIV had an intriguing product maybe I would watch if I decide to ignore the issues. But it's just not intriguing. PGA is not helping itself either much with these new losses. It will just be more casual viewing and following for me, until major season and a few specific events... or when Canadians are contending.

But the majors will be even more special now.

Last edited:
Jim Roy (Syracuse local) is in the Q-School tournament. He is not going to make the top 5 and ties so he will lose his PGA Tour card next year. He bogeyed the his 18th hole. He is in the clubhouse T-38 at the moment. Top 40, I believe get full Korn Ferry Tour status. Airing on NBA Golf Channel at the moment.

Jim Roy (Syracuse local) is in the Q-School tournament. He is not going to make the top 5 and ties so he will lose his PGA Tour card next year. He bogeyed the his 18th hole. He is in the clubhouse T-38 at the moment. Top 40, I believe get full Korn Ferry Tour status. Airing on NBA Golf Channel at the moment.
It's Kevin Roy, Jim's son.

Wow Tiger looks like he is 70 trying to get around and he wasnt even walking this weekend.

Rahm to LIV.

Again, another coward who won't just say "Yeah, they gave me alot of money and I couldn't pass it up".

Has to use the "grow the game" nonsense.
Kudos, albeit late, to Rahm for confirming the reason he left.

"This is a new change. A big change," Rahm told ESPN. "I don't want to skip through this point: A big change how golfers get compensated. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a big part of it. In a nutshell, I'm getting more to play the same sport and have more time. I don't know about most people, but that sounds great to me."

they were making alot of money and decided they wanted to make more.

The only reason they made so much money was the PGA in the first place.

But as TV shows no one is really watching them.. They are like The Globetrotters now, locals may show up for a show but when they leave no one really pays attention.

they were making alot of money and decided they wanted to make more.

The only reason they made so much money was the PGA in the first place.

But as TV shows no one is really watching them.. They are like The Globetrotters now, locals may show up for a show but when they leave no one really pays attention.
Which is why I don't have even a scintilla of sympathy when any of these LIV guys cry about not being allowed into the majors.

Which is why I don't have even a scintilla of sympathy when any of these LIV guys cry about not being allowed into the majors.
Augusta has two words for Taylor Gooch

shawn michaels wrestling GIF by WWE

you couldnt pay me to watch a liv event
I had this same conversation last night. LIV definitely has some great golfers but to me it's not a real golf tournament with the format they use. I want to watch golfers who have a lot at stake. Where a win or where your end of the season ranking determines your future for the next 365 days.

Talor Gooch is a major douche and moron.
Gooch is a dooch? He's a poster child for LIV. 123 PGA career starts. 11 top tens and one career victory. Made 11 million on the PGA Tour and in a very short time frame made the same amount for LIV. Good for him but because you were not going to have a future on the PGA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom