2023 Schedule | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Schedule

I'm with you - I mean what could that even be?

I'm assuming this is the conference. It was referred to as a "large medical conference." Although it's only one weekend and it's put on by the NYS Department of Health. I'm not really sure why it would impact the scheduling of a football game.

I feel like we haven't played a Thursday night game in a while. Back in the Big East days we always played a Thursday night game but around the early 2010s or so it shifted to Friday nights.
I used to love Thursday night football so much back in the 90s/early 00s. Huge audience, whole country watching, great matchups, wild crowds. Then the NFL killed it.

I'm assuming this is the conference. It was referred to as a "large medical conference." Although it's only one weekend and it's put on by the NYS Department of Health. I'm not really sure why it would impact the scheduling of a football game.

Are there some dome upgrades they are trying to sneak into this window of time too??

I would assume it has an effect on hotel rooms maybe?

I could see it affecting hotel rooms to some extent, but I doubt something like that would have more that a few hundred attendees. Not enough to move a football game around. Perhaps there's something else unannounced?

I know when we played in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium last month most of the expenses, if not all of them, are picked up by the bowl game sponsors. SU also gets a nice check for appearing in the game.

What is SU getting to move this home game against a rival out of the Dome? And who is making the payment since this game isn't a bowl game and there don't appear to be any sponsors?

I used to love Thursday night football so much back in the 90s/early 00s. Huge audience, whole country watching, great matchups, wild crowds. Then the NFL killed it.

Surprised the NFL doesn’t have a game on every day of the week at this point.

ACC schedulers did us no favors again this year by putting our hardest games in consecutive weeks. Much prefer to stagger those more. Playing Clemson, ND, Pitt, FSU in consecutive weeks broke us this year.

If (big IF) we can get thru murderers row w/o major injury, we should be able to do some damage in November for once.

I know when we played in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium last month most of the expenses, if not all of them, are picked up by the bowl game sponsors. SU also gets a nice check for appearing in the game.

What is SU getting to move this home game against a rival out of the Dome? And who is making the payment since this game isn't a bowl game and there don't appear to be any sponsors?
The Yankees

As for the financial impact of moving the game for both the university and fans, Wildhack said he’s confident the arrangement the university has made with the Yankees will cover any additional costs SU incurs by needing to travel.

ACC schedulers did us no favors again this year by putting our hardest games in consecutive weeks. Much prefer to stagger those more. Playing Clemson, ND, Pitt, FSU in consecutive weeks broke us this year.

If (big IF) we can get thru murderers row w/o major injury, we should be able to do some damage in November for once.
Bye week comes after the hardest games which is nice. Plus one day extra rest after VT and BC games. Getting maybe the "easiest" away game late (GT) helps a lot too.

Blacksburg has been one of the places that still makes Thursday night football an event.

Of course, they hired a nobody last year and then sucked on top of it. So maybe even that fanbase has its limits.

The Yankees

As for the financial impact of moving the game for both the university and fans, Wildhack said he’s confident the arrangement the university has made with the Yankees will cover any additional costs SU incurs by needing to travel.
Yeah, well he boned Dino by moving a must win game from the Dome to YS. Great move

Turns out SU requested no October home games because it is hosting a large conference.
Boogie with da hoodie coming back to town for a concert

Never thought Chevy Chase was funny.

I'm trying to imagine watching the Underhill scene from Fletch or the many scenes of Caddyshack and thinking "I don't get why people think this is funny"

I guess we're all wired differently.

Drake Maye may be elite, but the North Carolina defense backing him up is not​

The ACC may have been down the last two years, but it does have a few teams that will be College Football Playoff viable. Those teams would include its reigning dynasty Clemson, traditional power on the come-up Florida State and good, ole North Carolina. The Tar Heels have a potential Heisman Trophy winner quarterback in Drake Maye, but man, is their defense absolutely horrifi

No, this will not stop Maye from getting to New York in early December and being at top-five pick in the 2024 NFL Draft. However, UNC is not ready to be a 10-win team this season. A big issue the Heels have to navigate is the ACC going divisionless. Factor in they end the season with Duke, Clemson and North Carolina State, and good luck with that. They will be lucky to win two of them.

Ultimately, North Carolina will have our collective attention next year for three reasons. They were a division champion a year ago, we like Mack Brown as a head coach and Maye is an absolute rockstar at quarterback. However, North Carolina's stock entering the 2023 campaign is largely inflated. It is why Clemson and Florida State are way more likely to make the playoff over them.

We have seen a quarterback of a three-loss ACC team win the Heisman before in Lamar Jackson.

Cant see how anyone can pencil in Pitt as a Win, were what like 3-17 the last twenty years against them.

Also people wont want to hear this but that Army game is far from a lock. Dino's teams are notoriously undisciplined, having to defend the triple option will be a nightmare.
Agree on the Pitt part of your post, especially now that it isn't a home game.

About the Army game though, Dino's teams are just undisciplined regarding penalties. They aren't undisciplined regarding defensive assignments. Also their lineman are likely more of a mobile technically skilled line and shouldn't manhandle us with push up the middle like some other big time teams offensive lines. We should get a W there.

Agree on the Pitt part of your post, especially now that it isn't a home game.

About the Army game though, Dino's teams are just undisciplined regarding penalties. They aren't undisciplined regarding defensive assignments. Also their lineman are likely more of a mobile technically skilled line and shouldn't manhandle us with push up the middle like some other big time teams offensive lines. We should get a W there.
I too think we better not sleep on Army.

there is a rumor army is going away from the triple option too

I'm trying to imagine watching the Underhill scene from Fletch or the many scenes of Caddyshack and thinking "I don't get why people think this is funny"

I guess we're all wired differently.
Always thought Chevy Chase was overrated in Fletch and Caddyshack and the vacations. I never understood why everyone thought he was so funny. Then as an adult Howard exposed Chevy for being an uptight condescending prxck and he was completely ruined for me.
But if you watch his old films I really don’t think his performance holds up. Everyone in his films is better than him.

In retrospect putting Chevy Chase alongside Steve Martin and Martin Short in 3 Amigos was casting malpractice

Last edited:
On the official SU calendar released on social media, the Pitt game is listed as a neutral site game. Does this mean there’s a chance we get Pitt at home in 2024? I’m guessing a big fat No otherwise we would’ve heard something.

Maybe the 2024 game can be played at eagles stadium and Pitt can call it their home game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom