2023 US Open (Golf) | Syracusefan.com

2023 US Open (Golf)

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
Might as well start a new thread for this one, as its a separate event from the PGA tour.

I hope this guy is better at golf than at haircuts -- if not it could be a very long two days for him.

1686792658239.png

Yup find their own golf ball, just like we have to league nights. you lose it take the penalty.

Early read on the scores.

42 players out (generally weaker part of the field
11 under par
14 over par

That ratio is quite high for the first players out for the US Open -- course seems to be playing relatively easy by US Open standards. I suppose it could be mix of the holes as well.
Course will get more fast and firm, but no high winds either.

We shall see, but those who bet on the over 143 for the cut (like me). might not be getting paid.
Perhaps the US Open committee will get a little trickier with the pins and setup tomorrow.

Ryo Ishikawa sighting! Remember the buzz around him when he was younger.
Currently 31 years old and #272 in the world)
In 2009, just after turning 18 he reached #29 in the world, and had a breakthrough performance at the age of 18 at the president's cup going 3-2.

Reminds me of another "young gun" around that time, who for the most part just disappeared - Matteo Mannesero (currently 30 years old and #434 in the world)
He got his 2nd win on the Euro tour just before turning 18, and reached #33 in the world.

Totally random leader board early on.

This is a US Open Course? So far, pretty disappointed. Too many innocuous holes. I mean, a 124-yard pitch and putt? A 315 yarder that pretty much everybody lays up on?

This is a US Open Course? So far, pretty disappointed. Too many innocuous holes. I mean, a 124-yard pitch and putt? A 315 yarder that pretty much everybody lays up on?
It is the only time this course has hosted a major, and frankly, I think the only reason it was selected is because the area had not hosted a US Open in 75 years.

Agree, it is not a great venue. I do not expect a return here anytime soon.

It is the only time this course has hosted a major, and frankly, I think the only reason it was selected is because the area had not hosted a US Open in 75 years.

I expect one in 2039.

Riviera is apparently gonna get 2031.

at this point its playing way over par.. 2 guys shot lights out and 30 or so 1-3 under.. 110 people +1 or worse right now.

I dont think they used any of the tricky stuff yet

at this point its playing way over par.. 2 guys shot lights out and 30 or so 1-3 under.. 110 people +1 or worse right now.

I dont think they used any of the tricky stuff yet
Well, there are 37 golfers under par.

Seems like everyone is scoring out there... except for those I bet on of course.

I expect one in 2039.

Riviera is apparently gonna get 2031.
Maybe Riviera. This is a one and down for LA CC. -25 is not the score you want for the winner of a US Open.

Maybe Riviera. This is a one and down for LA CC. -25 is not the score you want for the winner of a US Open.

They were already rewarded the 2039 US Open.

There are US Opens awarded all the way out to 2052.

About 7 or 8 open spots until 2052. … first being in 2031.

They were already rewarded the 2039 US Open.

There are US Opens awarded all the way out to 2052.

About 7 or 8 open spots until 2052. … first being in 2031.
No problem with Riviera. It is a shame they picked LACC for 2023.

This feels like the St Jude Open.

No problem with Riviera. It is a shame they picked LACC for 2023.

This feels like the St Jude Open.

The Los Angeles Country Club has already been awarded the 2039 US Open (not Riviera). That is what I meant. Apparently the USGA has wanted to host the Open here for decades, but the membership has always declined. Perhaps they will come to an agreement to void the 2039. Who knows.

They will need to make changes -- to me the most simplistic would be shrinking the fairway sizes on a number of the holes. The yardage total itself is not too bad. Fairways are much too easy to hit -- the rough is punitive (off the fairway and around the green), but when you are constantly playing from the fairway these players are much too good not to ring up a ton of Greens in Regulation and generally avoid trouble.

I guess the real question is why didn't they forecast this issue to begin with.
The US Open does seem to like these "linksy" look courses with very little trees or a lot of sandy / deserted areas.

You can tweak with courses quite a bit too make them harder for majors. I believe Torrey Pines, grows out the rough and makes the fairways narrower for the US Open. Even St. Jude (Southwind) plays a lot tougher now when they ramped up its importance on the schedule from a low tier event to a WGC / now playoff event.

Last edited:
F

For those who know the courses, did they not play at Trump LA due to optics. I played that course. It is beautiful and the PGA could make it really hard.

F

For those who know the courses, did they not play at Trump LA due to optics. I played that course. It is beautiful and the PGA could make it really hard.

Its a USGA choice not a PGA choice.

There are a lot of courses that are beautiful - that is not generally what the US Open is after. (and not its not political in the slightest)

They like hard courses with historical significance (Oakmont, Pinehurst, Shinnecock, Winged Foot, Pebble Beach, Oakland Hills) and they also seem to enjoy that "Grittier" look to a course (for example what Pinehurst did with its restoration) Those are all historically relevant courses. Apparently the Los Angeles CC has been a club they wanted for a long time as well

Trump National is clearly not at that calibre from a historical reputation. Also a lot of courses that seem hard to us minions can be easily destroyed by PGA tour members.

Last edited:
F

Besides what jncuse mentioned, you need 36 holes to accommodate parking and concessions (much of the alternate course gets torn to shreds), and/or ample parking or mass transit. Most courses are in “leafy” suburbs without easy ingress/egress.
Brookline has 27 holes and a train stop right next to the club.
That course in Palos Verdes Estates has none of that going for it.

You also need adequate hotel accommodations. I think that probably takes Bandon, Sand Hills, Streamsong and others out of play.

They keep calling the course a 'masterpiece'. Yeah, if you want the winner of the US Open to be 20 under.

Azinger pointed out that PGA players hit about 58% of the fairways during the season. They were hitting 66% of the fairways today. In the US Open.

I look forward to this tournament more than any other each year because of how challenging it is. This is very disappointing, especially since some of this could/should have been anticipated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom