2023 US Open (Golf) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2023 US Open (Golf)

The TV coverage sucks. Where is the shot tracer?

The ESPN+ and CBS is far from perfect but it is usually waaaay better than what I’ve watched so far this week. Hopefully the weekend is better.
I have seen shot tracer for a huge number of shots? They only do on certain holes with the special camera/shot equipment just like every other week?

I also think some of this is because of the course layout. Much like the british open coverage is vastly different.

cut line moves to +2 and still a chance to go to +3. the course has gotten much harder this afternoon as it dries out.

I have seen shot tracer for a huge number of shots? They only do on certain holes with the special camera/shot equipment just like every other week?

I also think some of this is because of the course layout. Much like the british open coverage is vastly different.
I have a featured group on one tv and the main feed on the other and I am seeing it much less than I usually do. In fairness to NBC Sports I am also cranky today.

It doesn't help that every golfer I bet on is going to make the cut but Xander is the only one within shouting distance. And he has no business finishing where he will on the leaderboard today.

At least I didn't bet JT.

I have a featured group on one tv and the main feed on the other and I am seeing it much less than I usually do. In fairness to NBC Sports I am also cranky today.

It doesn't help that every golfer I bet on is going to make the cut but Xander is the only one within shouting distance. And he has no business finishing where he will on the leaderboard today.

At least I didn't bet JT.

I honor you for your honesty. More posters should be willing to admit that when they feel obliged to say something cranky.

Fowler’s group (and every other group for the most part) just finished in a breezy 5:30.

Ballsy finish by Xander. I think it’ll be him or DJ on Sunday.

He was mad that the course is so easy

I'm ok with LACC as it's volatile from a shot by shot perspective if your out of position. Not a fan of the NBC coverage as you had to jump through hoops between USA Network, Peacock, NBC and USGA to follow along. Watched for 6 hours today and saw Min Woo Lee hit one replay shot and he shot the best round of the day at 65. You might be asking yourself, Lord Ashby why do can care about Min Woo Lee? Answer - because I have $20 free bet that pays $3k. Love night time golf.

its not much different than any major though.. when its on espn you get a feed on the stream that rolls to the main channel around noon to 1 and then jumps to another at like 3-4pm thats how the masters worked..

The only redeeming quality of this event so far is that we get to see night golf on the East Coast. Tonight the leaders tee off after 6:30. Pretty excited for that.

I like Dustin Johnson at 12-1... his bounce back after his quadruple bogey on #2 yesterday was pretty impressive.

I settled into the course yesterday and accepted it for what it is - its not terrible, its nowhere near great for a US open either. Would be a good elevated PGA event site.

Its fairly volatile out there which is good from a viewership perspective. So it should make for an entertaining weekend. I have plenty of respect for Rickie Fowler, so would like to see him unexpectedly pull one out. I suspect he bows out on the final 9.

Yes there are a lot of birdies out there, but there has been a lot more birdies at US Opens for a while, although this one is even more elevated - Erin Hills, 2019 Pebble. I think I will enjoy this one more than those two.

I like Dustin Johnson at 12-1... his bounce back after his quadruple bogey on #2 yesterday was pretty impressive.
I settled into the course yesterday and accepted it for what it is - its not terrible, its nowhere near great for a US open either. Would be a good elevated PGA event site.

Its fairly volatile out there which is good from a viewership perspective. So it should make for an entertaining weekend. I have plenty of respect for Rickie Fowler, so would like to see him unexpectedly pull one out. I suspect he bows out on the final 9.

Yes there are a lot of birdies out there, but there has been a lot more birdies at US Opens for a while, although this one is even more elevated - Erin Hills, 2019 Pebble. I think I will enjoy this one more than those two.
Good analysis.

The course played tougher in the afternoon, when the sun came out and made the greens harder to hold.

The forecast calls for sun the rest of the weekend, so it looks like the winning score will be closer to -15 than -25.

I can live with that.

This tournament reminds me while I stopped betting on golf. This is probably the first tournament this year where I have laid a number of bets.

My 3 picks at reasonable odds were Hovland, Morikawa, Cameron Smith... they are all still out there, but not really in contention either. So I dropped some money on Dustin Johnson at 12-1. Always throw some top 5/top 20 stuff on the Canadians and they were duds as well.

Also have Sam Bennett at 350-1 from a Friday morning bet.. threw some small money bets on a handful of longer odd players Friday morning , .. Inspired by Nick Taylor winning the Canadian Open despite being in 120th place after Thursday. None of them really paid off exceot for Bennett.

Did have Justin Thomas missing the cut at +175. I don't like that guy, and those usually inspire my "Miss Cut" bets.

Good analysis.

The course played tougher in the afternoon, when the sun came out and made the greens harder to hold.

The forecast calls for sun the rest of the weekend, so it looks like the winning score will be closer to -15 than -25.

I can live with that.

I think the winner will come in around -12 to -14. There might be one outlier who pulls away from the field and gets past -15, but I think that will only be one player. There are low scores out there, but still only about 20% of the field break par in a round. (or about 1/3 of the more serious players). As long as those low score outliers are not the leaders, should keep the scores within reason.

I have the same exact thought on DJ. But I think I’m just going to ride with Xander. He really should have finished -10/-11 yesterday. Incredible T2G just let himself down with the putter.

I think Rickie is too volatile to hang on. I’m just waiting on Rory to have a meltdown at some point and if he doesn’t, oh well. Sometimes you just lose bets because a superstar plays like a superstar.

Holding on to a little hope that Si Woo, Hatton, Cantlay or Hideki explodes today but I just can’t see anyone shooting 8 under on the weekend.

I had Clark when he won Wells Fargo this year and he was absolute nails battling Xander on Sunday. Wouldn’t be shocked if he pulls it out.

Sticking to X or DJ, though. Should be fun.

Scheffler wins if the course starts playing much harder. His ball striking is unreal.

I guess it's like a British course in that it depends on the weather, in this case whether the greens are wet or dry. It can be easy or major tournament tough.

I guess it's like a British course in that it depends on the weather, in this case whether the greens are wet or dry. It can be easy or major tournament tough.

The odd thing though is that the greens are apparently still "relatively" soft, according to a few comments made by the announcers.

I know it has been more cloudy than sunny recently, but I don't think it has been wet either for a while (I stand to be corrected).

I'm just surprised that the greens are still not that hard given how firm the rest of the course is.

Last edited:
#6 is a good short par 4 hole.
Tend not to see that many in the US Open - more on the PGA tour.

Scoring is still quite good today... 17 under par and 14 over par.
Although the front nine and beginning holes are easier, and most of the field has not played the tough 16-18 hole stretch that will bring down scores.

The US Open aura seems to have caught up to the amateurs that made the cut, who are generally the ones getting beaten up out there today... all 4 of the amateurs on the course are +2 or over on their round today (in aggregate +12 over 38 holes)

Last edited:
If Scottie makes this eagle putt he wins the tournament

Well Xander is done. That was a fun five minutes of golf for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom