2023 US Open (Golf) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023 US Open (Golf)

As long as Xander (or Si Woo) wins the final score can be -32 for all I care.

I do think it is going to be harder on the weekend. Today was still crazy, though.

so after rd one when its playing as easy as it can 23% of the field is under par
last yr at brookline 17% were under par so it played a bit easier today..

last yr of the people who missed the cut only 2 were under par after day 1.. you better be close day 1 i guess

6 guys were better than -3 today
last yr 1 guy was -4 after rd 1.

those 6 guys going several shots better skewed how easy the course was. lots of guys going 2-3 under is normal day 1.

The USGA is ruthless. There’s no way they will allow a -20 score. I expect they will tuck pins and make things significantly faster. We’ve seen plenty of majors that have had low scores in the first round that have leveled out

so after rd one when its playing as easy as it can 23% of the field is under par

last yr of the people who missed the cut only 2 were under par after day 1.. you better be close day 1 i guess

those 6 guys going several shots better skewed how easy the course was. lots of guys going 2-3 under is normal day 1.

It was the lowest scoring round in US Open history by a full shot. That’s like a multiple standard deviation event. The USGA whiffed.

The USGA is ruthless. There’s no way they will allow a -20 score. I expect they will tuck pins and make things significantly faster. We’ve seen plenty of majors that have had low scores in the first round that have leveled out
70 degrees with little wind (like it’s been for months here) makes it hard for them to defend the course at this time. If they create carnival-like pin placements the uproar could be even worse.

70 degrees with little wind (like it’s been for months here) makes it hard for them to defend the course at this time. If they create carnival-like pin placements the uproar could be even worse.
Good point. It's not like it could have been reasonably expected that weather could have made the course more difficult. Temperate conditions are the norm, not the exception.

The Los Angeles Country Club has already been awarded the 2039 US Open (not Riviera). That is what I meant. Apparently the USGA has wanted to host the Open here for decades, but the membership has always declined. Perhaps they will come to an agreement to void the 2039. Who knows.

They will need to make changes -- to me the most simplistic would be shrinking the fairway sizes on a number of the holes. The yardage total itself is not too bad. Fairways are much too easy to hit -- the rough is punitive (off the fairway and around the green), but when you are constantly playing from the fairway these players are much too good not to ring up a ton of Greens in Regulation and generally avoid trouble.

I guess the real question is why didn't they forecast this issue to begin with.
The US Open does seem to like these "linksy" look courses with very little trees or a lot of sandy / deserted areas.

You can tweak with courses quite a bit too make them harder for majors. I believe Torrey Pines, grows out the rough and makes the fairways narrower for the US Open. Even St. Jude (Southwind) plays a lot tougher now when they ramped up its importance on the schedule from a low tier event to a WGC / now playoff event.
I am probably not being fair to the course but I love watching the US Open more than any other golf tournament because the course is set up to make it exceedingly difficult for the players to score well.

I want to see them grind like hell to shoot par for a round.

This is a huge disappointment.

Its an interesting counter point - a little bit of A, and little bit of B here in terms of our discussion.

The cut at Brookline came in at 143. It looks like the cut here will probably come in at 142 (possibly 141, and less possibly 143).

It does seem this course his higher variability in scoring which is not a bad thing. There is more really bad **** here than Brookline, but its also easier to keep it on the fairway and greens so you can get higher scores.

I don't have the history but I suspect the cut of 143 (+3) at Brookline was also historically quite low by US Open Standards. That course did toughen up over the weekend (IIRC it was partly the elements)... no bad weather forecast here.

Last edited:
I am probably not being fair to the course but I love watching the US Open more than any other golf tournament because the course is set up to make it exceedingly difficult for the players to score well.

I want to see them grind like hell to shoot par for a round.

This is a huge disappointment.

The USGA had a number of "poorer" received tournament in the 2010's - Congressional and Erin Hills because the scoring was too good... and Chambers Bay. And none are on the list of future sites, and I don't think they will ever be in consideration again. If LACC did not have that commitment for 2039, they may have been in the same fate.

As I noted above, the USGA has awarded 20 of the next 28 opens until 2051, and have loaded up on tradition reach past US Open Sites.

For those wondering, if you go to the bottom of the Wiki Page you seeall the future sites of US Open ... they have loaded up on traditional US Open courses -- Pinehurst (5 future commitments), Oakmont (4), Pebble Beach (4), Merion (2), Oakland Hills (2)

It is interesting for those in the NY Area, that after Shinnecock in 2026 and Winged Foot in 2028, there are no future US Open's currently planned there. I have to suspect some of the 8 openings between 2031 and 2051, are coming somewhere in the area -- perhaps they look at Bethpage again?

The “Let it snow” someone yelled off DJ’s tee shot just now made me laugh very hard

I ust laughed now when the announcer said Dustin Johnson just got a snowman -- even if it is a normal term for when somebody gets an 8. Blowing his tournament on hole #2 with some stupid decisions.

Maybe Dustin let it snow a little too much last night?

Last edited:
I would think they did enough research to know how hard this course can play if they want it to. its LA so the weather is probably pretty consistent compared to other locations.. I do wonder why such huge fairways but I thinks its partly because the goal of the OPEN is the rough is a 1 shot penalty, but this course has so much other crap that if the fairways were not generous the rough would make it even worse and then the tough crap becomes even that much harder.?

lets see where day 2 ends up. It may well be that after 4 days the winner is not even 8 under or 15 under we dont know. if its pushing past that I dont think they will like it.

so far today 60-70 people out and no real movement but it seems these birdies come in certain sections of the course it can change fast.

But prime time golf is great.

The USGA had a number of "poorer" received tournament in the 2010's - Congressional and Erin Hills because the scoring was too good... and Chambers Bay. And none are on the list of future sites, and I don't think they will ever be in consideration again. If LACC did not have that commitment for 2039, they may have been in the same fate.

As I noted above, the USGA has awarded 20 of the next 28 opens until 2051, and have loaded up on tradition reach past US Open Sites.

For those wondering, if you go to the bottom of the Wiki Page you seeall the future sites of US Open ... they have loaded up on traditional US Open courses -- Pinehurst (5 future commitments), Oakmont (4), Pebble Beach (4), Merion (2), Oakland Hills (2)

It is interesting for those in the NY Area, that after Shinnecock in 2026 and Winged Foot in 2028, there are no future US Open's currently planned there. I have to suspect some of the 8 openings between 2031 and 2051, are coming somewhere in the area -- perhaps they look at Bethpage again?
Congressional is instructive. Pretty sure that rain softened up the course and took away all its defenses. It had previously served as a sterner test (remember Ken Venturi?). In this case, the relative lack of difficulty was predictable. Oh, well, Pinehurst next year. Last time the Open was played there, the winning score was one-under.

I ust laughed now when the announcer said Dustin Johnson just got a snowman -- even if it is a normal term for when somebody gets an 8. Blowing his tournament on hole #2 with some stupid decisions.

Maybe Dustin let it snow a little too much last night?
If that’s how Paulina wanted to spend the night you certainly wouldn’t find me telling her no

Course is playing just as easy today, perhaps even a tad easier.

Early on today 18 players under par, 20 over par. There was a time early yesterday where I measured it where the ratio was 14/24.

LOL at the driving map fhey just showed for hole #4.
96% of the field hits the fairway, as everything feeds to one area.

I threw a few bucks down on whether there would be a hole in one in the tourney or not... I believe the odds were Yes at -130.

I figured with 5 par 3's there had to be at least one. There has now already been 3.
About the only good bet I made.

They keep calling the course a 'masterpiece'. Yeah, if you want the winner of the US Open to be 20 under.
It is set up that way because the Personal Wellness Code of Cal. mandates that all participants in sports end the event (the term competition is banned) feeling positive about themselves.

Last edited:
$25 on each of these dudes to win 2 hrs before tourney started.
Schauffle 18-1
Hovland 18-1
DeChambeau 45-1
Wyndam Clark 75-1

Currently in front by one with Ricky and Xander yet to tee off. Current Fan Duel cash out for Clark is $291.23

images

The TV coverage sucks. Where is the shot tracer?

The ESPN+ and CBS is far from perfect but it is usually waaaay better than what I’ve watched so far this week. Hopefully the weekend is better.

I'm going to keep saying it, but I would love to see Oak Hill get a US Open again. But there's some great options already in the Northeast so I'm not expecting it happen

The pace of play is horrific

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom