2023 US Open (Golf) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2023 US Open (Golf)

He was closer than Scottie who put it in there.

Either way we are constantly told (Zinger being the latest, all day building him up) that Rory is a cut above the rest of the PGA. Clearly he is not.

Admittedly I have been spoiled by years of Tiger doing Tiger things. I absolutely expect Rory to do something great at the end and time and time again he doesn't.

The narrative on the PGA tour this year to me seems that its being dominated by two players, Scottie Scheffler and Jon Rahm. (and the correct one to me)

Who exactly (beyond Paul) is constantly saying he is clearly the best on the PGA tour? And who is comparing him to Tiger (as of today not 2014)? Not to say he is not disappointing in the majors since 2014.

Rory is the face of the PGA Tour in its fight against LIV - he is probably the most popular player on tour right now (that plays), but nobody that I know is saying he is clearly the best either. They acknowledge him as one of the world's best which is pretty fair (world rank #3).

Last edited:
A few thoughts from the final round of the US Open. I may in some instances compare this to experience at the PHX Waste Management Open, where we go every year.

1. To say LACC feels private is an understatement. It’s literally 320 acres in BVH/LA on Santa Monica and in some respects you wouldn’t even know it’s there. They used parts of the South course as a parking lot. No shortage of Ferraris there.

2. Got goosebumps walking in. The mystique of the tourney, the course, spending Father’s Day with my 13 year old and hoping beyond hope that Rory would win.

3. The course is magnificent visually. Much less so from a fan perspective. They have exactly 1 memorable hole (6) and maybe 15 which are memorable. The rest are nothing special.

4. The course set up from a fan perspective was an absolute disaster imo. Compared to a Stadium course like WMO where fans can literally sit anywhere and see everything the opposite is true at LACC. The fairways and greens are elevated and greens are high while fans are low meaning you can see virtually nothing. Also all the big holes tees and greens collide and you cannot go there. The first tee and 10th tee and 18th green are all in the same spot. No fans. Similarly on 13 and 14 where back 9 action builds the green on 13 and tee on 14 were totally blocked off. Rope lines just dead ended and you had to back track to continue. And the terrain is tough to walk. This was with 20k fans. WMO does 200k easily and you can see everything and get close to the players. Major revisions needed before 2039.

5. All in all a great experience on a historic course. If Rory could have made anything he wins. I don’t understand how a player that hits it like he does doesn’t win more. His putter is his weakest link.

6. Bryson D and Dustin J were some of the only pros to interact with the kids. Maybe the liv badmouthing is overdone. The PGA guys were totally unengaged.

A few thoughts from the final round of the US Open. I may in some instances compare this to experience at the PHX Waste Management Open, where we go every year.

1. To say LACC feels private is an understatement. It’s literally 320 acres in BVH/LA on Santa Monica and in some respects you wouldn’t even know it’s there. They used parts of the South course as a parking lot. No shortage of Ferraris there.

2. Got goosebumps walking in. The mystique of the tourney, the course, spending Father’s Day with my 13 year old and hoping beyond hope that Rory would win.

3. The course is magnificent visually. Much less so from a fan perspective. They have exactly 1 memorable hole (6) and maybe 15 which are memorable. The rest are nothing special.

4. The course set up from a fan perspective was an absolute disaster imo. Compared to a Stadium course like WMO where fans can literally sit anywhere and see everything the opposite is true at LACC. The fairways and greens are elevated and greens are high while fans are low meaning you can see virtually nothing. Also all the big holes tees and greens collide and you cannot go there. The first tee and 10th tee and 18th green are all in the same spot. No fans. Similarly on 13 and 14 where back 9 action builds the green on 13 and tee on 14 were totally blocked off. Rope lines just dead ended and you had to back track to continue. And the terrain is tough to walk. This was with 20k fans. WMO does 200k easily and you can see everything and get close to the players. Major revisions needed before 2039.

5. All in all a great experience on a historic course. If Rory could have made anything he wins. I don’t understand how a player that hits it like he does doesn’t win more. His putter is his weakest link.

6. Bryson D and Dustin J were some of the only pros to interact with the kids. Maybe the liv badmouthing is overdone. The PGA guys were totally unengaged.
That putt that popped out on 18 for the amateur looked like the cup wasn't put in deep enough, which if true is inexcusable.

On point 6 at Wells Fargo a few years back my buddy's kid waited on players exiting range . DeChambeau was the only guy who spoke to his son and signed everything.

Some questionable golf right now under Sunday pressure.
Single digits might win this thing.

EDIT - Clark in more crap again it appears.
After watching the bogey on 15, 16 by Clark and his not great 2nd shot on 17 I was thinking collapse by Clark and I cashed out at $967. I know if I hung on I would have won $1900 on my $25 bet at 75-1, but hindsight 20-20 and bird in hand. My mistake was being so locked in on the cash out figures. By the mid back 9 it was clear McIlroy was the only other golfer that had a chance to win. After Clark birdies 14 and established that 3 shot lead that would've been McIlroy's most juicy live line odds. That would've been the time to throw $200 on Rory. I don't know what the odds were but I'd assume at that point Clark was negative odds and Rory might have been let's say 5-1. Assuming that price I lock in either a $1000 payday or a net $1700 if Clark hangs on.

Wyndham “don’t call me double tree” Clark went out and grabbed it. No one else stepped up.
Shawn-Michaels-Undertaker-WrestleMania-645x370.jpg

He was closer than Scottie who put it in there.

Either way we are constantly told (Zinger being the latest, all day building him up) that Rory is a cut above the rest of the PGA. Clearly he is not.

Admittedly I have been spoiled by years of Tiger doing Tiger things. I absolutely expect Rory to do something great at the end and time and time again he doesn't.
Was watching Sunday with my pops and he said without that constant leaderboard in the corner you'd have no idea Clark was ahead.

Had tix to the 2020 US Open at Winged Foot that got nuked by Covid :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom