2023 US Open (Golf) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2023 US Open (Golf)

Maybe play faster than 4:20 for a 2-some where you have forecaddies on every hole?
well how much faster could they have played? they were basically 10+min behind the group ahead of them
the tee off 11 min apart the couldnt have played 30 min faster if they wanted too.

I do wonder just how dark it was though? I mean they got done 8pm. its a week before the longest day of the year or so. our league plays until 830 all the time this part of the yr. Maybe the haze made it darker?

Regarding the crowd size.

I read from various comments on twitter (so the accuracy on the items below is not 100%) that the crowd for the tournament was restricted to 22,000. Also noted that.

1. 14,000 Corporate, 8,000 General Admission - The Price for General Admission Tickets was $330 daily which also tends to bring in a certain quieter crowd. 22,000 seems quite small for a fairly large course. I'm sure that is exceeded by a number of regular PGA events

2. Membership bought some of the tickets to keep the crowd down (whether they bought it down to 22,000 or bought some of the 22,000 is unclear)

3. The initial restriction on the # of fans was one of the conditions that the LACC wanted to host, and the USGA agreed to

4. Apparently an LACC request is also responsible for the ropes hardly ever being that close to the play in the fairway and even on some greens -- inherently the course setup itself also makes it harder for fans to get up close on many holes.

Regarding the above / low crowd size and the LACC working to keep it down.

I have started to settle in on the course. Its not great, but its OK -- the scores in the end will actually be lower than 2019 Pebble -- and it can be a volatile course which is entertaining. I'm sure with some tweaks it could be fine in 2039.

But, the membership seems to be complete knobs. They even make Augusta look sorta good. Restrictions on crowd sizes, viewing points, buying tickets. Then we hear things about how they operate as a membership outside of the event. Listen if they don't want to fully engage in the US Open process that is their choice. But then agree to void the 2039 event as well.

My prediction is that at some point over the next few years, the 2039 event will be mutually voided. And it will be truly mutual. The USGA got their wish to host here, and it probably didn't go as well as hoped. And many of the LACC members it seems will be content to let it go away as well - it always a membership that was hard to convince to host.

Last edited:
The reason they left the fairways so wide is the membership didn't want the U.S OPEN to interfere with their daily play. Same thing happened at Congressional.

I have started to settle in on the course. Its not great, but its OK -- the scores in the end will actually be lower than 2019 Pebble -- and it can be a volatile course which is entertaining. I'm sure with some tweaks it could be fine in 2039.

But, the membership seems to be complete knobs. They even make Augusta look sorta good. Restrictions on crowd sizes, viewing points, buying tickets. Then we hear things about how they operate as a membership outside of the event. Listen if they don't want to fully engage in the US Open process that is their choice. But then agree to void the 2039 event as well.

My prediction is that at some point over the next few years, the 2039 event will be mutually voided. And it will be truly mutual. The USGA got their wish to host here, and it probably didn't go as well as hoped. And many of the LACC members it seems will be content to let it go away as well - it always a membership that was hard to convince to host.
Agreed. Not fond of the course or the club. No need to return.

The course reminds me in a way of Chambers Bay: very much unlike the courses the tour normally plays on, with some really gadget holes. Yeah, Whistling Straits and Kiawah are something like that also.

And it's pretty cool that 51 year old Padraig Harrington is at -1. :)

the fact that they are hosting on a course on land worth 6 billion is pretty cool though.

yep I read some of the general rules of being a member of the club and there was some strange stuff. Not really my cup of tea even if I could afford it.

$25 on each of these dudes to win 2 hrs before tourney started.
Schauffle 18-1
Hovland 18-1
DeChambeau 45-1
Wyndam Clark 75-1

Currently in front by one with Ricky and Xander yet to tee off. Current Fan Duel cash out for Clark is $291.23

images
This morning Fan Duel is offering me a cash out of $365 for Clark. Usually a golfer playing the final group on a major Saturday for the first time crumbles, but Wyndam did not. He also won a designated event (Wells Fargo) 6 weeks ago against a strong field. I think he can win, or at the very least stay in it long enough to pump up that cash out value.

I do wonder just how dark it was though? I mean they got done 8pm. its a week before the longest day of the year or so. our league plays until 830 all the time this part of the yr. Maybe the haze made it darker?

I went out for food at 8:20 and there was still 5-10 minutes of light left easily. Sunset was 8:07.

Are they on the course by themselves?

His beef should be with his fellow competitors. A two-some should be able to get around in 3:45 max imo. But unless you're a 14-old from China you never gets punished for slow play.

This tournament reminds me while I stopped betting on golf. This is probably the first tournament this year where I have laid a number of bets.

My 3 picks at reasonable odds were Hovland, Morikawa, Cameron Smith... they are all still out there, but not really in contention either. So I dropped some money on Dustin Johnson at 12-1. Always throw some top 5/top 20 stuff on the Canadians and they were duds as well.

Also have Sam Bennett at 350-1 from a Friday morning bet.. threw some small money bets on a handful of longer odd players Friday morning , .. Inspired by Nick Taylor winning the Canadian Open despite being in 120th place after Thursday. None of them really paid off exceot for Bennett.

Did have Justin Thomas missing the cut at +175. I don't like that guy, and those usually inspire my "Miss Cut" bets.
I understand not liking guys like Reed or DeChambeau, but why Thomas?

I understand not liking guys like Reed or DeChambeau, but why Thomas?

It's mild level of dislike.

Cocky. Whiny or pouty at times -- often acts like a child. That fits the profile of a lot of players on tour I suppose, so I am singling him out for whatever reason. But its often just a demeanor thing that for whatever reason irks me, more than it irks others I suppose. Examples would be at team events where acts like a clown when he is not given putts that should not be given. Or the way he conspired with Spieth to break up the Spieth / Reed pairing at Ryder Cups -- as much as Reed is a terrible person that was not good.

Of course he is not at Patrick Reed level. Or Phil Mickelson. I just dislike Thomas a bit. The other two are at a much more elevated spot on the dislike meter. With Phil its hate.

Last edited:
Just remembered about 20 minutes ago that Tommy Fleetwood was one of the longshot guys I threw money at on Saturday morning each-way betting. 450-1 to win, 90-1 for top 5.

Seems to be running good with the pressure totally off, which is fairly normal for him.

Was thinking he probably has to get it up to -7 ... of course he just bogeys now. -5 or -6 is just not going to get in the top 5... too many good scores out there.

Unexpected start for the two best farther out contenders entering the day - Schauffele and Johnson. English also bowing out early.

Solidifying this as a 4 person race at this point between Fowler, Clark, Rory, Scheffler. Not really cheering against any - would like Fowler to pull it out. Also like Rory, perhaps he won't gag today.

Unexpected start for the two best farther out contenders entering the day - Schauffele and Johnson. English also bowing out early.

Solidifying this as a 4 person race at this point between Fowler, Clark, Rory, Scheffler. Not really cheering against any - would like Fowler to pull it out. Also like Rory, perhaps he won't gag today.
Same. My rooting interest today is Rickie, Rory, Clark and Scheffler a distant 4th. Nothing against Scottie, and it's not like I will root against him, but he's too vanilla for me.

I do really dislike NBC's golf coverage. Not even close to CBS.

Get hot Xander get to -9 give me a sweat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom