2023 Yankees Season | Page 83 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Yankees Season

What the Yankees did today makes no sense. We are seeing tonight that the team isn't a WS contender. So why not sell the few assets that they have?

Sell or give away?

Sounds like there was some interest in Gleyber, but Cashman wanted more than what was offered.

What the Yankees did today makes no sense. We are seeing tonight that the team isn't a WS contender. So why not sell the few assets that they have?

This article by Sherman sums up what I was thinking today. It wasn't about today. It was about what led to today.

It's hard to fathom how far Stanton has fallen, just abysmal.
This is why 90% of the time I think that massive long term contracts are a mistake.

This article by Sherman sums up what I was thinking today. It wasn't about today. It was about what led to today.

Great article. This team needed a massive sell off and a way to get out of these bloated contracts. Today was a day to start it.

Maybe when the new acquisitions get integrated into the team we’ll be ok. No really, same boat next year with Cole’s opt out staring them in the face they better trade him at the deadline for some team’s minor league system.

Last edited:
I am at-peace with occasionally having a bad season (by Yankee standards), especially if there were hope for the future. I don't see a vision for this team moving forward. The plan seems to be a rotation anchored by Cole and Rodon, a lineup with Judge and Stanton, and filling-in the rest with random pieces. I'm not privy to organizational conversations, and I don't know how they truly value their own prospects, but I'm not optimistic about the next few years. It is a shame because this is when those big contracts (Judge & Cole) are providing the most value. Their primes are being wasted.

It will never cease to amaze me that the Yankees, who already had a (younger) power hitting right fielder, and an owner who doesn’t like luxury taxes, agreed to take on that contract.
I was in the minority, but even at the trade time I never liked the trade. Everyone said the Yanks fleeced the Marlins, but it was actually the other way around.

I was in the minority, but even at the trade time I never liked the trade. Everyone said the Yanks fleeced the Marlins, but it was actually the other way around.

If I recall, Marlins had new ownership (the early Jeter days), and the first thing they needed to do, while unpopular, was free themselves of that contract that the previous owners had just agreed to.

It would have been an ARod/Texas Rangers noose around their necks and they'd still be suffering from it.

Now, like the O's, they've turned things around with good scouting and making the most of great draft picks year after year.

By holding onto mediocre Gleyber Torres the Yankees now put themselves in a position where they either hold him for his last year of control (at an arb of like $14M) and either lose him at the end of next season for nothing but a compensatory draft pick or even worse have to sign him to a multi-year big money contract. More inept management from Cashman. Do you think this is how the Rays would have handled things?

By holding onto mediocre Gleyber Torres the Yankees now put themselves in a position where they either hold him for his last year of control (at an arb of like $14M) and either lose him at the end of next season for nothing but a compensatory draft pick or even worse have to sign him to a multi-year big money contract. More inept management from Cashman. Do you think this is how the Rays would have handled things?
What were the Yankees offered for Torres?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom