2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

Personal rights trump “college sports” in order of importance.
The major college sports have brought great revenue and riches to all but those who are the product, many of whom come from less than prosperous homes and neighborhoods.
There has been freedom of movement for everyone else involved, just not the players.
The alleged payoff, a college degree, is as likely as not achieved.
This is all spot on.

Personal rights trump “college sports” in order of importance.
The major college sports have brought great revenue and riches to all but those who are the product, many of whom come from less than prosperous homes and neighborhoods.
There has been freedom of movement for everyone else involved, just not the players.
The alleged payoff, a college degree, is as likely as not achieved.

So make it professional and you have contracts as such. To me that’s middle ground. It destroys college sports as being amateur but might preserve it in the sense of many institutions major athletics still matter and aren’t replaced by say a B version of the G league.

Right now how the portal is setup isn’t really providing the kind of benefits that real free agency or a pro contract would to all parties involved. Kids are leaving on promises to which who knows how many are kept and the premise of best interest and need is a gray area. I could care less the harm it does for the schools or the NCAA. This is about something that isn’t sustainable unless it’s wrangled into whatever the best final form is so the dust can settle around the athlete centric pay revenue model.

So make it professional and you have contracts as such. To me that’s middle ground. It destroys college sports as being amateur but might preserve it in the sense of many institutions major athletics still matter and aren’t replaced by say a B version of the G league.
It would destroy the higher education institutions.

Is that not a likely future outcome anyways though at this rate? Seems the hourglass is pouring towards that outcome or some version of it anyways…

Is that not a likely future outcome anyways though at this rate? Seems the hourglass is pouring towards that outcome or some version of it anyways…
If I had to bet on it...I believe the SEC/B10 sports first school will do it with a group of "others" and the rest will slowly back out of sports unless they figure out a way to make money in the new world.

I do think this is clearly a depth piece.

6’0 who scored 10ppg and 41% from the field. Turns the ball over

But he was 89% from the line and had a 30% assist rate. He also seems to rate out well as a defender.
That would be my hope and wouldn't be a bad idea if our main target is more of a combo guard. Always needs depth at the position.

No, because as imperfect as it is, NIL money doesn't cross over with operational money for the institution. Keep in mind I'm talking not just about athletic department funds but the whole of operational expenses for the institution.

You make the student-athletes into employees and that dynamic changes in a way that I believe results in the destruction of American higher ed as we know it.

To which some say "good, maybe higher ed should be destroyed," to which I then respond that I agree it has massive imperfections, but the pathway to improving it isn't via anti-intellectualism and self-cannibilization merging an academic mission and the objectives of professional sports into one entity.

No, because as imperfect as it is, NIL money doesn't cross over with operational money for the institution. Keep in mind I'm talking not just about athletic department funds but the whole of operational expenses for the institution.

You make the student-athletes into employees and that dynamic changes in a way that I believe results in the destruction of American higher ed as we know it.

To which some say "good, maybe higher ed should be destroyed," to which I then respond that I agree it has massive imperfections, but the pathway to improving it isn't via anti-intellectualism and self-cannibilization merging an academic mission and the objectives of professional sports into one entity.

I guess over time we will truly find out the institutional dependency on athletics as the fan base and large part of the athletic revenue base shrinks due to the current state maintaining indefinitely. I don’t see how the current state can ever normalize back into the same level of interest that existed prior. One small example… In 20 yrs are guys who played one year at an institution the bastion of a programs past to speak to future generations or does that alumni family breakdown to the point you are losing support and money from every direction?

I think they will be able to continue to provide rock climbing walls, multiple dining facilties, 1+1 dorms, various administrators, directors, assistant directors, vice presidents of synergistic paradigm shifting, boutique majors, and possibly just maybe have a few adjuncts educate a classroom of kids in a 1930s building with asbestos, lead paint, and grossly inefficient heating.

I guess over time we will truly find out the institutional dependency on athletics as the fan base and large part of the athletic revenue base shrinks due to the current state maintaining indefinitely. I don’t see how the current state can ever normalize back into the same level of interest that existed prior. One small example… In 20 yrs are guys who played one year at an institution the bastion of a programs past to speak to future generations or does that alumni family breakdown to the point you are losing support and money from every direction?
Yeah I think actually the collectives really broke what could have worked with NIL (ducks and covers).

With NIL there was a natural check - the investment in the student-athlete's name and likeness needed to make some business sense, otherwise that well dries up fast.

Collectives don't have a business. They don't have a P&L. They're an end unto themselves that are a market distortion.

I think they will be able to continue to provide rock climbing walls, multiple dining facilties, 1+1 dorms, various administrators, directors, assistant directors, vice presidents of synergistic paradigm shifting, boutique majors, and possibly just maybe have a few adjuncts educate a classroom of kids in a 1930s building with asbestos, lead paint, and grossly inefficient heating.
Yeah you're not wrong but let's keep the issues separate here. That all falls in that "massive imperfections" bucket I mentioned.

If fans have been footing the bill, I don't see why the schools can't figure it out.
I'm not even going to begin to deconstruct the pure unadulterated wrongness of that sentiment.

Yeah you're not wrong but let's keep the issues separate here. That all falls in that "massive imperfections" bucket I mentioned.
The NCAA and colleges/universities have brought this on themselves because the revenue was sooooooo good and they didn't have to share. Zero sympathies. Since the 30s at least, they've been artificially maintaining semi-professional sports leagues with legally dubious rules and various levels of CalvinBall keeping players as more or less indentured servants because people are afraid of what might happen to the administration of universities where the mission statement is should be: educate kids.

Separate the revenue sports from the universities.

I'm not even going to begin to deconstruct the pure unadulterated wrongness of that sentiment.
Is it any more "wrong" than fans essentially paying the players through these collectives? I didn't say it was right, just that the schools have resources and it comes down to whether or not they want to play ball when that time comes.