2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

I have a question regarding players that Syracuse recruited and that went to other schools and are now in the portal.

Why does Syracuse want any player that is leaving their schools to go into the portal? There are various reasons that someone goes into the portal (looking for more playing time, transferring to be closer to home, more NIL$, change in coaching and finally just didn’t like the school). Still if an ancillary reason is that they did not perform up to expectations, why take a risk on those players?

If the coaching staff believes that any portal player has unrealized potential, sure I understand taking a flyer. Don’t feel that there is a guaranteed player that will improve team in the next year. There is risk in selecting any player (portal or high school). Look at last year’s portal. Kyle Cuffe, Jr, JJ Starling, Chance Westry and McLoed all transferred in. I am personally happy that Starling is in a Syracuse uniform where other fans say that he isn’t living up to expectations. McLoed got hurt but was not a good player to bring with. He had size which can’t be taught. Westry who has been hyped never got on to the court due to injuries. Cuffe injured initially never really saw significant playing time.

Where I think that portal helped Syracuse last year, the portal class grade was closer to a C+/B- based on injuries and poor fits. Do I believe that JJ will get better and Chance will help improve the team in 2023, yes? We heavily recruited both JJ and Chance in High school. Cuffe was not recruited that much and McLoed was not recruited by Syracuse at all.

Do we try to recruit what we know (have recruited before) or recruit players based on what we have heard? No matter what Syracuse does, the risk is present. It is a crap shoot.

I have a question regarding players that Syracuse recruited and that went to other schools and are now in the portal.

Why does Syracuse want any player that is leaving their schools to go into the portal? There are various reasons that someone goes into the portal (looking for more playing time, transferring to be closer to home, more NIL$, change in coaching and finally just didn’t like the school). Still if an ancillary reason is that they did not perform up to expectations, why take a risk on those players?

If the coaching staff believes that any portal player has unrealized potential, sure I understand taking a flyer. Don’t feel that there is a guaranteed player that will improve team in the next year. There is risk in selecting any player (portal or high school). Look at last year’s portal. Kyle Cuffe, Jr, JJ Starling, Chance Westry and McLoed all transferred in. I am personally happy that Starling is in a Syracuse uniform where other fans say that he isn’t living up to expectations. McLoed got hurt but was not a good player to bring with. He had size which can’t be taught. Westry who has been hyped never got on to the court due to injuries. Cuffe injured initially never really saw significant playing time.

Where I think that portal helped Syracuse last year, the portal class grade was closer to a C+/B- based on injuries and poor fits. Do I believe that JJ will get better and Chance will help improve the team in 2023, yes? We heavily recruited both JJ and Chance in High school. Cuffe was not recruited that much and McLoed was not recruited by Syracuse at all.

Do we try to recruit what we know (have recruited before) or recruit players based on what we have heard? No matter what Syracuse does, the risk is present. It is a crap shoot.
Yes, very good points. I think a lot of us sometimes out of excitement forget that there are often issues with a player who enters the portal. If not an issue, still a big gamble.

Short answer, need to not be afraid to recruit players that haven't been offered before. Otherwise, you are limiting your talent pool. Ideally you want players who have been productive whose skills will transfer to the high major level.

Why does Syracuse want any player that is leaving their schools to go into the portal?
Outside of straight $$$ and tampering, some of it has to do coaching changes. For example, it's glaringly obvious that Red really wanted JJ out of HS but was shot down by JB. So JJ went to Notre Dame where he had a good relationship with Mike Brey, who then got retired mid-season --> JJ goes in the portal --> Red becomes SU HC --> JJ is an orange(man). We had previously recruited JJ, but it was nothing that JJ was responsible for, it was all coaches and ADs.

Other guys get recruited by a coach, coach gets fired, they're gone. Player was lightly recruited out of HS, goes to a low level D1, blows up and can now get paid, he's going to do so. Sometimes, schemes change and certain players are staring at a lower minute total and want more. How about a player who goes to a school, gets injured, and then gets recruited over? Nothing he's at fault for. Or a highly ranked player goes to a Duke/KU/UK school, gets buried on the depth chart by a bunch of other highly ranked guys. And 6 more highly ranked guys are coming in the next year.

There are a lot of reasons players going into the portal could be highly valued by other schools. In pro baseball, the minors of all teams are scoured by scouts and they're just looking for a diamond in the rough. But they don't always look for statisical success, but for elite tools that are underutilized or not even aware of it that an acquiring team could coach up or develop. I don't think it's 100% or 0%, but I'd wager that there are some college teams scouting the lower ranks with some crazy advanced metrics for guys who might have otherwise been invisible to scouts and could be developed into a weapon.

Outside of straight $$$ and tampering, some of it has to do coaching changes. For example, it's glaringly obvious that Red really wanted JJ out of HS but was shot down by JB. So JJ went to Notre Dame where he had a good relationship with Mike Brey, who then got retired mid-season --> JJ goes in the portal --> Red becomes SU HC --> JJ is an orange(man). We had previously recruited JJ, but it was nothing that JJ was responsible for, it was all coaches and ADs.

Other guys get recruited by a coach, coach gets fired, they're gone. Player was lightly recruited out of HS, goes to a low level D1, blows up and can now get paid, he's going to do so. Sometimes, schemes change and certain players are staring at a lower minute total and want more. How about a player who goes to a school, gets injured, and then gets recruited over? Nothing he's at fault for. Or a highly ranked player goes to a Duke/KU/UK school, gets buried on the depth chart by a bunch of other highly ranked guys. And 6 more highly ranked guys are coming in the next year.

There are a lot of reasons players going into the portal could be highly valued by other schools. In pro baseball, the minors of all teams are scoured by scouts and they're just looking for a diamond in the rough. But they don't always look for statisical success, but for elite tools that are underutilized or not even aware of it that an acquiring team could coach up or develop. I don't think it's 100% or 0%, but I'd wager that there are some college teams scouting the lower ranks with some crazy advanced metrics for guys who might have otherwise been invisible to scouts and could be developed into a weapon.
LOL bro, JB did not turn JJ down

Sir I don't know what you think you're doing bringing this level of critical thinking and reflection to the portal madness thread.