2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

This is a name to look out for. We are right in the mix here.
His jumper is gross; even some of the ones that go in do not look good at all and there's a lot of misses of the variety where it looks like he could break the backboard. I'm always kind of a sucker for guards with big man skillsets from an aesthetic point of view but it's not really something I necessarily want on my team lol. Especially given the questionable shooting we currently have. Can't say I'd be confident that his skillset will translate against ACC competition but I guess if he ends up being one of the guys we get, we'll find out.

We could definitely use some more physicality and he'd seemingly bring that.

Not exactly sure about role, if I had to guess would just be depth.
yeah I would prefer a forward with soft hands who can shoot...but im guessing the 8 boards a game and physicality is what they are looking for in him...

cant keep getting mauled on the glass and have any ambitions as a team, imo

besides, he did get 17pts a game so its not like he cant score at all

would be a huge upgrade over someone like taylor, imo

yeah I would prefer a forward with soft hands who can shoot...but im guessing the 8 boards a game and physicality is what they are looking for in him...

cant keep getting mauled on the glass and have any ambitions as a team, imo

besides, he did get 17pts a game so its not like he cant score at all

would be a huge upgrade over someone like taylor, imo
Agree. We desperately need a grown man to play forward who has experience and can be counted on to rebound, score inside and play good defense. We have no one like they right now (though Freeman will hopefully develop into that role by the end of the season).

I find it interesting to see us involved with so many players from the CAA. Straughn coached in the A10 for 4 years before coming to Syracuse.

Maybe there are enough cross over games between the conferences for him to know CAA players well? Or maybe we targeted one CAA player early and saw others we liked looking at his film?

Interesting not a shooter but seems like a do it all forward. As long as he knows he isn't a shooter I like it. We need someone who can lock down a wing scorer and hit the boards. Dirty work type player.
His mid range shooting looks good.

Agree. We desperately need a grown man to play forward who has experience and can be counted on to rebound, score inside and play good defense. We have no one like they right now (though Freeman will hopefully develop into that role by the end of the season).

I find it interesting to see us involved with so many players from the CAA. Straughn coached in the A10 for 4 years before coming to Syracuse.

Maybe there are enough cross over games between the conferences for him to know CAA players well? Or maybe we targeted one CAA player early and saw others we liked looking at his film?
the forwards getting manhandled this year was maddening and there was almsot nothing the coach could do about it, either...very important issue for the roster.

yeah its interesting on who to target...if you want bench players and depth maybe cant swing for the fences??

if you go after players that are too good...then they will only want to start

but if you go too far down the ladder, then they won't be useful players for the team

it's likley about fitting the pieces of the puzzle together...and the coaches likely have knowledge of who will will fit with all of the new pieces...(at least I hope so)

gotta think there's a bit of overlap here with freeman but then again you never know exactly how a freshman will fit once they jump up a level to the ACC...its a grown man's conference, for sure.

17 pts and 8 rbnds.gm?

poor? how?

Shooting numbers and all of those stats are mostly against league or equal comp. Didn’t do anything special against higher level opponents especially on the boards.

Last edited:
At what point are we hurt by Judah not announcing what he is doing next year? Can we promise a starting point guard spot to someone without Judah declaring or portaling?

Just because it isn’t public doesn’t mean he hasn’t already made a decision and informed red
I understand that. That is why I referred to Judah announcing his intentions. It would seem that if the staff is supposed to keep Judah's decision under wraps, they can't go ahead and a sign a big name point guard. At some point, whomever they are targeting in the portal will want to be certain that Judah will not he here.

Seems like there’s already some smoke there with Red having been his lead recruiter the first time around.
Put this in another thread on the Recruiting Forum. Sounds like Barnes didn’t waste any time circling the wagons. I’m sure he knew there was scuttlebutt going on in the background. Hopefully JP’s extra PT today didn’t alter the path.

Wes Rucker

@wesrucker247

Follow

#Vols coach Rick Barnes on freshman big man J.P. Estrella: We might need to start using him the way Purdue uses Edey. He's a really physical player. He doesn't think of himself that way, but he is

Put this in another thread on the Recruiting Forum. Sounds like Barnes didn’t waste any time circling the wagons. I’m sure he knew there was scuttlebutt going on in the background. Hopefully JP’s extra PT today didn’t alter the path.

Wes Rucker

@wesrucker247

Follow

#Vols coach Rick Barnes on freshman big man J.P. Estrella: We might need to start using him the way Purdue uses Edey. He's a really physical player. He doesn't think of himself that way, but he is

People still need to move on ahead of him for him to get to be a starter. We will see if he enters the portal or not. If he enters the portal Red needs to put on the full court press.

Interesting not a shooter but seems like a do it all forward. As long as he knows he isn't a shooter I like it. We need someone who can lock down a wing scorer and hit the boards. Dirty work type player.
Shot 2.4 3s a game, not sure he knows he’s not a shooter

Shot 2.4 3s a game, not sure he knows he’s not a shooter
His three point rate is a little less than Judah and Copeland were at this season. I'd probably rather him shoot literally 0 threes per game, but it's a relatively tiny part of his shot attempts.

His three point rate is a little less than Judah and Copeland were at this season. I'd probably rather him shoot literally 0 threes per game, but it's a relatively tiny part of his shot attempts.
I would say both of those guys shot too much from though. And his attempts are increasing annually despite his % decreasing, not a great sign