25 years ago | Syracusefan.com

25 years ago

SWC75

Bored Historian
Tremendous article on the major figures in the 1989 national championship match-up between Seton Hall and Michigan:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-c...obinson-ramon-ramos/index.html?xid=nl_siextra

I had three things in mind during and after that game.

1) Root for the Big East school. Get the conference another national championship and we can say we were in the dominant conference in America. I loved it when the Pirates crushed Duke in a game similar to our win over Oklahoma State when we went on to the tile- they got off to a horrible start, (8-26, I think) and were getting blown out. then they totally dominated the rest of the game and won going away.

2) Seton Hall" Seton F. Hall is going to win the national championship before we do?!? I have to admit that my emotion when they lost was one of relief, even though it shouldn't have been.

3) A national championship goes into overtime and gets decided on a nudge? That may not have been the worst call ever but it was the most inappropriate. I can't argue with any Seton Hall fan who feels they got robbed.

As to the article itself, Ramos' story is very tragic in open way, Robinson's in another. I've always bene in the camp that Bill Frieder walked out on his team but I'mm have to rethink that. Reading about Walker's shot and how famous it would have been had he made it caused me to think about Gorodn Hayward's shot against Duke in 2010. I know many SU fans hated Butler because they beat us but as time apsses the more I find myself wishing that shot had gone in. it would have been the most famous shot ever, basketball's equivalent of Bobby Thompson.

But read the article. This is what sports journalism is all about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom