Men's Soccer - (3) SU 2 vs (13) Indiana 2 (PK's 7-6): Mon Dec 12, 6 PM [NCAA National Championship] | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Men's Soccer (3) SU 2 vs (13) Indiana 2 (PK's 7-6): Mon Dec 12, 6 PM [NCAA National Championship]

Watched the penalties with my wife, who’s from Indiana… I’ve been celebrating quietly ever since as not to wake up my kids! Unreal, I’m still shook by the pen off the crossbar snuck in… absolutely wild & loving it. Enough with that excessive Indiana hyperbole.
giphy-downsized-large.gif
A literal conversation that just happened at my house when the kids got home from school…

9 year old son: “Dad, the new Diary of a Wimpy kid book is available on Libby & I just downloaded it! Let’s goooooo!!!”

Me: “Let’s gooooooo!!!”

6 year old daughter: “Dad, that’s what you say when you watch Liverpool!” (English Premier League team, not CNY town)

Me: “Yeah, and when Syracuse wins the national championship in soccer!”

6 year old daughter: “I heard you making noises watching the game last night when I was in bed…”

Maybe I wasn’t celebrating as quite as quietly as I stated last night after the win, haha;)

So I had a business meeting last night that was going to last until at least 7 pm, so I recorded the game. I added an extra hour to the recording just to be safe and avoided all media until I got home and could watch. My three-hour recording ran out just as Sinclair was running up to kick the winning PK. I was like you've got to be kidding me. I had to go to Twitter to see if he made it.
I always record games for at least 3 hours after they're supposed to end. The 6OT MSG Big East game vs. UConn taught me that. It's better to delete than miss something big!

Last edited:
Give Coach McIntyre a multi year contract extension! Also upgrade the SU soccer field/facilities.
When I was at SU in the 80s, the soccer team played a lot of games in the Dome (I think field hockey did too for that matter). I'm guessing they don't now because of the field turf, it seems the pebbles would slow down the ball. Any soccer insiders know why they don't play games in the Dome? If it's not because of the field turf, it seems it might be good for bad weather games at the end of the year including the ACCT and NCAAs.

Last edited:
Congratulations guys! Huge victory yesterday. We beat up on Indiana earlier this year for you guys so this is basically a Clemson win as well...
I actually watched that game and it gave me confidence going in to last night.

When I was at SU in the 80s, the soccer team played a lot of games in the Dome (I think field hockey did too for that matter). I'm guessing they don't now because of the field turf, it seems the pebbles would slow down the ball. Any soccer insiders know why they don't play games in the Dome? If it's not because of the field turf, it seems it might be good for bad weather games at the end of the year including the ACCT and NCAAs.
Top flight players want to play on grass in college.

That is one issue, and it is a big one.

Secondly, the dome is not wide enough for a regulation field. It is possible to play on a field narrower than regulation and yes, Syracuse did this for years playing in the dome.

But it isn't what you want and the presence of walls close to the OB lines is not a good thing.

At this point, we have a soccer stadium and the field itself is one of the top playing fields in the ACC. A fan base has been built, sellouts are happening regularly, and it is time to expand seating. A new scoreboard with video replay capabilities is also needed. I think there is room to add stands on the east side of the field.

At minimum, it would be great to see another set of bleachers added to boost the seating capacity from about 1500 to around 3000. That should have improve the home field advantage and make the facility a lot more attractive for fans and players. Pretty sure we have the worst soccer facility in the ACC. The coaching staff and players (and fans) deserve better.

If you are a decision maker for a major corporation and want to make a difference, this is a great chance to step up and make a donation to help make this happen.

Better concessions and bathroom facilities would be great; maybe add a set on the east side of the stadium. And let's get a band for all the home games (and select road games). That was something Indiana did that we should copy. I think it adds a lot to the atmosphere (which is already good).

This is what our some of our competitors in the ACC have:

And a link to the finest college soccer facilities. Several ACC schools make the list.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what sr's come back for their 5th covid year. As long as Opoko comes back, along with a couple of covid sr's, we should be very good again next year.

Some info on the origins of the iconic Syracuse soccer jersey.

If you are a soccer fan, it is interesting stuff.

See uniform # 2 below.

And for more on the Waldo jersey sometimes worn by the USMNT...

At minimum, it would be great to see another set of bleachers added to boost the seating capacity from about 1500 to around 3000. That should have improve the home field advantage and make the facility a lot more attractive for fans and players. Pretty sure we have the worst soccer facility in the ACC. The coaching staff and players (and fans) deserve better.

Makes what McIntyre has done even more incredible. Some schools have MLS quality soccer stadiums and we look like a D3 school. Elmore Field at Hartwick is objectively nicer than what Syracuse has.

We have to take the next step.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom