31-26 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

31-26

Great job guys, even B. Poliquin cited this stat on his radio show today. Let's think of some more interesting subjects for them to cover.

Diange + loss of schollies + apparent miss on KJ = now
has the loss of schollies hurt us? I feel like we've gotten the guys we wanted. Yes, we lost Diange, but would we have had time to replace him even if we had the scholarship?

has the loss of schollies hurt us? I feel like we've gotten the guys we wanted. Yes, we lost Diange, but would we have had time to replace him even if we had the scholarship?

With Diange we had a full roster, but you are right that he was disqualified so late that we couldn't do anything.

Clearly, it has hurt us. At the very least, we probably don't seek roster attrition last offseason, and I believe that one of those players would have contributed at a much higher level than last year for this squad. Having another scorer / shooter / option for the back line of the zone would have been huge for a team with very little depth.

And the Diagne outcome was very costly, as well.

We're looking like 1-7 to start the ACC. We will not win at Wake, Duke or Virginia. Don't forget that BC beat us at the Dome to end our 25-0 start two years ago.

Forget...wasn't that the beginning of the end for us? ;):)

I dont ridicule that season, but there are 2 sides to every story. Yours and the other side that says the 25-0 season forecasted the 3-6 ending.

I never thought we were as good as our record, there were games we easily could have lost. With that said we should have beat BC and GT at home, and won the Dayton game. The sweet 16 was probably as far as we were going to go.

I think you are missing the point. There's been a big drop off in talent between our players they go early to the NBA and those that are left remaining. And, out of those remaining there have been too many busts.
Can't blame the fans for that.

it absolutely hurt (as it was supposed to)

it ran off players who would have been rotational help and/or prevented us from recruiting a few more bodies that would have really helped

Clearly, it has hurt us. At the very least, we probably don't seek roster attrition last offseason, and I believe that one of those players would have contributed at a much higher level than last year for this squad. Having another scorer / shooter / option for the back line of the zone would have been huge for a team with very little depth.

And the Diagne outcome was very costly, as well.
Were there players we were recruiting and could have gotten had we had the scholarships? I agree on Diagne.

25-0 seems like a decade ago. I don't think anyone saw us falling off the cliff this far this fast.
Unfortunately, I think the 25-0 start possibly did more to hurt the program in the long run than help. It was awesome at the time, but if we had been say, 21-4, or something, it's hard to see Ennis and maybe Grant leaving. Ennis, especially, was receiving so much pub and his reputation was taken to astronomical levels. It basically buoyed him out the door, IMO.

While I may be totally wrong and we were still destined to see them leave regardless of how that team started/played, I think Ennis, at least, would've been back for year 2. He certainly would have made last year's team very, very good and I doubt we would've taken the immediate ban, which would've pushed it onto this year's bad team.

Either way, nobody probably saw such a poor record over the last 57 and counting, but it's not hard to see why this program is struggling so much right now. Recruiting hit the wall for a bit (hopefully, this Lydon/Mal/Howard class stays together longer) and we have poor fits and no depth for what JB wants to run. And again, with no PG, any team will have struggles.

Unfortunately, I think the 25-0 start possibly did more to hurt the program in the long run than help. It was awesome at the time, but if we had been say, 21-4, or something, it's hard to see Ennis and maybe Grant leaving. Ennis, especially, was receiving so much pub and his reputation was taken to astronomical levels. It basically buoyed him out the door, IMO.

While I may be totally wrong and we were still destined to see them leave regardless of how that team started/played, I think Ennis, at least, would've been back for year 2. He certainly would have made last year's team very, very good and I doubt we would've taken the immediate ban, which would've pushed it onto this year's bad team.

Either way, nobody probably saw such a poor record over the last 57 and counting, but it's not hard to see why this program is struggling so much right now. Recruiting hit the wall for a bit (hopefully, this Lydon/Mal/Howard class stays together longer) and we have poor fits and no depth for what JB wants to run. And again, with no PG, any team will have struggles.

If he was playing at the same level and we went 21-4, I still think he'd be gone. I don't think think scouts and CMs are swayed by stuff like that as much as people believe.

If he was playing at the same level and we went 21-4, I still think he'd be gone. I don't think think scouts and CMs are swayed by stuff like that as much as people believe.

Agreed. All 25-0 accomplished for Ennis was to get more people paying attention to him sooner. They generally don't leave any rocks unturned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom