31-26 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

31-26

I remember years back people ragging on a guy like Baye Mousa Keita.....

Who was a great backline defender in the zone and hustled his butt off and made a lot of contributions to our teams that put 30 wins or damn near a season.

This teams backcourt is so weak these same haters would be begging for a Baye Mousa Keita.

The way I see it is that this season is the perfect storm of mediocrity....scholarship reductions, recruiting busts (kj, chino, bj, bus), early departures, all to top it off with an incredibly hard conference schedule and the fact that our starting center is essentially a freshman in terms of pt...and is severely inhibited by knee problems.

The bigger pending issue is once we come off of all penalties will Hopkins be able to coach at the level of his acc peers and can we start picking up some recruits who will pack a punch...just a waiting game for cuse

I remember years back people ragging on a guy like Baye Mousa Keita...

Who was a great backline defender in the zone and hustled his butt off and made a lot of contributions to our teams that put 30 wins or damn near a season.

This teams backcourt is so weak these same haters would be begging for a Baye Mousa Keita.

The way I see it is that this season is the perfect storm of mediocrity...scholarship reductions, recruiting busts (kj, chino, bj, bus), early departures, all to top it off with an incredibly hard conference schedule and the fact that our starting center is essentially a freshman in terms of pt...and is severely inhibited by knee problems.

The bigger pending issue is once we come off of all penalties will Hopkins be able to coach at the level of his acc peers and can we start picking up some recruits who will pack a punch...just a waiting game for cuse

You're right, I would beg BMK to play for this squad. Not because I think he's a great player, he's just better than what we already have.

Larry Brown has 6 Scholorship players and is undefeated

Which does nothing to contradict my point. The players create depth by the quality of their play. Your point would be that depth is over-rated, which is probably true to some extent.

Smu has also played a cupcake schedule.
We said the same thing about Pitt. and emu has. Still won them all,but I think we take bc to the woodshed so maybe the start of a run

Last edited:
Couldn't have predicted it. But the 25-0 was such fools gold.

Anyone remember after that infamous Boeheim ejection game at Duke when everyone said that JB doing that would pay dividends for SU and result in better officiating for us going forward? Man that was a stupid moment in board history.

Obviously I'm exaggerating by saying "everyone", but it was undeniably the majority opinion on the board that night.

Last edited:
While the 25-0 team played a little over their heads in that run, don't kid yourself -- that team was good enough to make a serious run in the NCAAs considering it was such an open field, and shouldn't have folded like a cheap tent. The team was clearly mentally and physically exhausted with the pressure of that run and ran out of gas.

While the 25-0 team played a little over their heads in that run, don't kid yourself -- that team was good enough to make a serious run in the NCAAs considering it was such an open field, and shouldn't have folded like a cheap tent. The team was clearly mentally and physically exhausted with the pressure of that run and ran out of gas.

It was a very capable team. They had the right pieces, I honestly think that was one of JBs poorer coached years. We had very good offensive players and I don't think anybody but Ennis was played to their strengths.

It was a very capable team. They had the right pieces, I honestly think that was one of JBs poorer coached years. We had very good offensive players and I don't think anybody but Ennis was played to their strengths.

If only that "lightbulb" had gone off with Rak a few months earlier...

If only that "lightbulb" had gone off with Rak a few months earlier...

I'm in the camp that the lightbulb was on already. That entire season he had great position on offense and couldn't get the ball. I think CJ Fair is an all time great here in Syracuse, but making him the ISO player he was his last year I think ruined they team. That team had a player at every position and had an ok bench.

I remember when BMK was out for a bit for injury reasons that Rak stepped in and played very very well. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but I remember seeing it, I'll have to take a look at the game log. He just never got the ball.

We said the same thing about Pitt. and emu has. Still won them all,but I think we take bc to the woodshed so maybe the start of a run

If we don't beat Bc we go 0 for the Acc.

If we don't beat Bc we go 0 for the Acc.
That would be the most talented team ever to go winless in a major conference, and one still capable of winning the ACCT.

That would be the most talented team ever to go winless in a major conference, and one still capable of winning the ACCT.

Agreed with what you said outside capable of winning the ACC. We're not.

I'm in the camp that the lightbulb was on already. That entire season he had great position on offense and couldn't get the ball. I think CJ Fair is an all time great here in Syracuse, but making him the ISO player he was his last year I think ruined they team. That team had a player at every position and had an ok bench.

I remember when BMK was out for a bit for injury reasons that Rak stepped in and played very very well. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but I remember seeing it, I'll have to take a look at the game log. He just never got the ball.

Agree...I was being facetious, and it didn't come off as I intended.

Repeat with me folks: I, as a true fan, want Cuse to win every game, but will enjoy the rest of the Orange season, whether they do bad or good, and support the players and coaches. I realize that sometimes teams have bad years, but historical basketball powers all come back strong and so will Cuse. I will not be so consumed with negative team minutia every waking moment that I fail to keep a big picture perspective as a true fan and enjoy all things SU.

Or something like that...

That's ridiculous. We can lose to them and still pick up other victories, albeit not many.

If we don't beat Bc at home, who are we beating? Our next two games are at Wake, a much improved team, and at Duke.

If we don't beat Bc at home, who are we beating? Our next two games are at Wake, a much improved team, and at Duke.

There are 14 games left. Just because we lose our next one doesn't mean we lose the next 13. Even if we were the worst team in the ACC we could pull out a couple. I also don't think we can go 14 games without getting hot once from the outside.

There are 14 games left. Just because we lose our next one doesn't mean we lose the next 13. Even if we were the worst team in the ACC we could pull out a couple. I also don't think we can go 14 games without getting hot once from the outside.

I was half kidding about going winless, but if we can't beat BC at home in a game we desperately have to have, how many games are we winning? We could be looking at an 0-7 start.

I was half kidding about going winless, but if we can't beat BC at home in a game we desperately have to have, how many games are we winning? We could be looking at an 0-7 start.

0-7 is possible, 0-18 isn't.

0-7 is possible, 0-18 isn't.

Actually 0-8 we play at Uva after Duke. We won't go winless, but unless we find a way to win the next two, any chance of turning things around is over.

I think it's more that playing close games with mediocre teams, win or lose, isn't a good sign.

Don't know if this is as true in college, but generally, in pro sports, the records of teams in close games is usually pretty close to 500 and doesn't have a ton to do with how good the team is. ( i think that made sense)

My point is that we are now losing games like the ones we won during 25-0. I don't care who you are playing or how you got to a close game at the last 4 minutes - winning teams win those. The 25-0 stretch had that ability, our current team does not at this time. So the 25-0 stretch, while it is almost pathologically ridiculed here, demonstrated a critical positive facet of a winning team that is not currently present in the program.

Anyone remember after that infamous Boeheim ejection game at Duke when everyone said that JB doing that would pay dividends for SU and result in better officiating for us going forward? Man that was a stupid moment in board history.

Obviously I'm exaggerating by saying "everyone", but it was undeniably the majority opinion on the board that night.

I'll still defend Boeheim for that one - I think he did the right thing.

But it's been surprisingly ugly since then, and it's not due to luck or the NCAA.

My point is that we are now losing games like the ones we won during 25-0. I don't care who you are playing or how you got to a close game at the last 4 minutes - winning teams win those. The 25-0 stretch had that ability, our current team does not at this time. So the 25-0 stretch, while it is almost pathologically ridiculed here, demonstrated a critical positive facet of a winning team that is not currently present in the program.

I dont ridicule that season, but there are 2 sides to every story. Yours and the other side that says the 25-0 season forecasted the 3-6 ending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom