55 years ago today Wilt scores 100. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

55 years ago today Wilt scores 100.

I don't see another pitcher getting to 300 wins anytime in the distant future. I don't think there is an active pitcher that has a legit shot, and going forward the way they baby pitchers, its not going to happen.

There were no 300 game winners from 1963-82 and people were saying there would never be another one. Then we had 5 in 3 years. Then people said there would never be another one after Nolan Ryan. We had 4 before 2003 and 2009. It'll happen again; pitchers pitch for a long time now.

But he couldn't beat "The Eagle with a Beard" The Warriors finished 19 Games behind the Celtics
They finished 6-6 with the Nats
1961–62 Philadelphia Warriors season - Wikipedia

Not until 66-67. I remember watching Game 7 playoff loss to Boston that year. One point loss. There seemed to be a lot of those. As big a Wilt fan as I was, there were times when he did not always rise to the occasion. '68 vs Boston, '69 vs the Celtics as a Laker. Russell always did.

In fairness, I said single game record. For example, the single game record for strikeouts is 20 by Kerry Wood and Roger Clemens. I think that has a much better chance of being broken than Wilt's 100.

It's almost a surprise it hasn't been broken yet, with all the K's in baseball

The thing that always boggles my mind about Wilt's 100 points is that he was 28-32 from the line. Which is phenomenal given his .511 career FT%.

Steve Carlton's 1972 season: he went 27-10, including 14 wins in a row, on a team that went 59-97. He had over 45% of his team's wins. No one is going to do that again.

Edit:

341 innings pitched
310 strike outs
30 complete games
8 shut outs
1.97 ERA

Last edited:
In fairness, I said single game record. For example, the single game record for strikeouts is 20 by Kerry Wood and Roger Clemens. I think that has a much better chance of being broken than Wilt's 100.

Randy Johnson struck out 20, as did Max Scherzer (last May).

Randy Johnson struck out 20, as did Max Scherzer (last May).

I could have sworn Scherzer did, but I didnt bother to look it up. Thanks.

The Johnson thing is stupid, it should absolutely be listed

Mark Whiten getting 4 HRs and 12 RBI in a 9 inning game is bananaland. Rennie Stennett getting 7 base hits in a 9 inning game is also ridiculous. Not the 'sexy' picks by any means but still tremendous feats.

I don't believe anyone will beat Tony Cloninger's MLB single game record of two grand slams by a pitcher.

Just a note on the 300 win thing. Just for some perspective on how hard this stuff can be to predict; Clayton Kershaw could not win a game for the next 5 years and still be on the same pace that Randy Johnson was at age 33.

The secret reason he was able to hit 100. Wilt was a career 51% FT shooter. He somehow made 28 of 32 in that magical game. If he had shot FTs as he normally did he would have "only" gone for 88.

Wilt Chamberlain was the most talented player ever. As a center in the '67 - '68 season he led the NBA in assists - 8.6 a game. He also had a triple 20 in 1968 - 20 points, 20 rebounds and 20 assists. It was also reported that he has 12 blocks in that game but official stats didn't track them. He also had 55 rebounds against Bill Russell's Celtics.

I was just a kid and few games were televised (NBA on CBS) but loved watching Wilt play.

Wilt Chamberlain’s Passing Skills (only center to ever lead the league in assists)

Bill Russell memories of Wilt from 2012.
NBA.com: Two giants: Russell, Wilt scrapped on court, laughed off it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom