9 man rotation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

9 man rotation

Agree about Thompson -- he can help this season, especially if JB wants to press a lot. And his ability to score inside adds a dimension to this team.

About Moyer, I don't see it as a matter of beefing up. He is 6ft 8 and 220 -- that is more solid than Roberson last season, or Lydon last season, and not a lot different in bulk than Thompson at 6ft 10 and 226. At this stage in Moyer's development, he does not bring the skills (shooting or driving or rebounding) to allow him to push for minutes against of the other options we have at forward. That's ok -- he is a good prospect for next season.

About Lydon in the center position (other messages above), why get stuck on how he did last season against North Carolina or Louisville's centers? He has added 20 lbs and has improved his inside moves. Consider the alternatives -- Thompson does not look as solid as Lydon; Coleman is shorter than Lydon, not a shot-blocker, and more likely to foul; and Chukwu is rail-thin, awkward, and won't provide any offense in the half court.

Moyer just doesn't look the part. Jelly arms doesn't cut it at this level. Compare Moyer to Howard. Moyer needs to be buffed so he can bang with opposing players competitively.

howard.JPG

Coleman looks pretty good to me this year. He seems a tick or two faster. Chukwu too seemed to have quick reaction times. I think our front 4 will do better this year against big bodies. Guys like Yurtseven are going to cause problems. But hopefully we will double team bigger guys with faster players. I think we will do fine.

Last edited:
Coleman looks pretty good to me this year. He seems a tick or two faster. Chukwu too seemed to have quick reaction times. I think our front 4 will do better this year against big bodies. Guys like Yurtseven are going to cause problems. ... I think we will do fine.

JB will find ways to work around the issues at center. Can't make the issues go away -- he doesn't have the ideal two-way center. My guess: he will give Coleman minutes to start each half; and use Chukwu primarily when he wants to press. Then, Lydon gets the big minutes.

As for Moyer, we will see. This team will blow out some teams, and Moyer will have his opportunities.

No one wants to see that. Except for the head coach, of course. Those long stretches with Lydon at the 5 offer a look at what we should expect all year long: situational minutes for the real centers and heavy reliance on Lydon away from his natural position.
I could honestly see Thompson playing Chukwus minutes and Chukwu being the odd man out

His defense looked as bad as it ever did. He gave up so many easy baskets around him. Seemed liked every time he scored, he gave up 2 baskets.

He's going to lose PT to Thompson.

His defense looked as bad as it ever did. He gave up so many easy baskets around him. Seemed liked every time he scored, he gave up 2 baskets.

There is always a lot of (warranted) discussion about how Coleman does not use his bulk well to maneuver inside offensively. A huge issue with Coleman is he doesn't know how to use his big body defensively. He doesn't body up well to guys. I do have a lot of hope for Coleman this year, since he does look more mobile.

I'm rooting for him. It'd be quite a story of perseverance if he has a huge year.

I could honestly see Thompson playing Chukwus minutes and Chukwu being the odd man out

Chukwu will not be the odd man out. Boeheim has said repeatedly that Chukwu will play. He said so again in the IUP post game presser (cue the "Boeheim says things just to say things" comments). Chukwu will be a huge factor all season. We are going to press a lot. We are also going to play a really high, aggressive zone with him in the game. Since Battle will be our best on-ball defender, expect them in games together a ton.

Last edited:
Chukwu will not be the odd man out. Boeheim has said repeatedly that Chukwu will play. He said so again in the IUP post game presser (cue the "Boeheim say things to say things" comments). Chukwu will be a huge factor all season. We are going to press a lot. We are also going to play a really high, aggressive zone with him in the game. Since Battle will be our best on-ball defender, expect them in games together a ton.

Especially since we really didn't see him in the zone as much in the game as we will during the season. His presence alone in the zone is enough to ruin a lot of teams inside game. Personally I believe if TT earns minutes that they will come from DC.

Especially since we really didn't see him in the zone as much in the game as we will during the season. His presence alone in the zone is enough to ruin a lot of teams inside game. Personally I believe if TT earns minutes that they will come from DC.

It would help Thompson get more time if Lydon plays a good chunk of 3. JB likes TL at the 5 though (and the 4). Thompson will help but he will also be a great luxury at times.

Chukwu will not be the odd man out. Boeheim has said repeatedly that Chukwu will play. He said so again in the IUP post game presser (cue the "Boeheim says things just to say things" comments). Chukwu will be a huge factor all season. We are going to press a lot. We are also going to play a really high, aggressive zone with him in the game. Since Battle will be our best on-ball defender, expect them in games together a ton.
I thought I heard Boeheim say "I think he will play" about chukwu after the game. Of the 4 guys that play the 5 the most, he was the least impressive. Hope I'm wrong, and it's only 1 game, but I don't see any way Thompson doesn't play

It would help Thompson get more time if Lydon plays a good chunk of 3. JB likes TL at the 5 though (and the 4). Thompson will help but he will also be a great luxury at times.
I'm not sure a Thompson at 4, Lydon at 5 won't be seen...

Coleman did have some springy legs like Roberson jumping around under the basket. I thought he seemed a little faster this year.

But I agree with everything you say. TT is really good. If TT can play really good shut down defense he's going to get bulk playing time. He's just too good on offense. The 5' jumper he made had an insanely sweet stroke. That's a really tough shot to be good at. If a big guy can make that shot consistently then he can make all kinds of low-post moves to the basket from that point. And we've already seen TT's low post footwork is very good. I'm not saying TT is as good as Frank Kaminsky. But I see a lot of potential in TT. He's much better than I imagined. I'm sure he has lots of work to do. Playing good defense will be key for him getting PT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom