A Couple of Key Revelations from the NCAA Chair on CBS | Syracusefan.com

A Couple of Key Revelations from the NCAA Chair on CBS

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
1. 3 Teams are Locked for the #1
2. 3 Teams are Still fighting for the last #1
3, In different words he essentially said they have decided to justify anything they want to do with the eye test. He said the eye test is extremely important and said you don't want to rely too much computers for this. One team just had a significant eye test discussion that lasted most of the morning.
4. A committee member also said yesterday that tourney results were so tight that tourney results are turning into separators this year.

-----------

So basically the committee decided to go old school and gave an FU to the new philosophies they had brought in, and actually had done a good job of implementing in recent years.

1) Tourney Games tyically will change seeds alot when teams are tight. They impact your resume alot. But they are not supposed to be "separators" either. They are just one game.

2) Eye Test seems to be back in full force. Committee chair specifically said why would we let computers do the work for us? The point of numbers was to reduce subjectivity and make it a more fair and explainable process. So much for that.

Louisville had to be the team they were talking about, At minimum Louisville is a #2 seed.

Are they the #3rd team behind Michigan and Duke for that last #1. Or is that Wisconsin or Viriginia?

Last edited:
So, they're already justifying crappy seeding with the "eye test" crap. So much for their stated criteria.

Their needs to be a set criteria or just go with computers. Adios with the"eye test" crap. Noone wants to hear that and it's just a built in excuse.

They do have stated criteria, but it seems like they will ignore that criteria if they feel like doing so.

Someone else stated that the Committee's deliberations should be televised. Personally, I'd love to see that. Won't happen, but still...

Eye test is not good for us.

Well, it could be depending on who is doing the looking.

stevie-wonder-007.jpg

Maybe the three teams fighting for the #1 are Mich, Duke and UVA.

That has to be the case. Nothing else makes sense. While Louisville is probably better right now, their overall resume doesn't match up.

You can apologize to me later for all of the back and forth we had over the past few days trying to explain the subjective nature of selection and seeding. RPI is not the end all and be all that so many bracketologists want it to be.

Yeah, "eye test" is BS. I wonder if the "eye test" told Wellman to keep Jeff Bzdelik for 4 years.

You can apologize to me later for all of the back and forth we had over the past few days trying to explain the subjective nature of selection and seeding. RPI is not the end all and be all that so many bracketologists want it to be.

Are you going to go on the record with our seed?

My money has always been on the inability of the committee to ignore the "eye test". It's a fundamental piece of the puzzle, and something that the human brain can not partition. I think there will be a lot of surprises for the "body of work" crowd of prognosticators.

1. 3 Teams are Locked for the #1
2. 3 Teams are Still fighting for the last #1
3, In different words he essentially said they have decided to justify anything they want to do with the eye test. He said the eye test is extremely important and said you don't want to rely too much computers for this. One team just had a significant eye test discussion that lasted most of the morning.
4. A committee member also said yesterday that tourney results were so tight that tourney results are turning into separators this year.

-----------

So basically the committee decided to go old school and gave an FU to the new philosophies they had brought in, and actually had done a good job of implementing in recent years.

1) Tourney Games tyically will change seeds alot when teams are tight. They impact your resume alot. But they are not supposed to be "separators" either. They are just one game.

2) Eye Test seems to be back in full force. Committee chair specifically said why would we let computers do the work for us? The point of numbers was to reduce subjectivity and make it a more fair and explainable process. So much for that.

Louisville had to be the team they were talking about, At minimum Louisville is a #2 seed.

Are they the #3rd team behind Michigan and Duke for that last #1. Or is that Wisconsin or Viriginia?
Translation: We're throwing out all this "body of work" crap and wins against the top 50 nonsense and basing decisions on how teams "look" in the last week or so. Not good for SU.

I think the eye test this morning could have been UVA. Their resume isn't as good as others but if you look at what they've done since the Tennessee game you could certainly make a case for them to be a #1 if they beat Duke .

Are you going to go on the record with our seed?
I've been leaning toward a 4 seed. I actually think we are closer to a 5 seed than we are to a 3 seed.

At least most here are starting to realize we won't be a 2 seed like many were claiming just 2 days ago.

RPI has been downplayed by both the committee and bracketologists over the past few years. But there are many other metrics that should remain important. Such as record vs. top 50/top 100, road/neutral record, etc. I hope they don't devalue those numbers.

the eye test is supposed to be a separator when you think a group of teams has basically the same profile . The chair also said that injuries are a big factor and want the latest possible information which could help our seed

Teams are not seeded based on RPI. I never said RPI was an important measure for ranking teams.

Top 25, top 50, top 100 wins (and %), road/neutral and bad losses are what is important. And that is what has been implemented for years. And recently adjustments have been made, and implemented in actual completed brackets, that made a win in November and December as important as March. A team that went 5-5 vs top 50 was not going to get a #1 seed, no matter how good they looked in the past month,

So I do apologize if Lousiville is a #1. I expected the committee not to screw up.

Last edited:
I've been leaning toward a 4 seed. I actually think we are closer to a 5 seed than we are to a 3 seed.

At least most here are starting to realize we won't be a 2 seed like many were claiming just 2 days ago.

most here said if we beat nc state and duke we would of been locked into a 2,losing to nc state erased that unless committee gives us a pass for loss to GT since grant was out

Who was claiming they would be a 2 seed after they loss to NC St?

Before that loss it was certainly a possibility given that they would play Duke afterwards.

I think the eye test this morning could have been UVA. Their resume isn't as good as others but if you look at what they've done since the Tennessee game you could certainly make a case for them to be a #1 if they beat Duke .

And they are currently putting it to them. :D:D:D:D:D

Many? Links to these posts?

Yep, its either Virginia or Louisville.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom