A Couple of Key Revelations from the NCAA Chair on CBS | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A Couple of Key Revelations from the NCAA Chair on CBS

They do have stated criteria, but it seems like they will ignore that criteria if they feel like doing so.

Someone else stated that the Committee's deliberations should be televised. Personally, I'd love to see that. Won't happen, but still...

Yep, some teams will be ranked by stated criteria. But not all - it just depends.

My take then is LVille is being discussed as a one. UVA is a 1 if they win. if they lose LVille is the one. UVA and Duke are no worse than a 2.

Eye test, Syracuse 4 line. Body of work a 3 particularly if they weight Grant's injury.

This team down the last part of the season looks a lot like 2004-2005 finished the season in conference bad. But a big difference, at least that team got hot in the Big East tournament before losing in the NCAA. This team actually overachieved, considering the lack of offense, and the one dimensional aspect of Cooney, and Grant, both have a lot of work to do during the off season. The 2004-2005 only had 2 people who had a decent number of assists, Gerry, and Josh, this year we only have Tyler.

Sounds like we'll get a 4 based on that. I still think we end up a 3.

If they use the eye test as an important factor that is a joke instead of maybe as a tiebreaking factor. Then JB should load up on crap teams and wax them 81-49, and during conference play run the score up as much as we can. Louisville beat Rutger 91-39 because Pitino was doing stuff to embrass Rutgers who was on their way to B1G while Louisville was headed to the ACC, and Rutgers players quit trying after the first 10 minutes of that game.

Louisville's resume is NOT worthy of a 1 seed without this eye test BS. They lost to Memphis x2, Cincy at home, and their two toughest non-conference games to Kentucky, North Carolina. What a joke. If they use the eye test on us then we are a 5-8 seed.

the eye test is supposed to be a separator when you think a group of teams has basically the same profile . The chair also said that injuries are a big factor and want the latest possible information which could help our seed

The NC St game basically cancels out the injury debate for us, imo.

RPI has been downplayed by both the committee and bracketologists over the past few years. But there are many other metrics that should remain important. Such as record vs. top 50/top 100, road/neutral record, etc. I hope they don't devalue those numbers.
Record vs Top 50/100 is a subset of the RPI rankings. If the RPI is flawed so is the Top 50/100 wins variable.

So you said a number of people said we were a 2 seed after the loss to NC St.

I read over the thread:

Number of People that said Syracuse was a 2 seed: NONE
Number of People that said Syracuse was closer to a 2 than a 4: ONE
Awesome.

If they use the eye test as an important factor that is a joke instead of maybe as a tiebreaking factor. Then JB should load up on crap teams and wax them 81-49, and during conference play run the score up as much as we can. Louisville beat Rutger 91-39 because Pitino was doing stuff to embrass Rutgers who was on their way to B1G while Louisville was headed to the ACC, and Rutgers players quit trying after the first 10 minutes of that game.

Louisville's resume is NOT worthy of a 1 seed without this eye test BS. They lost to Memphis x2, Cincy at home, and their two toughest non-conference games to Kentucky, North Carolina. What a joke. If they use the eye test on us then we are a 5-8 seed.
Good god I would have loved to run up the score on an ACC team. Hell, I'd settle for a 10 point victory more than once a month.

The NC St game basically cancels out the injury debate for us, imo.
Conference Tourney games are weird. NC State played the day before us, we obviously looked like we had no idea what kind of gym we were in. NC State was hot and playing for a tourney birth. I don't like when they put too much emphasis on a game like the one we lost with a double bye against a solid team who didn't have to shake off any rust.

Oof...Going to back away from thread. Someone is having a meltdown.

Not seeing "many" posters calling for SU to get a 2 seed on that thread.
In the future I will refrain from using subjective terms like "many" in favor of subjective terms like "some" and "few". It will prevent confusion.:cool:

Why would anybody volunteer for the committee if they were essentially just there to sort data points according to some pre-conceived, yet loosely defined, formula? Committee membership is not sexy, holing up in Indy for a couple weeks is certainly not sexy, and I've never heard that it improves future job prospects.

Oof...Going to back away from thread. Someone is having a meltdown.

I get way to worked up about this. Now I am getting angry at something that hasn't even happened yet, lol. I know its not fully rationale.

But to hear the chair emphasize eye test more than they recently have, set me off.

I get way to worked up about this. Now I am getting angry at something that hasn't even happened yet, lol. I know its not fully rationale.

But to hear the chair emphasize eye test more than they recently have, set me off.
It's all good. Fun thing to try to predict the future. It's a integral part of my career (that has nothing to do with basketball).

Why would anybody volunteer for the committee if they were essentially just there to sort data points according to some pre-conceived, yet loosely defined, formula? Committee membership is not s e x y, holing up in Indy for a couple weeks is certainly not s e x y, and I've never heard that it improves future job prospects.

There is still room for judgment and assessments. You need to rely on impressions of teams to make close calls.

But when the eye test just crushes everything else -- to me that is outside of their role. And with the committee chair now emphasizing the eye test over numbers today, I think it will happen.

I guess I should see what they come up with.

why the he11 even come out publicly with all this BS "overall body of work" and "total resume" crap if you're not going to actually adhere to it. Just more NCAA PR lip service.
The committee gets to play god for a day (secretly, behind closed doors) and they relish every last second of it.

So Arizona with 4 losses is a lock for a 1. Duke with 7 losses and UVA with 6 losses are still fighting for the last 1 seed. And we have 5 losses and are a 4 seed now? Something stinks

So Arizona with 4 losses is a lock for a 1. Duke with 7 losses and UVA with 6 losses are still fighting for the last 1 seed. And we have 5 losses and are a 4 seed now? Something stinks
That "something stinks" is our play over the past month. We have nobody to blame but ourselves for our lower seed. Can't lose at home to BC and GaTech and expect to get bailed out by the selection committee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom