A lot of strange posts | Syracusefan.com

A lot of strange posts

Been away from the board for a few days and checking in today, it is as if I've landed on another planet. We just had a real good road win to set up Sat's game vs Va and yet:

-Many posts about TC's value, or lack thereof. Yes, I get it, he's not hitting like he should. But, for those begging for less TC and more G at the 2, I wonder if you've watched basketball before? Seriously. TC is attracting so much attention that it opens lanes for Ennis, Fair and Grant. Without the threat of TC, and with G there, those lanes close. There is a reason why G gets "cleaner" looks...it's because he's not hounded, or having everyone switch on him.

-Roberson - for the love of god, JB sees these guys every day in practice. If he felt he could impact the game more, he'd play him more. It's real simple. JB had three quality guards and was able to play Dion 30 mins, so we know he's open to opening the bench, as long as he trusts them. The drop off from CJ to Roberson is huge. So, 40 mins it is. Why not trust JB when he says CJ at 80% at certain stretches is better than other options? Stuff happens on the court, stuff happens off the court, etc..all that impacts who plays and how much.

-G. Right now, JB is comfortable with a 3rd year guy vs a frosh (with much more upside) to understand where to be in the zone. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand. Just look to a few possessions last night when G was quickly getting out to the 3 pt line but had the quickness, and understanding, to quickly get back and help down low. It resulted in good d on one possession and a TO by Md. on the next.

-Stall ball. Over almost 40 years, it's cost us just a handful of games. The one possession last night we didn't stall, TC jacked up a 3 with 28 on the shot clock. Take those 28 seconds off the clock and maybe Maryland doesn't even get to within 1. The offense was not cooking late last night, why would you want more of it? The D won the game, it's simple.

-We beat Maryland on the road, with no JG, with a hurt Baye (knee banged again), Rak in foul trouble and many other issues...it's a great win.

You really think that was a "real good road win"? I don't think many people would see it that way. I'm all for the reasonable attitude you've brought to the board with this post, but let's not sugarcoat things too much.

Good thing we have Cooney opening up all those lanes on offense or we would have trouble getting to 60 points per game...oh wait.

I'm not arguing he doesn't need to step up his play because he does. We cannot make a real deep run if he misses 8 threes in a row. However, people (not saying you) just look to shots made sometimes as the sole indicator of success. Also, I think we aren't getting enough good looks for TC, so I'm not sure how much is on him. However, last night his looks were clean, so that is on him...

Been away from the board for a few days and checking in today, it is as if I've landed on another planet. We just had a real good road win to set up Sat's game vs Va and yet:

-Many posts about TC's value, or lack thereof. Yes, I get it, he's not hitting like he should. But, for those begging for less TC and more G at the 2, I wonder if you've watched basketball before? Seriously. TC is attracting so much attention that it opens lanes for Ennis, Fair and Grant. Without the threat of TC, and with G there, those lanes close. There is a reason why G gets "cleaner" looks...it's because he's not hounded, or having everyone switch on him.

-Roberson - for the love of god, JB sees these guys every day in practice. If he felt he could impact the game more, he'd play him more. It's real simple. JB had three quality guards and was able to play Dion 30 mins, so we know he's open to opening the bench, as long as he trusts them. The drop off from CJ to Roberson is huge. So, 40 mins it is. Why not trust JB when he says CJ at 80% at certain stretches is better than other options? Stuff happens on the court, stuff happens off the court, etc..all that impacts who plays and how much.

-G. Right now, JB is comfortable with a 3rd year guy vs a frosh (with much more upside) to understand where to be in the zone. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand. Just look to a few possessions last night when G was quickly getting out to the 3 pt line but had the quickness, and understanding, to quickly get back and help down low. It resulted in good d on one possession and a TO by Md. on the next.

-Stall ball. Over almost 40 years, it's cost us just a handful of games. The one possession last night we didn't stall, TC jacked up a 3 with 28 on the shot clock. Take those 28 seconds off the clock and maybe Maryland doesn't even get to within 1. The offense was not cooking late last night, why would you want more of it? The D won the game, it's simple.

-We beat Maryland on the road, with no JG, with a hurt Baye (knee banged again), Rak in foul trouble and many other issues...it's a great win.

Not sure what has happened, but a lot of good posters have been MIA lately . Pessimism rules the world here today, and its been worse after a win than it was after we lost to DUKE.

You really think that was a "real good road win"? I don't think many people would see it that way. I'm all for the reasonable attitude you've brought to the board with this post, but let's not sugarcoat things too much.

A top 50 RPI (I think it was that last night) team on the road, under those circumstances (quick turn vs a week off for Md, no JG that would've been an asset against them up front, etc). I think it was a great road win. Looking at their schedule, their last five or six, they are playing everyone tight, or winning. Missed bunny cost them at duke, close game at Va, beat FSU, etc.

ESPN said it was their only sell out of the year. We were #1 for a month and now top5...we're are getting everyone's best shot.

In conference any road win is a good road win. Honestly if you can win all your conference home games and half the road games you are sitting in a pretty good place.

In conference any road win is a good road win. Honestly if you can win all your conference home games and half the road games you are sitting in a pretty good place.

I agree it was a good win on the road. A real good win would have been winning easily and being able to rest some of the starters for decent stretches.

JB would tell you all conference road wins are "good wins" and although many would be quick to dismiss that as coach talk, I'd have to agree with him.

1. I'm tired of this myth that Cooney gets adverse attention. He's guarded just like any other elite college shooter. However, he's missing open shots, it's not like people are dinging him for missing contested 3's.

2. Not everyone here takes JB's actions as gospel, and had their own beliefs in terms of the use of freshman like Roberson

3. G's been good lately.

1. I'm tired of this myth that Cooney gets adverse attention. He's guarded just like any other elite college shooter. However, he's missing open shots, it's not like people are dinging him for missing contested 3's.

2. Not everyone here takes JB's actions as gospel, and had their own beliefs in terms of the use of freshman like Roberson

3. G's been good lately.

1) You refuted your myth hypothesis in the next sentence. He IS guarded just like any other ELITE college shooter, that is the point. Mike G is not, nor would Buss, or BJ, or whomever else... and nobody else on the roster is either. The fact that he is guarded like an elite shooter creates the spacing I was referring to. St. John's game planned on stopping him, it literally gave opportunities to everyone else on the team. Other ACC teams have done similar since.

2) Not everyone is privy to Roberson and what goes on with him during practice. There is a reason he is not playing like some think he should and it's nothing too profound - JB does not like what he is seeing enough to give him more mins.

3)G has been better, agreed. He is getting more confident.

Last edited:
1) You refuted your myth hypothesis in the next sentence. He IS guarded just like any other ELITE college shooter, that is the point. Mike G is not, nor would Buss, or BJ, or whomever else... and nobody else on the roster is either. The fact that he is guarded like an elite shooter creates the spacing I was referring to. St. John's game planned on stopping him, it literally gave opportunities to everyone else on the team. Other ACC teams have done similar since.

2) Not everyone is privy to Roberson and what goes on with him during practice. There is a reason he is not playing like some think he should and it's nothing to profound - JB does not like what he is seeing enough to give him more mins.

3)G has been better, agreed. He is getting more confident.

The point of #1 is that he's not attracting adverse attention, because all teams do is just play tight on him. That's it, there's no magic to it, and it's evidenced by the fact he still gets open looks every game.

wins are like babies: all babies are beautiful and all wins are good

On a recent trip, my 9 year old dropped his slice of pizza in a rest stop and wanted to pick it up and eat it.

I told him to toss it but he said even floor pizza is good pizza (though he lost the debate).

baby-gerald-the-baby-with-the-one-eyebrow-20080825024633180_640w.jpg

Ya, I think it was a great ROAD win considering Grant played 13 hobbling minutes, Rak never showed-up and TC was ice cold. Oh...and don't forget that this game tipped-off less than 48 hours after an emotional loss in Durham or that the team hasn't slept in their own beds since Thursday. Never mind that Maryland had a week to prepare for us.

Maryland, especially at home, was a classic trap game that I was very worried about.

Good thing we have Cooney opening up all those lanes on offense or we would have trouble getting to 60 points per game...oh wait.
We'd probably see more games like our first Pitt game.

The point of #1 is that he's not attracting adverse attention, because all teams do is just play tight on him. That's it, there's no magic to it, and it's evidenced by the fact he still gets open looks every game.
Then what exactly does it mean "just like any other elite"? Do you also mean no other elite shooter gets open? Are you trying to imply he is an elite shooter but gets played like most other guards? I am not following the logic here. Either he is getting more attention, which he most surely is, or he isn't.

Just watch how other teams pack the lane when either Ennis or G is off the ball. Their defenders play way off of them. Thats why it is so critical for both of them to take the wide open shots. They have shown they can make them. So the final point is that Cooney absolutely gets played differently and it does open more room to drive for the others.

60 points per game or less is also more indicative of how other teams are milking the clock when they are on offense. I can't remember an SU team that had so many 35 seconds shot violations by their opponents and so many last second desperation shots. You can't score without the ball. Someone showed the metrics lately on points per possession. That is a far more accurate measure than total points per game.We aren't great but we are quite good most of the time. I know it doesn't seem so but that is also a function of so few possessions per game. Each time down court gets a much higher value.

That's why I limit myself on posting after losses. I don't need anything enhancing my innate predisposition to panic.

60 points per game or less is also more indicative of how other teams are milking the clock when they are on offense. I can't remember an SU team that had so many 35 seconds shot violations by their opponents and so many last second desperation shots. You can't score without the ball. Someone showed the metrics lately on points per possession. That is a far more accurate measure than total points per game.We aren't great but we are quite good most of the time. I know it doesn't seem so but that is also a function of so few possessions per game. Each time down court gets a much higher value.[/quote]
Bingo!!

The inability to control/dictate tempo has always been my biggest concern with playing zone exclusively. He11, even Duke ran clock on Saturday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom