ACC fans won't like this... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC fans won't like this...

Why do we keep pretending that Georgetown and UConn are our rivals? Until pigs can fly, we aren't going to play them again with any regularity. It is 2014. I am tired of the incessant UConn and Georgetown posts here. They are totally irrelevant to us this season. Let's live in the present and the future ... and not in the past.
I have the utmost respect for your opinion. I am a SU alumnus. I was a cheerleader in 1973. I bleed Orange. It took four decades to build this. After all, you wouldn't expect Michigan to suddenly start embracing the State University of Ohio if they switched leagues. It might take a couple of years. Don't you think?

Now UConn was right up there with Georgetown for a while when Calhoun was around. Now, in their new league, I really think they'll slip into irrelevancy shortly so they don't matter as much. I was even over Pitt (kinda) because without the clutch and grab defense they couldn't "uglify" the game. But then we played them. Before the game, Dixon lorded his one game advantage over the last decade and during the game he was insufferable - Calhoun insufferable. You do have to give him credit, Calhoun would have blamed the loss on his kids. After the Pitt game - all I heard out of Pittsburgh was that they should have won.
Besides, I have a feeling we're going to see a Georgetown home and home regularly on our schedule and, knowing the rating bonanza potential, Georgetown will make our bracket if they make the Tourney. Mark my words.

Why do we keep pretending that Georgetown and UConn are our rivals? Until pigs can fly, we aren't going to play them again with any regularity. It is 2014. I am tired of the incessant UConn and Georgetown posts here. They are totally irrelevant to us this season. Let's live in the present and the future ... and not in the past.
Teams we battle for supremacy are rivals of course in the common meaning of the word.
But they're not RIVALS and certainly not the ARCH-RIVAL whom we detest and hate with a passion built up and boiling over from decades of bitter confrontation.

SU may be good at forgetting history and passion.
But not necessarily so for Orange fans who have lived for those games for so long.

Even while watching what could be a very special season unfolding...
I LOOOOOAAAAAAATHE G-TOWN!

Get them on the schedule.
Keep hate alive!

Just wait until the inevitable 2nd round tourney matchup

History? Noone stays at the top forever.

Sure, but with our recruiting lately, I don't see a drop-off in "several years." That said, our definition of several years is probably different.

Louisville will end up being a big rival. Pitt will as well. I think Duke will as well, because i think they will be annoyed we upset their balance of power in the conference.

I think this has been mentioned in other threads before but again - you don't pick and choose your rivals, rivalries happen. Nobody was saying in 1980 that Georgetown would be our rival. After beating us 5 straight times (Hoya Hex anyone?) along with the Manley atrocity, the rivalry created itself. Thus will be of all true rivalries going forward as well...carry on

Pitt and Louisville will be our rivals.

I think Pitt is UConn lite. They have had a really nice run, but I don't see it continuing indefinitely. I consider them UConn Lite because despite the regular season success and success against us in particular, they have had no post season success worthy of note.

I have a hard time considering them to be a big rivalry. I know they've enjoyed a certain amount of success against us in recent years, but we dominated them for a long time prior to that. I just keep thinking that there period of success will expire shortly and then it will be like our "rivalry" with St. John's except that none of the games are played in NYC.

The hate for those two schools will die down eventually much like Colgate or St. Bonaventure. But the wounds are still fresh. It also doesn't seem like we're part of the ACC yet for hoops. We've played Nova and St. John's and all our conference games except one were against former Big East teams. Going forward we have a lot of game against teams we never shared a conference with. Once that happen the UConn and Georgetown posts will lessen.

I think Pitt is UConn lite. They have had a really nice run, but I don't see it continuing indefinitely. I consider them UConn Lite because despite the regular season success and success against us in particular, they have had no post season success worthy of note.

I have a hard time considering them to be a big rivalry. I know they've enjoyed a certain amount of success against us in recent years, but we dominated them for a long time prior to that. I just keep thinking that there period of success will expire shortly and then it will be like our "rivalry" with St. John's except that none of the games are played in NYC.

That's fair. Pitt has been good for 12 years now. That's a pretty long time. I also have my doubts about whether they will be able to keep up the success. The last time it was real heated on both sides seemed to be 2003. I was just a lurker then, but I remember a lot of trolling on our R board by Pitt fans and our fans on their R board as well. It will turn into a heated rivalry pretty quick though if the stars align and they beat us at the Pete and we meet again in the ACC final.

But for at least this year, if we can't win the ACC, I hope they do. We've played them forever, and in a few years they will be our longest lasting conference rival in that we will have shared a conference with them longer than any other school. Of UConn, WVU, UConn, Pitt and Rutgers, they're the school I hate the least and am glad that we're in this together.

The hate for those two schools will die down eventually much like Colgate or St. Bonaventure. But the wounds are still fresh. It also doesn't seem like we're part of the ACC yet for hoops. We've played Nova and St. John's and all our conference games except one were against former Big East teams. Going forward we have a lot of game against teams we never shared a conference with. Once that happen the UConn and Georgetown posts will lessen.

In some ways this may depend on the fates of their programs. St. Bonaventure and Colgate both essentially dropped off the Division I map, neither are relevant in Division I basketball. Even when we play those two schools they don't present a challenge, so younger fans think of them as doormats.

At the moment both UConn and Georgetown are relevant with recent success in the regular season and in the NCAA tournament. If they continue to stay relevant in Division I basketball, I think people here will recall the rivalries with those programs, especially if there are periodic matchups (even if only in tournaments) where we play them and the outcome is not preordained.

This Pitt fan is a good poster, and welcome to continue contributing. However, I don't hate Pitt I hate their style and arrogance. The program is good in the regular season, but in 10 years under Jaime Dixon has never went further in the NCAA tournament than their seed dictated. They don't overachieve they underachieve, and is that is because the rugby BS style of defense they play in the Big East isn't allowed in the NCAAs. Pitt needs to overachieve and make a run and then I will consider them a peer. Until then stop acting like your UConn/Syracuse/Louisville when your basically Marquette. That poster who made a big deal about beating us 10 of 14 makes that out to be like that matters. Regular season basketball is nothing more than a resume builder for March. Every teams loses games this isn't college football where each game matters for the season.

Unless we can start getting closer to UNC and Duke in terms of recruiting, we are going to be wishing we were still playing Georgetown and UConn.

That said, I am going to relish what the OP said for this season! Even if it is only one season, I'm glad it happened. Of course we still have work to do to make this an embarrassing season for the ACC. I won't be satisfied if we split with Duke. Not this season. Carpe rare-opportunity-season.
What? We recruit with those guys. Now, if you said that Kansas and Kentucky out recruit us, fine. We will recruit with and play with Duke and UNC.

This Pitt fan is a good poster, and welcome to continue contributing. However, I don't hate Pitt I hate their style and arrogance. The program is good in the regular season, but in 10 years under Jaime Dixon has never went further in the NCAA tournament than their seed dictated. They don't overachieve they underachieve, and is that is because the rugby BS style of defense they play in the Big East isn't allowed in the NCAAs. Pitt needs to overachieve and make a run and then I will consider them a peer. Until then stop acting like your UConn/Syracuse/Louisville when your basically Marquette. That poster who made a big deal about beating us 10 of 14 makes that out to be like that matters. Regular season basketball is nothing more than a resume builder for March. Every teams loses games this isn't college football where each game matters for the season.

Marquette has a national championship (1977) and another final four (2003). I know Marquette; and Pitt is no Marquette.

Why all the Pitt hate? They have been representing Syracuse's conference(s) pretty well the past decade or so, much better than 95% of teams in the country. They are a solid team and along with us, are salvaging the ACC's reputation - the year when it was billed as the nation's best conference.

The final four stuff is ridiculous. A few minutes of a few games of a single-elimination tournament does not make or break a program; it has nothing to do with Pitt's success just about everywhere else, especially against us.

How many want to trade Butler for Pitt?

IMO we're a little premature in writing off the ACC teams at this point. Outside of a down UNC we have only beaten BC, VT, and UM. We haven't played @Duke, @UVA, @FSU...those will all be very tough games and we are likely to lose a couple. I don't think we can say yet that it's just between SU and Pitt.

^^THIS^^

Louisville will be our new rival. The problem is, it won't be a "hated" rival. Their fans respect our program, and I think most here respect theirs. Our "hated" rival will be Pitt. Not even a question. They play like thugs, Dixon whines worse than old school JB whenever we beat them, and a majority of their fans hate SU's success. It's Louisville and Pitt all the way. GTown and UConn are now irrelevant to us. Nothing they do matters anymore.

Why all the Pitt hate? They have been representing Syracuse's conference(s) pretty well the past decade or so, much better than 95% of teams in the country. They are a solid team and along with us, are salvaging the ACC's reputation - the year when it was billed as the nation's best conference.

The final four stuff is ridiculous. A few minutes of a few games of a single-elimination tournament does not make or break a program; it has nothing to do with Pitt's success just about everywhere else, especially against us.

How many want to trade Butler for Pitt?

Pitt is our new GTown. That is the reason for the "hate". I'm glad Pitt is with us. They are a natural rival. Just because we can't stand them doesn't mean we don't have respect for them. They beat us up for several years, so we should hate them. Now that we have returned the favors a few times, Dixon hates us. I'm glad he does. I hope we keep those feelings up and give the ACC another seething rivalry. This could be Duke/UNC north.

^^THIS^^

Louisville will be our new rival. The problem is, it won't be a "hated" rival. Their fans respect our program, and I think most here respect theirs. Our "hated" rival will be Pitt. Not even a question. They play like thugs, Dixon whines worse than old school JB whenever we beat them, and a majority of their fans hate SU's success. It's Louisville and Pitt all the way. GTown and UConn are now irrelevant to us. Nothing they do matters anymore.
Aren't you forgetting Duke? They already are the "must see" game. Attendance will be the number SU wants it to be. And while some say Duke already has UNC, well LVille already has UK. And remember when SU found it in us to hate UConn even though we already hated GTown.

You start adding a little history to this and the Duke thing will take off. Like SU winning the ACC. Or on the downside Duke ending our undefeated season (and stopping us from setting our record). Or SU winning at Duke. The SU/Duke game is poised to be huge ratings every time they play for the foreseeable future. Big game every time.

What a terrible post. I understand we are in a new conference and that Syracuse is trying to manufacture some rivalries to make up for what we lost in leaving the Big East but Georgetown and UConn are what some of us grew up with. I have been a season ticket holder the last decade because I grew up supporting Syracuse against those hated teams. I will continue to support the Orange against new foes but do I want to see those teams on the schedule in the future on a semi-regular basis? Absolutely. No reason not to be playing Georgetown unless they do not want the game. I hate UConn most of all but understand not playing them unless its a MSG/Dome tradeoff (and it wont be) due to us gaining little with a game in the middle of nowhere.

Aren't you forgetting Duke? They already are the "must see" game. Attendance will be the number SU wants it to be. And while some say Duke already has UNC, well LVille already has UK. And remember when SU found it in us to hate UConn even though we already hated GTown.

You start adding a little history to this and the Duke thing will take off. Like SU winning the ACC. Or on the downside Duke ending our undefeated season (and stopping us from setting our record). Or SU winning at Duke. The SU/Duke game is poised to be huge ratings every time they play for the foreseeable future. Big game every time.

SU - Duke will be a big game as long as both teams are good and JB and K are there. They will never consider us a rival unless the two of us duke it out (no pun) for the league title the next ten years. Our rivals lie where the history is, and that is Louisville and Pitt. Louisville has beat us when we were #1, and we returned the favor. Pitt has mauled us more than once over the years, breaking our unbeaten streaks. We already have reasons to dislike them. It will take a lot for SU - Duke to be a hated rivalry. Maybe if we sweep them this season they'll hate us a little more, but their fans think we're beneath them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom