ACC Is Crap | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Is Crap

I have no delusions that our team is great. It's not.

We can get hot with treys and give anyone a run for the money.

But I watch another ACC game with the cuse and see us called for ticky tack hand check and light contact fouls and our opposition getting hard body fouls no-called again.

I miss the big east.

We had some horredously called games under paparo, higgins and burr, but the games were always physical and the bad calls were mix of incompetence and the fact they disliked boeheim.

These days, its like we're viewd as carpetbaggers vs. traditional ACC teams by the refs and the refereeing reflects that.

Maybe I just miss the big east for basketball but I don't feel at home in this league and I think we're being reminded of it repeatedly with the uneven refereeing.

It's bothersome.

Yeah and I think these are the underlying feelings JB has when he lets out the obligatory "I don't know what they are thinking" in reference to ACC schedule makers.

I am among those who take issue with officiating, especially as of late, however, to take a conspiratorial stance that it is anti Cuse because we are not old true blood ACC stock is patently ridiculous.

The fact of the matter is that the college game has been morphing and changing over the past 20 years. The way the teams are constructed and the manner in which teams play on both offense and defense has changed dramatically.

A couple of things are very obvious at a glance. The scoring in the college game is down dramatically because of the way that players are allowed to pretty much mug and assault players who have the ball. When teams press the defensive player is allowed pretty much inside the shorts of the offensive player. Perhaps what is the most disturbing and incomprehensible aspect of officiating is the complete and utter lack of consistency, not only between different officials but the way calls are made from one half to another and against one team and another in the same game.

Of course that no doubt provides fodder for conspiracy but there is a difference between lack of continuity and intentional punitive calling of fouls to impact the outcome of a game. Todays college game has no flow to it because of the impact that officiating and the slow down / limit possessions type of defensive strategy which is implemented by some teams. (Wisconsin comes to mind) Or the type of play where defensive play is so outwardly foul laden that the officials reactions to contact, hand checking, bumping, and shoving has seemingly become desensitized. ( Louisville and Pitt come to mind).

It had become just as bad in the Big East toward the final years of the league. There weren't as many crying conspiracy then were there? Sadly,the college game has morphed into a game which much of the time is unwatchable due to the manner in which it is played coupled with the manner in which it is officiated. There have been times where it seems like our 5 on the court couldn't compete with their 5 plus 2 officials who were calling a really bad game.

If you love the game I'd suggest going on You Tube , go back to a Syracuse/ Big East game which was played back in the 80's and watch the manner of play and the manner of officiating. I guarantee you will not recognize it as being the same game that we are presented with today. In spite of the fact that the kids arrive on campus more polished, skilled, conditioned, and educated about the game than ever before, todays college game is only a shadow of what we used to see back in the heyday of the Big East.

Here is a link like I had mentioned: This is a great game with Pearl vs. Walter Berry for 1st place in the Big East! enjoy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom