ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 116 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Even John Skipper has talked publicly about how the ACC adding the most valuable members of the Pac would benefit the ACC, perhaps a good deal. Colorado is not among that group.
This should be a no brainer. The ACC must maintain its status as the 3rd best conference behind the Big10 and SEC.

The ACC cannot afford to add any dead weight, and dead weight is determined by TV drawing power. Colorado, Washington State and Oregon St would all be dead weight to the ACC. So would SDSU. The other 7 could be a west coast branch of the ACC with some value. But would that value be enough to the ACC to bother with it? We do need to learn that answer quickly in case it could help the ACC.
Several of the other PAC schools do have value. The ACC needs to do everything it can to outflank the Big12 as the third best conference. As long as the additions are net neutrals on revenue, it’s worth it to outflank the Big 12. It doesn’t need to net the conference more TV money, just the same or a bit more than it currently gets. If the ACC stands pat, Florida State, Clemson and Miami will look to bolt to the Big 12 if they can’t get an SEC or BIG invite. The ACC needs to add Washington, Oregon, Stanford, ASU, Utah and a few other west coasters.

Last edited:
I would love for the Acc to add Oregon and Washington and maybe two more, rumor is pac 12 schools were staring strait at a media deal that was around 17 million a year and that’s part of reason Colorado bolted, if the Big10 doesn’t want them and Big 12 wants 4 corner schools, offer UW and Oregon a smaller share if they bring in enough revenue to justify it. I think Oregon FSU or Clemson vs UW on prime time would draw a lot of eye balls. Plus even though there is unequal revenue share coming if they make the playoff it’s more money for Syracuse.
Exactly. Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Oregon and Washington are way better brands than anything in the Big 12.

Why add Oregon and Washington when they will be short-timers. They will eventually be in the Big 10. It's the reason the Big 12 didn't go after them.
Actually, the Big10 doesn’t want them. They don’t move the needle enough on revenue for the BIG. If they join the ACC, they would sign the GOR.

Last edited:
WV/Cincy aren’t available for another 5 years. The only options are USF and Temple.

You can’t get into Texas now. You have horrible choices and they would be on an island. Maybe in 5 years you can raid the B12 for Texas schools.
I think that’s what the ACC might do in a few years. Raid the Big 12 for their best football schools/best fits a year or two before they go to negotiate their next deal.

Last edited:
Everyone else meaning Washington and Oregon? There is little to no chance they choose the ACC over the Big 12, and there is no chance the Big 12 won’t offer them
The ACC is vastly superior to the Big 12 in terms of football product and football powers, plus likeminded highly competitive academic institutions. There’s no contest there. Remember it’s college presidents that make these decisions. Why would any of these schools choose the Big 12? What’s the appeal?

Also, the PAC schools would give the ACC Network valuable product for Pacific time zone TVs and for the 11pm hour during basketball season, etc.

Last edited:
You can’t get into Texas now. You have horrible choices and they would be on an island. Maybe in 5 years you can raid the B12 for Texas schools.
Keep your eyes on UTSA they could be the next UCF in terms of program trajectory.

The ACC is the 3rd best conference. It should only expand if the expansion is truly beneficial. It doesn't have to do anything.
Let everything melt around you if your island is firm.

There’s no war game move for the ACC here unless ND was feeling charitable and wanted to join. Otherwise hold the line
Holding Hold The Line GIF

If the ACC does expand, which teams would you like to see join the conference? Curious what you all think.

Not too much ground breaking info but some interesting nuggets in there. Specifically the potential to expand to prevent other conferences from expanding.

Not too much ground breaking info but some interesting nuggets in there. Specifically the potential to expand to prevent other conferences from expanding.

Good ole Florida St, thinking they are this huge valuable asset.

West pod of 4

Yes, probably a net revenue gain but...
Logistical reasons give me pause. All that travel is bad for the staff and athletes.

If we took the top 6 PAC schools then that is enough for the non rev sports to minimize scheduling cross country. For BBall we would have 3 trips a year. For FB it would be 1 trip most years, occasionally 0 trips.

Last edited:
If the ACC does expand, which teams would you like to see join the conference? Curious what you all think.

I think an All Coast Conference makes sense, but does it make cents?

Washington - good FB brand and brings Seattle. Likely ends up in the B16 some day.

Oregon - good FB brand

Stanford - decent FB brand and brings SF

Cal - has a bunch of alumni in California

Arizona State - decent FB brand and brings Phoenix

Utah - decent FB brand and brings Salt Lake City

I think that could work. In BBall you play every team once a year and your main rival 2x (20 games). FB you play 3 perm rivals yearly (same as now) and rotate to rest (8 games). Which means you play everyone 5x in 16 years (about once every 3 years).

I think adding teams that far away will hurt the ACC. Super long road trips are very taxing on teams. It is going to hurt the B1G.

That said, the pro towards adding teams is that there are quality programs available now and if the goal is to end up with say 16 quality programs, and you think it is inevitable that you are going to lose 2 or 3 programs down the road, it makes sense to bring in the best replacements possible now, while they are still available.

I think if the ACC does expand now, it is because they have come to the conclusion they are definitely losing a few programs down the road.

I think adding teams that far away will hurt the ACC. Super long road trips are very taxing on teams. It is going to hurt the B1G.

That said, the pro towards adding teams is that there are quality programs available now and if the goal is to end up with say 16 quality programs, and you think it is inevitable that you are going to lose 2 or 3 programs down the road, it makes sense to bring in the best replacements possible now, while they are still available.

I think if the ACC does expand now, it is because they have come to the conclusion they are definitely losing a few programs down the road.
There aren't any programs in or near the ACC footprint that people seem interested in. The accountant guys only want programs that are "accretive", I don't think is a program out there that would fulfill that requirement.

I agree with all of this. None of “all” of this is a win-win but I think the commissioner thinking of adding teams as a way to prevent a conference like the B12 from getting so big they’re powerful purely as a result of size, makes a lot of sense. Also when I think of games between the remaining P12 teams, I don’t want to puke. They’re quality college teams, maybe not based on recent performance but they’re quality names. I have no internal interest in playing them but when we’re throwing out colleges like Temple and UTSA. Yeah, I’ll take Oregon all day, thank you.

Scheduling can also be done in a creative way to reduce travel. Maybe. Lol. There aren’t a lot of options left though. This is really the most viable path to staying relevant despite the travel aspect.

The only thing that makes sense is Notre Dame and West Virginia for the ACC. Having ND, Miami, Clemson, and FSU solidifies things.

Plus with 16 you can do a 3-6-6 schedule for football where Cuse annually plays WVU Pitt and BC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom