ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 114 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

You need to even things out geographically and they are the only acceptable team from the availables.
WVU is in the right geography as you put it. So is Cincy. And you are not thinking about how if the AXCC is thinking about becoming truly National, it may have eyes on a couple of TX schools. That state, even without UT and A&M, is worth a good deal.

WVU is in the right geography as you put it. So is Cincy. And you are not thinking about how if the AXCC is thinking about becoming truly National, it may have eyes on a couple of TX schools. That state, even without UT and A&M, is worth a good deal.

WV/Cincy aren’t available for another 5 years. The only options are USF and Temple.

You can’t get into Texas now. You have horrible choices and they would be on an island. Maybe in 5 years you can raid the B12 for Texas schools.

UConn would make a lot more sense than Temple.

IMO Temple offers more. They play in a major media market. It is easy to get there for the other teams and their fans. They have local recruits which helps other ACC teams. The stadium is way better.

In BBall they also help in recruiting.

How does UConn being good at BBall help any other ACC team become better or richer?

IMO Temple offers more. They play in a major media market. It is easy to get there for the other teams and their fans. They have local recruits which helps other ACC teams. The stadium is way better.

How does UConn being good at BBall help any other ACC team become better or richer?
Neither makes sense, but U Conn makes more sense between the two

UConn is the entire state of Connecticut. No one in Philly cares about Temple.

How does Temple add money? they have no fans. They have no national interest. No one goes to their games except the one time in 100 years they're decent and get Penn State at home.

The ACC isn't adding a school no one cares about because of basketball recruiting.

I think the two Pac12 teams that really are in trouble are WSU and OSU. Unless the Big 12 is willing to just swallow up the entire 10 PAC teams left and create a mega conference, those two teams may not have a home. I think all others will find a home between the Big 10(just Washington, Oregon and/or the Northern Cal schools if they are even interested in anyone) and then whomever is left for the ACC/Big 12

UConn is the entire state of Connecticut. No one in Philly cares about Temple.

How does Temple add money? they have no fans. They have no national interest. No one goes to their games except the one time in 100 years they're decent and get Penn State at home.

The ACC isn't adding a school no one cares about because of basketball recruiting.

What does UConn add? Both suck. BTW Temple’s 4 year avg attendance was 6K more than UConn.

Neither are worthy but for geography Temple is better. USF would be ideal but can’t see them getting the votes.

All incoming schools to the ACC would have to sign the existing GOR.

It would not affect the GOR regarding the existing ACC schools.
If Stanford, California, Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, and Washington St are left behind.
Getting to join the ACC should be a no brainer, it would be a life raft through 2036.
It would also bolster the ACC, Stanford could be an annual Notre Dame game counting for Stanford in the standings.

Exactly. If the GOR could have been broken, the GOR would have been broken by now. When the GOR is short and finances allow a school to buy their way out, sure, the school may go the way of OU and UT. The ACC GOR is simply too large at this time to buy out and provides stability for a decade or more.

I'm not sure a school would even try to get out of the GOR early.

Isn't part of the GOR that if a school leaves, all monies goes to the ACC until the GOR expires?

I think in terms of Value to the ACC it would be…

1. Washington
2. Oregon
3. Arizona State
4. Stanford
5. Utah
6. Arizona
7. Cal
8. Washington State
9. Oregon State

I don’t think you can split Stanford and Cal. The ACC could take the first 4 and Cal, plus Temple. That gives the ACC 20 schools which is easy to schedule.
So you’re saying Cal is still in this?

If Stanford, California, Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, and Washington St are left behind.
Getting to join the ACC should be a no brainer, it would be a life raft through 2036.
It would also bolster the ACC, Stanford could be an annual Notre Dame game counting for Stanford in the standings.
I think a lot of those schools would prefer the Big 12 over the ACC(assuming the Big 10 isn’t interested first) and as aggressive as Yormark is, I would not be shocked if they take enough Pac teams to get to 20 teams. Having a deal through 2036 is not as good as having a deal through 2031 like the Big 12 has, that is stable too and it is better to have the option to do a new deal way before the ACC can again. Live sports is always going to be of huge value.

I suppose you could take Utah instead of an Eastern team. Then the ACC teams can all keep their 3 perm rivals. But that adds an extra cross country trip. Also instead of playing 4 teams yearly and everyone else 4x in 15 years, you are at only 3 teams yearly and 5x in 16 years.

So Oregon State/Washington State to the MWC, Arizona to the B12, everyone else to the ACC. Temple and UConn left out.

While the math of an alliance works out (PAC 9 + 5 ND games), I doubt FSU and Clemson want to give up SEC OOC games for PAC 9 games. They aren’t going to play 11 P5s.

You may be confusing the GOR and the current media deals. Adding schools can reopen negotiations on the ESPN deal, but I believe as quoted above, GOR explicitly states any new members will be bound by the current agreement.

Yeah, that's probably it. I think I was conflating the two. Sorry, all.

I suppose you could take Utah instead of an Eastern team. Then the ACC teams can all keep their 3 perm rivals. But that adds an extra cross country trip. Also instead of playing 4 teams yearly and everyone else 4x in 15 years, you are at only 3 teams yearly and 5x in 16 years.

So Oregon State/Washington State to the MWC, Arizona to the B12, everyone else to the ACC. Temple and UConn left out.
Everyone else meaning Washington and Oregon? There is little to no chance they choose the ACC over the Big 12, and there is no chance the Big 12 won’t offer them

Everyone else meaning Washington and Oregon? There is little to no chance they choose the ACC over the Big 12, and there is no chance the Big 12 won’t offer them
Why so?

Edit

You don’t think playing in Cali is very important to both? They can’t get that in the B12.

Last edited:

I'm telling ya, Big12 ain't going after UW and Oregon. It's a short-term investment. The league has basically said so by going after Colorado, and now, apparently, Arizona.

Why so?

Edit

You don’t think playing in Cali is very important to both? They can’t get that in the B12.
They can’t get that in the ACC either unless Stanford and Cal come to the ACC and I don’t see that either, I think the B12 will want them too and they may prefer the B12 too

I'm telling ya, Big12 ain't going after UW and Oregon. It's a short-term investment. The league has basically said so by going after Colorado, and now, apparently, Arizona.
I hope so, the ACC has a deal through 2036 so if Oregon and Washington don’t get B10 or B12 invites we can get them through 2036 or close to it, they can’t come to the ACC and then bail as soon as the B10 eventually may come calling, the GOR will prevent that

As it stands now from a revenue and stability standpoint, we have a P2, the 3 next tier conferences, and the G5. Out of the 3 next tier conferences, the Pac 12 is falling apart, the ACC's best assets want to leave and may when the GORs are up, and the Big 12 is the most stable and highest revenue generator of the 3. The Big 12 is the most stable of the 3 next tier conferences because none of their schools are viable candidates for addition to the P2 (except maybe Kansas). Two years ago, the Big 12 was on its deathbed, but they recovered. As it stands now, it looks like the Big 12 may become the strongest of the next tier conferences. My guess is that the Pac 12 ultimately merges with the MWC after most of their key schools move on.

What does this mean for Syracuse? Around 2032, ACC schools might start looking around for their next landing spot with some schools attractive to the Big 10, the SEC, and the Big 12. I don't think Syracuse will be a potential candidate to join the Big 10 or the SEC, so the choices could be to reconstruct a new ACC or try to get into the Big 12. So, Syracuse should become friends with as many Big 12 schools as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom