ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 115 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

As it stands now from a revenue and stability standpoint, we have a P2, the 3 next tier conferences, and the G5. Out of the 3 next tier conferences, the Pac 12 is falling apart, the ACC's best assets want to leave and may when the GORs are up, and the Big 12 is the most stable and highest revenue generator of the 3. The Big 12 is the most stable of the 3 next tier conferences because none of their schools are viable candidates for addition to the P2 (except maybe Kansas). Two years ago, the Big 12 was on its deathbed, but they recovered. As it stands now, it looks like the Big 12 may become the strongest of the next tier conferences. My guess is that the Pac 12 ultimately merges with the MWC after most of their key schools move on.

What does this mean for Syracuse? Around 2032, ACC schools might start looking around for their next landing spot with some schools attractive to the Big 10, the SEC, and the Big 12. I don't think Syracuse will be a potential candidate to join the Big 10 or the SEC, so the choices could be to reconstruct a new ACC or try to get into the Big 12. So, Syracuse should become friends with as many Big 12 schools as possible.
Great point about the Big12, they don’t have a Clemson or FSU who are blatantly part of the haves and will easily get a P2 offer, their teams are all solid yet unspectacular so no one is disgruntled like Oklahoma and Texas were, and how Clemson, FSU, Miami etc are. There is no doubt that the big name ACC teams will all leave when the GOR is expiring and my guess is Clemson, FSU, NC, Miami are all locks to get P2 offers at minimum. Totally agree that an ACC made up of somewhere between 8-10 of the remaining teams plus some adds, or being part of the Big 12 will be our options. I think the Big12 would very much welcome us, but considering it’s 13 years out, who knows what anything looks like

You know what is funny? That when Colorado left the Big 12 in 2010, the conference had Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Missouri and Texas A&M. Now, to be fair, some may have already announced their intention to depart. But today, they burst back in the room, ... only to be met by West Virginia, UCF, TCU, Houston and BYU.

Colorado must be thinking: "Hey, what happened to that guy, ... I think his name was Nebraska? Have you seem that old ghost, name of Oklahoma? Boy that tool, Texas, used to think pretty highly of himself, what ever happened to him?"

What a world. It is so sad that it has all came to this (and yes, that has to include SU too).

Colorado has sucked for years and even if Deion turns them around, he is going to bail for an SEC gig and they might suck again. However, this is a PR disaster for the PAC 12, they can’t even hang onto a team who has been crap for the last 15 years

If the Pac 9 implodes then this was worth it. But if the Pac 9 survives, the B12 will get the worse of this move. They severely watered down their already watered down product. Their next TV contract won't be pretty if things don't change.

The last 10 years...

Worst P5 team in Ws: Kansas (#128 overall and only UMass was worse in the FBS)

They just added #110 Colorado, who is also the 4th worst P5 program.

If UConn is added, say hello to #127. Yes, they didn't play in 2020 but they would need 4 Ws that year to tie the team ahead of them.

So if UConn is added the B12 would have the worst two P5s and three of the worst five!

The other team mentioned often with the B12 is Arizona. They are 101st.

The B12 was pretty respectable top to bottom. Their issue was not having any big name teams. If they can't get Oregon or Washington to come too, they just made the conference worse. And they will not get paid any more now for these moves. Their hope is that in 5 years they can cash in on watering things down?

I'm not sure a school would even try to get out of the GOR early.

Isn't part of the GOR that if a school leaves, all monies goes to the ACC until the GOR expires?
A school's TV rights stay with the conference for the duration of the GOR. A school can buy them back but it is very expensive and the remaining parties ( Conference, member schools, ESPN ) must agree to the buyout. UT and OU went this route and paid through the nose.

Colorado has sucked for years and even if Deion turns them around, he is going to bail for an SEC gig and they might suck again. However, this is a PR disaster for the PAC 12, they can’t even hang onto a team who has been crap for the last 15 years
Prime has medical issues too...not a slam dunk he wins big.

As it stands now from a revenue and stability standpoint, we have a P2, the 3 next tier conferences, and the G5. Out of the 3 next tier conferences, the Pac 12 is falling apart, the ACC's best assets want to leave and may when the GORs are up, and the Big 12 is the most stable and highest revenue generator of the 3. The Big 12 is the most stable of the 3 next tier conferences because none of their schools are viable candidates for addition to the P2 (except maybe Kansas). Two years ago, the Big 12 was on its deathbed, but they recovered. As it stands now, it looks like the Big 12 may become the strongest of the next tier conferences. My guess is that the Pac 12 ultimately merges with the MWC after most of their key schools move on.

What does this mean for Syracuse? Around 2032, ACC schools might start looking around for their next landing spot with some schools attractive to the Big 10, the SEC, and the Big 12. I don't think Syracuse will be a potential candidate to join the Big 10 or the SEC, so the choices could be to reconstruct a new ACC or try to get into the Big 12. So, Syracuse should become friends with as many Big 12 schools as possible.
ACC revenue is actually third or a very close fourth and will get even better by 2027.

ACC revenue is actually third or a very close fourth and will get even better by 2027.
It better. I don't follow this stuff like many here, but if ESPN wants the ACC to survive, they will give us a significant bump at the next look in.

What.

It better. I don't follow this stuff like many here, but if ESPN wants the ACC to survive, they will give us a significant bump at the next look in.
Just getting the Raycom controlled games back for the 27 season should yield an extra couple million a team on top of any escalators and look ins.

UConn to the Big12 is asinine, but reporters are hearing rumors like they did w Colorado

I say we pick up 4 of the next best Pac12 and make a west coast pod (Stanford, Oregon, Washington, and Cal)

PAC(9) should entice Simon Fraser to upgrade. A Canadian school playing major sports would be pretty cool, and Vancouver is a pretty decent market if they can get their programs going. I was really hoping UBC would upgrade back when SF did.

UConn to the Big12 is asinine, but reporters are hearing rumors like they did w Colorado

I say we pick up 4 of the next best Pac12 and make a west coast pod (Stanford, Oregon, Washington, and Cal)
If there is an ACC-PAC merger it makes more sense to take the entire PAC with like SDSU, UNLV, and Boise State. Then have East and West divisions that rarely play each other. Two conferences under the same umbrella.

If there is an ACC-PAC merger it makes more sense to take the entire PAC with like SDSU, UNLV, and Boise State. Then have East and West divisions that rarely play each other. Two conferences under the same umbrella.
That would be better then staying pat.
The ACC needs to at least show they are trying to better the league and the available product.

This is a joke. The Big 12 sucks. They have no legit football powers left. It’s a bunch of also-ran Texas and Great Plains schools. It’s barely better than the American. At least the Pac 12 is a prestigious (if somewhat tarnished) brand.

The Big 12 commish has been aggressive in expansion and selling what he has. That’s why this is happening. Meanwhile, the toothless ACC commish and the major ACC powers sit on their hands and fantasize about breaking the GOR (good luck with that). How about work together to ensure that the ACC remains the 3rd best conference? Do not cede that ground to the laughable Big 12.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom