ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 325 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Rice maybe, if their admin is willing to step up? Would make a nice partner for SMU and another middleground for the rest of the conference. Ditto Tulane. Obviously Texas>>>>Louisiana for markets, although I think as streaming becomes more predominant, BRANDS are what will be dictating market share and leverage in realignment.

As for recent expansion, I assume 3 was all that was possible to get approved at the time. And even then just barely so.

Rice was considering dropping to DII/dissolving football about 15 years ago. They are not and will never be serious enough to be a G5 team.

Rice was considering dropping to DII/dissolving football about 15 years ago. They are not and will never be serious enough to be a G5 team.
Not for lack of resources, but as an institutional direction. That appears to have changed with them accepting the AAC bid and sinking some more cash into their athletics. They fancy themselves Ivy-lite, and have a much larger endowment than SMU. If their admin decides to grow the profile of the school via exposure from sports, they would be well-placed to succeed at the highest level. It's my understanding that there has been some resistance to this, though.

8 AAC + Navy + Air Force + FCS leaves only room for one OOC.
Their schedule will be much more difficult than it currently is, I don't imagine they want another loss by playing a P5 team.

Not for lack of resources, but as an institutional direction. That appears to have changed with them accepting the AAC bid and sinking some more cash into their athletics. They fancy themselves Ivy-lite, and have a much larger endowment than SMU. If their admin decides to grow the profile of the school via exposure from sports, they would be well-placed to succeed at the highest level. It's my understanding that there has been some resistance to this, though.

Yes and being from the area and knowing someone close to the team, that resistance is definitely there. Sports are not paramount for Rice, academics are.

I dont get why they don't just make Army and Navy permanent conference opponents who play the last game of the season every year.

So I just learned something new today thanks to Jamboy youtube channel: Stanford and Cali play in the American East in Women's Field Hockey. So much for travel concerns:
1699557311984.png

Attachments

• 1699557331116.png
    1699557331116.png
    39 KB · Views: 24
So I just learned something new today thanks to Jamboy youtube channel: Stanford and Cali play in the American East in Women's Field Hockey. So much for travel concerns:
View attachment 233129

Interesting, had no idea. Looking at Cal's schedule, they played LIU and Stonehill, respectively, at Hofstra's stadium on 9/8 and 9/9, at Albany on 9/22, at Vermont on 9/24, at UMass Lowell on 10/6, at Bryant on 10/8, at New Hampshire on 10/27 and at Maine on 10/29. They also played three conference tournament games at UMass Lowell from 11/2 to 11/5. So four cross-country trips (maybe 5 if they went from Maine back to Cali back to UMass Lowell for the conference championships - doubtful). Seems like at least the field hockey teams will be used to the travel.

one big thing in todays world. You can keep kids from traveling back and forth for class with all the zoom/teams tech they have and they wont miss a class at all.

The trips east and west will be "maximized", that is, two teams will travel and play on two days, like Friday and Sunday. WLax example, UVa and VPI travel to Cali one plays Cal and the other plays Stanford on Fri and they switch on Sunday. Cal and Stanford come east and one plays UNC on Friday while the other plays Duke and they switch on Sunday. The Pac-12 does the same thing in b-ball right now.

Doubt it would ever happen. But based on today, the ACC should reach out to Michigan. Swing big.
I've said the same thing. Anybody who thinks that Ohio St, PSU, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue and Mich ST are going to just be good kids and allow this to play out without them using the situation to try to add to their power and status in the BT at the expense of Michigan is hopelessly naive. Michigan is stupid if it refuses to face that fact and see the risk. Even if it wins ultimately in the specifics of this matter, Michigan probably will lose some status and power within the BT.

I've said the same thing. Anybody who thinks that Ohio St, PSU, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue and Mich ST are going to just be good kids and allow this to play out without them using the situation to try to add to their power and status in the BT at the expense of Michigan is hopelessly naive. Michigan is stupid if it refuses to face that fact and see the risk. Even if it wins ultimately in the specifics of this matter, Michigan probably will lose some status and power within the BT.

I’m indifferent with Michigan. But I’m not entirely sure how the Big Ten can make such a quick decision without gathering all the details. Every team in the Big Ten complained. Which I completely understand. But to suspend the coach without a thorough investigation is unprecedented. Any of the evidence they would have had is from an investigation that another coach/school paid for. There is absolutely no way the big 10 could have appropriately investigated this in such a short period of time.

If I was a Michigan fan I would be irate. They are essentially throwing away any chance Michigan has at winning a national championship. This isn’t just suspending a coach that already has 2 loses. They are undefeated and look as dominant as anyone else.

There is a lot of smoke here, no doubt. And eventually the school should have to pay the crime once this is fully investigated. But imagine if Big 10 or NCAA never actually find concrete evidence or prove that this was lead or instituted by Harbaugh. Now you’re punishing a coach, a school, players preemptively because everyone complained. It’s just a bad bad look.

I could see Michigan administration being livid that this is being treated differently than any other situation in NCAA history and wanting to get away from a conference that unfairly “at this time” punished them without a proper investigation.

I’m indifferent with Michigan. But I’m not entirely sure how the Big Ten can make such a quick decision without gathering all the details. Every team in the Big Ten complained. Which I completely understand. But to suspend the coach without a thorough investigation is unprecedented. Any of the evidence they would have had is from an investigation that another coach/school paid for. There is absolutely no way the big 10 could have appropriately investigated this in such a short period of time.

If I was a Michigan fan I would be irate. They are essentially throwing away any chance Michigan has at winning a national championship. This isn’t just suspending a coach that already has 2 loses. They are undefeated and look as dominant as anyone else.

There is a lot of smoke here, no doubt. And eventually the school should have to pay the crime once this is fully investigated. But imagine if Big 10 or NCAA never actually find concrete evidence or prove that this was lead or instituted by Harbaugh. Now you’re punishing a coach, a school, players preemptively because everyone complained. It’s just a bad bad look.

I could see Michigan administration being livid that this is being treated differently than any other situation in NCAA history and wanting to get away from a conference that unfairly “at this time” punished them without a proper investigation.
I think they knew stuff before any investigation started. They tryed to over look it but the rest of the league knew what they knew.

My first reaction was it would be funny, but their is no benefit to it and you are hurting the fans. We deserve to see a Oregon vs Washington rematch. Although interestingly Oregon State still plays both and can sneak in.

My first reaction was it would be funny, but their is no benefit to it and you are hurting the fans. We deserve to see a Oregon vs Washington rematch. Although interestingly Oregon State still plays both and can sneak in.

Yeah they would never do it but it would be absolutely hilarious if they did.

Yeah they would never do it but it would be absolutely hilarious if they did.

They’d go from innocent victims to villains instantly.

I wonder if this plays out with OSU/WSU joining the MWC, but bringing the PAC-12 name with them so they conference rebrands. Somewhat like happened with the Big East, although slightly different in that 7 schools remained under Big East branding while in this case it would be only two.

Even in reading articles trying to explain the positions of the two sides, I can’t really figure out the OSU/WSU end game goal.

Judge Gary Libey deserves a gold star here. I think this means the Beavs and Cougs get all the CFP playoff money if Oregon or Washington get in. Absolutely perfect.

They’d go from innocent victims to villains instantly.

I wonder if this plays out with OSU/WSU joining the MWC, but bringing the PAC-12 name with them so they conference rebrands. Somewhat like happened with the Big East, although slightly different in that 7 schools remained under Big East branding while in this case it would be only two.

Even in reading articles trying to explain the positions of the two sides, I can’t really figure out the OSU/WSU end game goal.
OSU and WSU want to poach the MWC of its best 6-8 teams and some teams form the AAC and possibly the CUSA.

It will be interesting to see if the future playoff format is changed. Having the 4 best champs as seeds 1-4 is not ideal, and neither is having the 6 best champs as auto bids.

SEC has 8 of current Top 25
B18 has 6
B12 has 5
ACC has 3
G5 has 2

So those P4 conference champs will be worthy. Top 4 seeds though? The B12 highest is ranked 17 right now. The G5s getting an auto bid? What if Tulane loses in the AAC CG and Oregon State loses in whatever conference they are in. Then you have 2 non Top 25 teams in the playoff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom