ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Glad I read up on them. My first reaction seeing that name was “ what in the Mayberry RFD, Hooterville, Petticoat Junction loser crap company is this “?
But after further reflection, they seem very legit.

Why SMU? Are Cal and Stanford who refused religious schools in the past really going to vote Yes now? How is UNLV not the better pick? Or Boise? I get wanting to be in Texas but you are barely in Texas compared to the SEC and B12. Seems like a mid major move to me.

Why not also get Rice to give you 2 teams and academics, or why not take UTSA or Texas State instead of SMU? Long term they seem to have moire potential.

Why SMU? Are Cal and Stanford who refused religious schools in the past really going to vote Yes now? How is UNLV not the better pick? Or Boise? I get wanting to be in Texas but you are barely in Texas compared to the SEC and B12. Seems like a mid major move to me.

Why not also get Rice to give you 2 teams and academics, or why not take UTSA or Texas State instead of SMU? Long term they seem to have moire potential.
SMU has separated itself from the United Methodist Church.

Recruiting Texas. SMU has some history of football excellence.

Dandy Don Meredith extolled their academics. :)

SMU has separated itself from the United Methodist Church.

Just FYI (and maybe a few of our younger posters) Syracuse University was a Methodist-affiliated institution. Until about 1970, all of SU's chancellors were also ordained Methodist ministers.

Yeah, I find it a little puzzling that they wouldn't be all over UNLV. But what do I know.

They’re just trying to survive at this point. They’re a small notch above a mid-major

Just FYI (and maybe a few of our younger posters) Syracuse University was a Methodist-affiliated institution. Until about 1970, all of SU's chancellors were also ordained Methodist ministers.
Let’s change SU to Northern Methodist University.

Let’s change SU to Northern Methodist University.

cc71a1a9-41de-49de-bfbc-ce19c4b0724b_text.gif

Yeah, I find it a little puzzling that they wouldn't be all over UNLV. But what do I know.
I agree. I was going to say that neither SMU nor San Diego State have the name recognition of UNLV, but for fans of football history, SMU will always have a place in our hearts as the last team to receive the death penalty.

I understand the who "Southern California" allure of San Diego State, but if professional sports are any indication, San Diego does not create the SoCal value. Both the Clippers and the Chargers went from San Diego to LA to become second rated tenant in their arena/stadium. Similar to when my cousin told me how much loved living in California, you can be technically correct without really being correct. Technically my cousin does live in California because he lives in Bakersfield, just like San Diego is technically in Southern California. The reality, however, is when most people from other regions of the country think of California (and probably many that live in California), they do not think of Bakersfield. Similarly, when people hear "Southern California," they think more about LA and than San Diego.

The problem for the Pac is geography, which limits their options. With Houston bouncing to the XII, the AAC teams that might fit would be SMU and, if we pushed it, Tulane (who I have always hoped would join the ACC because I want to go to a road game in New Orleans), The other radiable conference close by would be the MWC. I think two of UNLV, Boise State, or Nevada would make the most sense as I assume the Pac does not want to add a team from a state other than California that already has a conference member.

The PAC only survives until the B1G raids their conference of Stanford, Oregon, Washington and Cal/Colorado. Then the Big 12 will take the most valuable leftovers (Arizona, ASU, Utah, Cal/CU).

I agree. I was going to say that neither SMU nor San Diego State have the name recognition of UNLV, but for fans of football history, SMU will always have a place in our hearts as the last team to receive the death penalty.

I understand the who "Southern California" allure of San Diego State, but if professional sports are any indication, San Diego does not create the SoCal value. Both the Clippers and the Chargers went from San Diego to LA to become second rated tenant in their arena/stadium. Similar to when my cousin told me how much loved living in California, you can be technically correct without really being correct. Technically my cousin does live in California because he lives in Bakersfield, just like San Diego is technically in Southern California. The reality, however, is when most people from other regions of the country think of California (and probably many that live in California), they do not think of Bakersfield. Similarly, when people hear "Southern California," they think more about LA and than San Diego.

The problem for the Pac is geography, which limits their options. With Houston bouncing to the XII, the AAC teams that might fit would be SMU and, if we pushed it, Tulane (who I have always hoped would join the ACC because I want to go to a road game in New Orleans), The other radiable conference close by would be the MWC. I think two of UNLV, Boise State, or Nevada would make the most sense as I assume the Pac does not want to add a team from a state other than California that already has a conference member.

Two key factors that influence the attractiveness of a school to a conference are the television market for said school and the access to quality recruits. UNLV doesn't offer much to the Pac 12.

Texas and Southern California (San Diego has players and is less than two hours away from Orange and LA counties) are recruiting hotbeds.

Dallas - Ft. Worth is the 5th largest television market in the country.
San Diego is ranked 28th.
Las Vegas is ranked 42nd.
New Orleans (Tulane) is ranked 53rd.

Television money drives college sports these days. Larger markets generate more revenue.

Two key factors that influence the attractiveness of a school to a conference are the television market for said school and the access to quality recruits. UNLV doesn't offer much to the Pac 12.

Texas and Southern California (San Diego has players and is less than two hours away from Orange and LA counties) are recruiting hotbeds.

Television money drives college sports these days. Larger markets generate more revenue.

Brand and size of fan base > physical market. Which is why UTSA IMO makes more sense. Or UTSA and SMU.

Recruits have a choice of SEC or B12. The P12 will get 3rd lick. Is that really worth it?

Whenever markets have been brought up in the past during realignment threads, the importance of a school's market largely had to do with cable and carriage rates. The B1G model had been to require BTN to placed on standard cable packages and pay a higher carriage rate in states with a B1G school. Based on cord cutting, it has been my impression that this is no longer as much of a benefit. If accurate, television markets may mean less than actual viewership.

The Pac is currently in negotiations for a new broadcast deal. As a result, I assume the broadcasters/streaming services are keeping the Pac informed about which schools they believe will bring the most value to Pac. It might be (and the fact Pac reps are visiting the schools, likely is) SMU and SDSU. It may also be of Nevada, UNLV, SDSU, and SMU, only SDSU and SMU did well enough to make a bowl.

I'd say SDSU is a shoe in. SMU is likely too. Colorado St. is the dark horse IMHO. UNLV is 4th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom