ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 247 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Just add Tulane as a 4th. Give me New Orleans for hoops or football every year.
I keep seeing people mention Tulane as a possible addition and it baffles me. Can someone explain this to me? Make it make sense! A relatively small private school that's a mediocre AAC football program that had a big season last year in a cool city, which is shrinking in population and literally sinking?

Major disagreement on what sports are involved between Auerbach and Silver.

I hope Silver is right.

In a perfect world, the Pac 12 would continue for all sports except football and basketball. Why not do this? Why not retain ancient rivalries, keep travel costs down and make it easier for fans to travel to way games?

It will require some cooperation from the ACC, B1G and B12 but it would be to everyone’s benefit.
Silver is pretty connected as a Cal alum but he obviously doesn't cover college athletics so who knows.

They're going to get into either the B1G or the SEC, and they probably already have a wink wink nod nod offer from one or both. They don't want to water down their voting power in the ACC, they want to exit at their first opportunity. They're only a little behind FSU and Clemson in the pecking order to get to a big boy conference.
I can’t help think of UNC etc in the BIG or the SEC and the lack of power unlike in the ACC that they will have. Money yes - but in the totem pole within those conferences the subservient role they will play. Lots of regional politics involved and who will be their allies within the conference? Every conference seems to have historic pecking orders, despite all the previous additions to the BIG and SEC , how many of the newbies have risen to the top? How many of the current programs at the top of these conferences will cede power and influence to the new additions? Like Bilas says , each university is in competition with their conference mates - how many strong conferences will add competing universities that they will support to rise to the top against themselves? I’ve stayed out of this crazy wild conference topic and am definitely not an expert on the subject but so much of it seems to defy common sense - at least in my mini mind,

Major disagreement on what sports are involved between Auerbach and Silver.

I hope Silver is right.

In a perfect world, the Pac 12 would continue for all sports except football and basketball. Why not do this? Why not retain ancient rivalries, keep travel costs down and make it easier for fans to travel to way games?

It will require some cooperation from the ACC, B1G and B12 but it would be to everyone’s benefit.
maybe multiple plans being offered: 1 plan for all sports and 1 for just revenue sports with OOC scheduling or a 3rd option start as just football and basketball and transition to all sports

maybe multiple plans being offered: 1 plan for all sports and 1 for just revenue sports with OOC scheduling or a 3rd option start as just football and basketball and transition to all sports
I think that’s the issues. If Calford doesn’t play ACC schools for Olympic sports. Who do they play.

Could be. The ACC could offer more money if the Calford and SMU do not need to bring their Olympic sports. Interesting that SMU is apparently back in the conversation. Again, would be surprised if the ACC added 3 football schools, which would give them an odd number. That is not ideal.

If a desperate school is also willing to forgo any revenue for 5-7 years, like SMU, I could see them adding a fourth school. Know any desperate schools?

I keep seeing people mention Tulane as a possible addition and it baffles me. Can someone explain this to me? Make it make sense! A relatively small private school that's a mediocre AAC football program that had a big season last year in a cool city, which is shrinking in population and literally sinking?
I think Upstate just wants a good excuse to excursion once a year to New Orleans.. Becuz New Orleans + live Cuse football/bball = one hell of a damn combo.

But he can tell you if im wrong or not…

I think that’s the issues. If Calford doesn’t play ACC schools for Olympic sports. Who do they play.
Could the ACC be talking with the B1G and B12 about keeping the Pac12 intact for all sports except football and basketball? That would be the way to go. Why not?

Could the ACC be talking with the B1G and B12 about keeping the Pac12 intact for all sports except football and basketball? That would be the way to go. Why not?
and have wsu and oregon state join MWC for football only?

I find it interesting that UVA is a yes and NIT State is a no.

NIT State is another of those school who think they’re a lot bigger that they are. They must believe they’re in play for the SEC.
NC state is tied to its older much more strong brother unc

I think every day things get wilder on here. I can’t even block you because I don’t want to miss this stuff.
B12 is 16 programs all of which are pretty much identical to Kansas State and Iowa State. (The mormon schools Arizona schools and Colorado are no different.) Arizona basketball and Kansas basketball are the only recognizable 'brands' nothing in FB.

Utah is probably the strongest FB program/brand he was right there in picking them as the top one.

They ditched the 2 academic first institutions with no fanbase which was a good move. Yes the ACC is on a different level entirely but Louisville plays in the ACC and academics are overrated.

I find it interesting that UVA is a yes and NIT State is a no.

NIT State is another of those school who think they’re a lot bigger that they are. They must believe they’re in play for the SEC.
You only want 2/3 Raleigh Durham triangle schools if you are a conference raiding the ACC. They all have their strengths but NC State is always going to be the one left out.
WCC.

I literally just want a reason to party in New Orleans.

LSU trip in 2017 was incredible. One of my favorite weekends ever.

trying to figure out the split of additional revenue should not really be that hard. Stan/Cal were originally getting 60-70 % of a tv revenue share, probably not including accn payout. I will use the 25 mil that was somewhere in this thread as the base value. lets say it was 70% or 17.5 mil, I am going to assume now its 50% max for Calford or 12.5 mil each, leaving 25 mil available to split among the 15 other members with ND getting a partial share, some will go to travel say 5mil, if it was all going to performance this deal would be done by now, so assuming some will go to each school and some will go to performance based. Id think 1 mil bump for each school and 5 mil to performance base could be doable just for those 2.

Adding SMU 's full share would add 25 mil to the pot and you could split it the same way, which would be 2 mil each( except ND) plus 10 mil travel money and 10 mil in performance based pay.

Last edited:

not sure if source is good but
Um, yeah, I think it is good that the ACC is making a move. Doing nothing means perceptions are we are sitting ducks waiting for FSU to get a deal, and I hate hearing about that daily on sports radio.

No idea whether it pays in $ or competition, but we do get the best men's swimming team in the country (CAL), presuming they come in all sports, so I am all for it.

Well if they add SMU at least it puts to bed the notion that a school needs to be good at sports to get a P4 invite. That’s encouraging for SU.

Meme Burn GIF

Yup. Also a reminder that Stanford is a premiere athletic university in every sport. They win the Director’s Cup nearly every year. They will dominate a lot of ACC sports and make it harder for other coaches. They should embrace the competitiveness but they’re foolishly admitting they can’t compete. Silly public comment to make, especially since non revenue sports don’t drive the decisions here.
They are bitter rivals. I seriously doubt Anson Dorrance is worried UNC won't be able to compete in women's soccer.

better numbers than expected, guessing ACCN money is included
Yeah, give everyone money to cover the extra travel plus a few extra million and then the rest goes to the incentive pot. If FSU wants the big check, they can earn it on the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom