ACC QB Numbers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC QB Numbers

How does one earn a ranking that is higher than Shrader’s 17 for 17 / 238 yds / 2 passing TDs / 1 rushing TD?

It’s a grade that uses many many metrics, not just atts/comps/yds. There’s about 20 metrics including the difficulty of the throw, drops, balls that should have been INT, passes under pressure, yds per attempt, passes while scrambling, ave time to throw, depth of target, big time throws, etc etc.

It’s a grade that uses many many metrics, not just atts/comps/yds. There’s about 20 metrics including the difficulty of the throw, drops, balls that should have been INT, passes under pressure, yds per attempt, passes while scrambling, ave time to throw, depth of target, big time throws, etc etc.
Oh…. It’s a metrics thing!
1B7C7B03-4F0B-4ECD-AAFF-03EABF60AB9A.jpeg

Shrader might be playing his way into NFL draft consideration down the road.

Especially if he puts together another year next season like this one. Why not? He's got the right height / size / athleticism / dual threat capabilities the NFL covets. If he continues to pass consistently, he'll garner consideration.
Wow… totally forgot hes got another year. Righteous

Shrader might be playing his way into NFL draft consideration down the road.

Especially if he puts together another year next season like this one. Why not? He's got the right height / size / athleticism / dual threat capabilities the NFL covets. If he continues to pass consistently, he'll garner consideration.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He still has a lot to prove against the upper echelon teams in the conference, and he didn't set the world on fire vs Purdue and Virginia.

Death, taxes, and FrancoPizza.
A dose of objectivity is tough, I know. He does not have an NFL arm and still has a lot to prove as a passer - pocket savvy, checking down, knowing when to throw and when not to hold the ball too long, etc. Just 2 weeks ago Milly was on his rant about his passing skills. Honestly I don't care what his draft stock is at this point. He's proven he's a leader and they just need to keep finding ways to win.

But it's amusing to be thinking about his NFL prospects because he torched the Solvay Bearcats.

A dose of objectivity is tough, I know. He does not have an NFL arm and still has a lot to prove as a passer - pocket savvy, checking down, knowing when to throw and when not to hold the ball too long, etc. Just 2 weeks ago Milly was on his rant about his passing skills. Honestly I don't care what his draft stock is at this point. He's proven he's a leader and they just need to keep finding ways to win.

But it's amusing to be thinking about his NFL prospects because he torched the Solvay Bearcats.

The sky must always be falling at Camillus Mall [where Franco Pizza was].

There is about 10% of your post that is accurate, and the rest is the usual garbage. "Objectivity" my arse.

3 of the 5 weeks he has been in the top 5 nationally and for the season he is 8th among P5 QBs.

Lol at self claimed objectivity from a perennial negative views only contrarian.

I love Shrader but he's not a NFL quarterback. Doesn't mean he can't be a great college player and lead this team to a high level bowl or ACC championship. In the world there are less than a 100 people on NFL rosters as quarterback's, and he doesn't have the natural abilities/skill

I love Shrader but he's not a NFL quarterback. Doesn't mean he can't be a great college player and lead this team to a high level bowl or ACC championship. In the world there are less than a 100 people on NFL rosters as quarterback's, and he doesn't have the natural abilities/skill

I'm not sure I've seen anyone claiming he is a sure fire NFL qb. The point was around getting attention and a shot at the league. There are a lot of QBs drafted or signed that aren't NFL qbs. Shraders growth as a passer with intermediate throws and reads along with improvements navigating the pocket plus his speed and size are some things that will garner attention if he keeps performing at a high level and doesn’t get turnover happy.

3 of the 5 weeks he has been in the top 5 nationally and for the season he is 8th among P5 QBs.
Nobody is disputing that he’s playing like a very good college QB. The topic was whether his current skills will be coveted by NFL teams. Pro defenses require throws into tight windows all over the field. Arm strength, mechanics can only be improved so much.

I’m more concerned that he’s not consistently finding the open receiver. Hopeful that vision and awareness can improve with more time and coaching in this system.

In any event I hope this post doesn’t age well and he’s tearing apart secondaries in the next few weeks.

I think GS has a higher ceiling than Dungey. He got a shot at a spot but obviously didn't stick. The current iteration of Shrader throws a better ball than Dungey. Neither had/have nice throwing mechanics. Shrader's pocket presence is much better and as of now the ball looks really nice coming out of his hand. He makes some throws that are NFL level throws but it comes down to consistency. If he continues to develop he has a chance to hold a clipboard and makes a few million ala Ryan Nassib. With that said if he take a jump next year similar to this years jump then he could work his way into the draft but he has to continue to develop.

Yea just no way at the qb position. No disrespect to GS but that’s a crazy take.

Grades are more than atts and comps. There’s about 20 metrics.

i get that... but did he hand the ball off incorrectly? he touched the ball 19 times.

he completed 17/17.
Ran for a 1 yard TD (max amount of yards)
Ran for 6 yards.

Did he throw to the wrong guy on a completion?

i get that... but did he hand the ball off incorrectly? he touched the ball 19 times.

he completed 17/17.
Ran for 6 yards.

Maybe the throws weren't considered as difficult as throws the other QBs were throwing. Maybe he was under less pressure. With all of the factors mentioned previously, it makes sense his grade wouldn't be as impressive, given the opponent.

Last edited:
Shrader is 22 years old. Would not be surprised if he declares.

he completed 17/17.
Ran for 6 yards.

Odd question - should 17/17 with 3 TDs and more yards be rated higher than 17/17 with fewer TDs and less yards? I’d say yes.

Nobody is disputing that he’s playing like a very good college QB. The topic was whether his current skills will be coveted by NFL teams. Pro defenses require throws into tight windows all over the field. Arm strength, mechanics can only be improved so much.

I’m more concerned that he’s not consistently finding the open receiver. Hopeful that vision and awareness can improve with more time and coaching in this system.

In any event I hope this post doesn’t age well and he’s tearing apart secondaries in the next few weeks.
My 2 cents - stating he’s a sure fire NFL QB is about as false as stating he doesn’t have any NFL skills. He’s somewhere in between.

That being said, unless his passing ability improves pretty significantly as the season progresses then we’ve seen this movie before, it was called Tim Tebow.

He still can be a very successful college QB either way and he’s a natural leader/gamer that I’m glad is our QB1.

Odd question - should 17/17 with 3 TDs and more yards be rated higher than 17/17 with fewer TDs and less yards? I’d say yes.

Not if one is an exhibition game and the other is against a top 40 opponent. Then maybe not.

I’m glad some of you gentlemen, in disguise here as NFL scouts, are able to dissect Garret Shrader’s play and future prospects to a T.

I prefer to give him this year and next to develop and then judge him or rather let the real NFL scouts grade him out.

It’s seems clear to me that he’s worked his butt off with Beck in the off season, spring ball and fall camp and has improved his accuracy and proficiency since last year. It will be interesting to see how he fares in the remainder of this year’s schedule.

I think we can all agree – he’s a leader and can play at this level well. I’m looking forward to seeing how his numbers look through a window just open on a crack at the end of the year. I hope he has success and if he does so will the team and so will we.

I think, if he improves and stays at the top nationally as we go further into this and next year, the eyes and ears of those scouts out there will be looking at him, not just Sean, and will suggest to him if he’s pro material or not.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom