ACC Tourney Moved to Greensboro | Syracusefan.com

ACC Tourney Moved to Greensboro

I am on record as not wanting the ACC tournament to ever be played in Greensboro. The smell of honeysuckle is not sufficient to convince me it is the place to be in March.
Why Greensboro? I would think you would want to have the tournament in a place with a lot of hotels, hotel rooms and a lot of experience handling big events during a pandemic. In short, anywhere but Greensboro.

I get that a handful of teams might be able to bus to Greensboro. But I believe a lot of ACC schools cannot fly there direct. Not sure there is any benefit here.

The only way this makes sense is if Greensboro is the only city that could make hotels available for all schools with no outsiders allowed to stay on the same floor/area as the teams. Now Greensboro is such an unattractive place to visit, it could be possible all their hotels are vacant and they can sell them as bubble like environments for the teams. But if this makes sense, it is only because Greensboro is so exceptionally unattractive to the rest of the world.

If this is what the ACC was thinking, good job.

Greensboro is always going to be in the rotation.
It’s where the ACC HQ is.

4 teams in NC. All close to Greensboro.

Since there isn’t going to be a crowd most likely why waste DC as the host.

The odds we actually have a real season are going down by the day.

Greensboro is always going to be in the rotation.
It’s where the ACC HQ is.

4 teams in NC. All close to Greensboro.

Since there isn’t going to be a crowd most likely why waste DC as the host.

The odds we actually have a real season are going down by the day.

I disagree with your last sentence but that arena has no conflicts and they've clearly hosted the event. If the NBA / NHL needs to move games around the usual suspects for the ACC tournament won't work.

I disagree with your last sentence but that arena has no conflicts and they've clearly hosted the event. If the NBA / NHL needs to move games around the usual suspects for the ACC tournament won't work.
We are going to see a lot of games cancelled this year.

The scheduling should have been done so that conferences didn’t play every body in the regular season.

Should have split the conferences in half and then played 2 games on a weekend.
Play a game Saturday and a game on Sunday.

Then a games Tuesday-Thursday.

Then Friday-Sunday.

So you don’t play half the conference but you get the requisite amount of games.
That way once you play one game you know the next day you are getting a second game.

This season is going to see a lot of cancelled games.

The scheduling should have been done so that conferences didn’t play every body in the regular season.

Then Friday-Sunday.

So you don’t play half the conference but you get the requisite amount of games.
That way once you play one game you know the next day you are getting a second game.

Not sure I follow...back to back games?

Not sure I follow...back to back games?
Yes you play 10 of 14 ACC teams for 20 conference games.

You play Duke at home on Saturday, then you play them on Sunday at home.

Then you go play at Virginia on Tuesday, at Virginia Wednesday.

Then at Virginia Tech Saturday, at Virginia Tech Sunday.

But playing 2 games series in one spot you are getting more games and aren’t risking cancellations due to the virus.

It would be like baseball. 2 games all season long.

Then Friday-Sunday.

I like that. I felt all along they would have to do it AAU style with weekend tournaments and a type of “bubble” to ensure you’re bringing in 100% covid free teams. But your suggestion is good too.

What they are doing doesn’t seem real promising.

I will never go back to Greensboro. Therefore, this season (during which I probably will go nowhere)... seems a good time to hold the ACCT there.

For those who wonder about this aversion to Greensboro, let me try to explain it.

The Greensboro Arena is located in a low-end strip mall. There is nothing around it. No decent restaurants, no decent shopping. There is zero public transportation.

During the tourney in 2014, the team stayed at an airport hotel... at an airport with no amenities and nothing around it. They may also have stayed there this year. I don't know because I didn't go.

Last edited:

But playing 2 games series in one spot you are getting more games and aren’t risking cancellations due to the virus.

Basically follow the path D3 schools do when they play. Liberty League has done it that way for a long time.

The Mountain West is doing something similar. Basically they are doing ten 2 game series with each game at the same location. For example, here is Wyoming's schedule. It makes as much sense as anything I have seen other conferences throw out there.

Dec 20 (Sun) TBA Home UNLV Laramie, WY (Arena-Auditorium)
Dec 22 (Tue) TBA Home UNLV Laramie, Wyo. (Arena-Auditorium)

Jan 2 (Sat) TBA Away Fresno State Fresno, CA

Jan 4 (Mon) TBA Away Fresno State Fresno, CA

Jan 11 (Mon) TBA Home Boise State University Laramie, WY (Arena-Auditorium)

Jan 13 (Wed) TBA Home Boise State University Laramie, Wyo. (Arena-Auditorium)

Jan 16 (Sat) TBA Away Air Force USAF Academy, CO

Jan 18 (Mon) TBA Away Air Force USAF Academy, CO

Jan 22 (Fri) TBA Home University of Nevada Laramie, Wyo. (Arena-Auditorium)

Jan 24 (Sun) TBA Home University of Nevada Laramie, Wyo. (Arena-Auditorium)

Jan 28 (Thu) TBA Away San Diego State University San Diego, CA

Jan 30 (Sat) TBA Away San Diego State University San Diego, CA

Feb 4 (Thu) TBA Home Colorado State University Laramie, WY (Arena-Auditorium)

Feb 6 (Sat) TBA Home Colorado State University Laramie, Wyo. (Arena-Auditorium)

Feb 11 (Thu) TBA Away Utah State University Logan, UT

Feb 13 (Sat) TBA Away Utah State University Logan, UT

Feb 17 (Wed) TBA Away University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM

Feb 19 (Fri) TBA Away University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM

Feb 25 (Thu) TBA Home San Jose State University Laramie, Wyo. (Arena-Auditorium)

Feb 27 (Sat) TBA Home San Jose State University Laramie, WY (Arena-Auditorium)

The Mountain West is doing something similar. Basically they are doing ten 2 game series with each game at the same location. For example, here is Wyoming's schedule. It makes as much sense as anything I have seen other conferences throw out there.

Dec 20 (Sun) TBA Home UNLV Laramie, WY (Arena-Auditorium)
Dec 22 (Tue) TBA Home UNLV Laramie, Wyo. (Arena-Auditorium)

Jan 2 (Sat) TBA Away Fresno State Fresno, CA

Jan 4 (Mon) TBA Away Fresno State Fresno, CA

Jan 11 (Mon) TBA Home Boise State University Laramie, WY (Arena-Auditorium)

Jan 13 (Wed) TBA Home Boise State University Laramie, Wyo. (Arena-Auditorium)

Jan 16 (Sat) TBA Away Air Force USAF Academy, CO

Jan 18 (Mon) TBA Away Air Force USAF Academy, CO

Jan 22 (Fri) TBA Home University of Nevada Laramie, Wyo. (Arena-Auditorium)

Jan 24 (Sun) TBA Home University of Nevada Laramie, Wyo. (Arena-Auditorium)

Jan 28 (Thu) TBA Away San Diego State University San Diego, CA

Jan 30 (Sat) TBA Away San Diego State University San Diego, CA

Feb 4 (Thu) TBA Home Colorado State University Laramie, WY (Arena-Auditorium)

Feb 6 (Sat) TBA Home Colorado State University Laramie, Wyo. (Arena-Auditorium)

Feb 11 (Thu) TBA Away Utah State University Logan, UT

Feb 13 (Sat) TBA Away Utah State University Logan, UT

Feb 17 (Wed) TBA Away University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM

Feb 19 (Fri) TBA Away University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM

Feb 25 (Thu) TBA Home San Jose State University Laramie, Wyo. (Arena-Auditorium)

Feb 27 (Sat) TBA Home San Jose State University Laramie, WY (Arena-Auditorium)
The thing I don’t get is that the ACC did an excellent job rolling out the schedule for football. The best of any of the P5 conferences. Why did they do such a crappy job scheduling for basketball?

What happened?

The thing I don’t get is that the ACC did an excellent job rolling out the schedule for football. The best of any of the P5 conferences. Why did they do such a crappy job scheduling for basketball?

What happened?

Carolina Mafia isn’t ready to give up the hope for a “normal” season.

I was in Greensboro this past Spring all set to go to the tourney when Covid made me realize I couldn’t do it. I think Greensboro is a very pretty little town but the stadium is in the middle of nowhere. NO atmosphere whatsoever.

I happened to go to the Duke/SU game at the Greensboro Coliseum in 1989. We had moved to Syracuse in 1984 and our Duke friend Mike called up my husband and told him he HAD to watch the kids and send me to Durham so we could go to the game together. Holy crap, a WHOLE WEEKEND on my own without the kids!!!

Mike is an insufferable Duke fan. I love him, but he is a Dukie through and through. The two teams were unbelievable. I think we had Derrick and Billy and Stevie. God knows who else. I think they had Christian Laettner, etc. We were #1 at the time, I think. (Remember those days?) Of course, the entire stadium was there to see Duke crush us. When Otto skipped onto the court, a spontaneous jeer of “STOOPID MASCOT! STUPID MASCOT!” erupted. And then the game was on. And what a game! Mike at one point was standing on the arms of the stadium seat. We won by two points.

Mike and I are still very good friends - he went to Kenya with us last year - but on the ride home from the game, it was borderline. :)

I said all along they should be doing mini bubbles.. 4 teams go some places.. play wed-fri-sun or thu-sat-mon. everyone plays 3 games.. rotate who gets to be home team a couple times and then hope.. do it take a week off and do it again.. 6 games every 4 weeks, less travel , league is on tv 6 nights a week, you take what you can get. 1 team get 3 home and others get 1 rd 2 neutral every other week.. 3 months 18 games and you are done and you build in a week to fix issues and kids get to stay on campus more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom