Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a flight out of Syracuse once I sat next to a guy who told me such a detailed story about getting screwed over as a contractor on a major upstate New York shopping center (I won't say which one) that I can't help but think it was true. It was pretty wild. Essentially, he was set up to fail on completing his work "on time" so he had to do it for basically free or get sued for breach of contract.
That was very common.

Yeah that was for his box and seats. No donations to anything else I heard.
I fail to see how this is a bad look. If anything it makes the university look greedy. And if they weren’t going to allow upstate shredding to bid on dome naming rights I’m not sure they have much of a leg to stand on here.

Last edited:
I fail to see how this is a bad look. If anything it makes the university look greedy. And if they weren’t going to allow upstate shredding to bid on dome naming rights I’m not sure they have much of a leg go stand on here.
No I agree. He shouldn’t be forced into donating to anything. They help him hostage and he called their bluff.

Blah blah blah show us something

^ Not directed at you, just the message
I like Brian and all these guys, and I feel for the box they are in. The way they covered this story today felt a lot like the first time post-Brent people were being extremely careful to not go too negative when talking about the University.

It's a tough way to work.

There were repeated assertions by some that this "wasnt that bad". It most certainly was bad. If you want to say "its really bad but not devastatingly bad", ok I guess we can have that discussion.

But the floor when it comes to badness is still VERY bad.

Last edited:
No I agree. He shouldn’t be forced into donating to anything. They help him hostage and he called their bluff.
I think it's the school that called his bluff. I think he was overpromising, and underdelivering and the school realized he was using their events as a platform to promote himself. Where else can you get 20,000 people to see you hanging out with Jimmy Fallon or Tom Brady around here?

I think it's the school that called his bluff. I think he was overpromising, and underdelivering and the school realized he was using their events as a platform to promote himself. Where else can you get 20,000 people to see you hanging out with Jimmy Fallon or Tom Brady around here?
Either way not a good look for anyone.

Bingo. I don’t recall hearing about him spend a dime on facilities or endowing scholarships. Which is his right. But it’s also meaningful.
This was always going to happen with NIL. The actual schools are going to see less money because said money is going to kids. Now we don’t get either. As I said I don’t agree with the way Weitsman operates, but if he‘s funding athletes stop the complaining. That goes for any other booster doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Blah blah blah show us something

^ Not directed at you, just the message
How can you believe anything on that station? It is state-run radio Moscow style. They canned Axe for being brutally honest (and correct by the way) with everything wrong with basketball. Now, they're telling us everything is fine when a deep pocketed NILer is told to hit the road. What a sham and embarrassment. May as well read SYR press releases from the athletic department as programming. Everything goes through the Cuse athletic department censor on the opposite side of the glass.

This was always going to happen with NIL. The actual schools are going to see less money because said money is going to kids. Now we don’t get either. As I said I don’t agree with the way Weitsman operates, but if he‘s funding athletes stop the complaining. That goes for any other booster doing the same thing.
From my understanding, the big schools are still requiring the same “donation” levels (while also getting more tv revenue) and “encouraging” donors to contribute to the NIL

From my understanding, the big schools are still requiring the same “donation” levels and “encouraging” donors to contribute to the NIL.
What does this even mean? How can you require donations for anything?

That’s what we do with basketball and preferred football seats and what Weitsman was going to get his preferred seats. I’m talking donations on top of that.
Yeah, I am understanding that most schools have a point system to prioritize which seats you get based on how much you donate (e.g. think of schools that sell out). In addition, you will also pay the donation amount included in the season ticket.

Now, in addition to all of that, the schools are “encouraging” you to contribute to the NIL collectives. however, It isn’t “mandatory” since it doesn’t count towards your priority

Small donations are great, and lots of them add up. But the NIL engine is driven by the big dogs. The major programs have many, Syracuse has few. And we now have one less having driven Weitsman away. It's a major problem and collecting coins in cans at stop lights on Erie Blvd ain't fixing it.

state media responds...

how much truth is there to what he is saying? I haven’t heard of that many NIL deals at Syracuse, especially outside of AW.

And I’m not asking a few donors who throw su athletes $5k for a billboard, car commercials, or whatever. For reference, I’ve heard a few schools already have collectives with $10M+ in funds. Per his comment above, in Syracuse even at $1M (outside of AW)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.