Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because one guy blabs about his, doesn’t mean other deals aren’t happening. This is the problem with the AW approach. Everyone viewed him as a savior. It’s not reality.
That was my honest question, what are those other deals and to what levels?

Speaking of that, I spent some time looking for details about his NIL deals. About a half hour, so not the most exhaustive research but the one thing that I saw over and over, was language about how he "was looking into" deals, and the deals "would be X when finished" but I didn't see much of anything about deals that actually were finished. Maybe I'll be able to find more later but I've been looking into raking my backyard for a week now.
He’s working on the basketball academy too.

yeah, not a good take. And, presumably, working in a man-to-man defense with defined box out responsibilities, he could be even better. Jesse was great his year. He had some issues with some of the big bodied competition this year, but 15 good pounds would go a lone way in rectifying that issue. I think he is going to have a big year, for whomever is lucky enough to land him.
Jesse is going to put 15 pounds of muscle on between now and November? He was great in the zone - I do think his rebounding numbers are inflated because we had nobody else who rebounded, and I do think he will have a tougher time playing man D. Where he lands will directly determine how big his year will be.

Jesse is going to put 15 pounds of muscle on between now and November? He was great in the zone - I do think his rebounding numbers are inflated because we had nobody else who rebounded, and I do think he will have a tougher time playing man D. Where he lands will directly determine how big his year will be.
Probably WVU. I don't see how he matches their style of play at all. If he thought JB was an a$$ he will have fun with Huggy bear.

I think it's the school that called his bluff. I think he was overpromising, and underdelivering and the school realized he was using their events as a platform to promote himself. Where else can you get 20,000 people to see you hanging out with Jimmy Fallon or Tom Brady around here?

Promoting himself? Who cares. Even if that was his sole intention, look at me look at me, he was also promoting the University even if by default. None of these stars are coming near Syracuse to watch crappy basketball. The NY Post even wrote articles about some of these visits. And lets not forget he hosted recruits, one of which committed. Just getting them in the Dome and sitting courtside is a win for this program right now. That kid from Cali was not visiting without Weitsman.

I don't care much about any of the backroom rumors and who said what etc, since no one knows jack sh anyways. But the headline is not a good look. The Chancellor should stick to academics and not running a billionaire athletic booster out of town. It sort of wreaks of Buzz' comment telling fans to get a life. What a joke, you don't see stuff like this happening at Kentucky or Georgia or Texas or Ohio State.

Promoting himself? Who cares. Even if that was his sole intention, look at me look at me, he was also promoting the University even if by default. None of these stars are coming near Syracuse to watch crappy basketball. The NY Post even wrote articles about some of these visits. And lets not forget he hosted recruits, one of which committed. Just getting them in the Dome and sitting courtside is a win for this program right now. That kid from Cali was not visiting without Weitsman.

I don't care much about any of the backroom rumors and who said what etc, since no one knows jack sh anyways. But the headline is not a good look. The Chancellor should stick to academics and not running a billionaire athletic booster out of town. It sort of wreaks of Buzz' comment telling fans to get a life. What a joke, you don't see stuff like this happening at Kentucky or Georgia or Texas or Ohio State.
This stuff happens at those schools. Actually, MUCH worse happens at those schools. But it’s not national news (neither is Weitsman) and SU fans don’t care about the bruised egos of Kentucky boosters.

And no one ran Weitsman off. He hopped in the Bugatti he posted about 16 times on Insta and drove himself away.

This stuff happens at those schools. Actually, MUCH worse happens at those schools. But it’s not national news (neither is Weitsman) and SU fans don’t care about the bruised egos of Kentucky boosters.
Yup. Look what's happening with Ruiz at Miami. Much worse than the Weitsman saga.

What a joke, you don't see stuff like this happening at Kentucky or Georgia or Texas or Ohio State.
Those schools are run by experienced AD’s that have proved they had the acumen to run a high level P5 job. We plucked our AD from Bristol and he was on nobody else’s radar, much like our current head basketball coach.

Are you sure about that? If we were on the 11 Warriors forums or Tiger Droppings as fans of those institutions, you'd probably learn a thing or two about what's happening behind the scenes. The average fan of SU doesn't know who or what an Adam Weitsman is.

Then that there is a problem. Not with Adam, but with how much in donations the school is receiving.

If one dude's box and seat "donation" put him second on the list, we have bigger problems to deal with
Yeah I don't understand that.

This was always going to happen with NIL. The actual schools are going to see less money because said money is going to kids. Now we don’t get either. As I said I don’t agree with the way Weitsman operates, but if he‘s funding athletes stop the complaining. That goes for any other booster doing the same thing.
Not complaining. Just noting.

There may be nothing to gain but there is something to be lost. The overall feeling of the fan base that we just can’t compete for the best recruits and keep our top players doesn’t bode well for future support. The university has an appearance problem right now.
This is something that we need to come to grips with. The football program's losing Chestnut and Carter last year should have been a big red flag. SU can't consistently compete with "factory" programs like LSU and OSU.

Has the NCAA promulgated any rules whatsoever on NIL? Short of that, what public statements have they made on the topic?

exactly which is why I'm out. Won't be renewing anything for the first time in my life. Can't compete? No, won't compete/won't try to compete is what I take out of all this.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? If we were on the 11 Warriors forums or Tiger Droppings as fans of those institutions, you'd probably learn a thing or two about what's happening behind the scenes. The average fan of SU doesn't know who or what an Adam Weitsman is.
Exactly. This board isn't exactly my go to source for happenings outside of CNY.

They made a ruling in the Cavinder Twins investigation with Miami and John Ruiz.
Actually, this article just popped up for me without looking. But it says the Miami penalties do not set a precedent. What kind of thing is that?

My prediction for the NIL era is that these first few years will be crazy, but then rich old guys will dump tons of cash, watch their team flame out without winning a national title and get out of the business. After that, it will be a more sane level of spending that is dominated by collectives rather than random mega-millionaires/billionaires promising to take care of schools out of the kindness of their hearts.

That’s what the Chancellor is doing. Sticking to academics. At least as much as possible

And no one ran Weitsman off. He hopped in the Bugatti he posted about 16 times on Insta and drove himself away.

Boosters getting run off for breaking rules doesn't appear to be what's going on here.

Who said anything about knowing who Weitsman is ?

My prediction for the NIL era is that these first few years will be crazy, but then rich old guys will dump tons of cash, watch their team flame out without winning a national title and get out of the business. After that, it will be a more sane level of spending that is dominated by collectives rather than random mega-millionaires/billionaires promising to take care of schools out of the kindness of their hearts.

I used to think this would play out like you outlined, but seeing how much money schools like A&M get from their boosters to be mediocre year after year...

I'm glad kids are getting money, that's a good thing, but the whole situation is going to destroy college sports unless the players unionize and salary caps are put in. But it is going to be fun seeing how much kids are paid to play on a team that finishes 10th in a SEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.