Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End

I’m very curious what GMac’s next move will be. I have to imagine Autry would be more receptive to in-game advice from him than JB was. Does he stay or go start his head coaching career somewhere else?
Feels like the timing is serendipitous with Hop’s situation. What are the odds that those two wind up somewhere together?

I really hope this works out. I've never been a fan of promoting within in the world of sports (with rare exception) and I'm afraid we are going to see what a bad Syracuse team really looks like in the next few years, and these last couple of years were not it.
I know you said "with rare exception" but don't forget, JB was an internal hire 47 years ago!

It's the top story on ESPN with this under the headline,

"Just hours after saying his future would be decided by the university, Jim Boeheim was officially replaced as Syracuse coach after 47 seasons by Adrian Autry."

Very sad ending.

I’m very curious what GMac’s next move will be. I have to imagine Autry would be more receptive to in-game advice from him than JB was. Does he stay or go start his head coaching career somewhere else?

I think that depends on what overture is made next by the new head coach.

If Autry makes him the associate HC, then he'd be crazy to leave. But I assume that job is being reserved for a grizzled veteran bench coach. If not, it should.

As someone who went to basketball games at Manley under coach Danforth, I’m a little misty right now. It was a great run. I had a fond “brush with greatness“ moment when I played basketball at Henninger and coach Boeheim and coach Fine would show up at the school gym after our summer league games with a couple of SU players like Chris Jerebko, Dale Shackelford, Danny Schayes, Marty Headd and I think Marty Byrnes was there once and I got an opportunity to play (get my ass kicked) against these guys while Coach Boeheim watched.
Anyway, that was a thrill for a 15, 16 year old and now the reins have been handed off to Red. As has been said, Red is the new Orange. I’m excited for him. Met him and Gerry Mac once at a practice and they were very accommodating and good ambassadors for the program. I really do think a new energy and creative wind will be blowing through the program and I hope it’s successful in filling the dome again. It will be interesting to see Coach Autry operating unfettered and self-directed. Sorry so long-winded and rambling I have some stirring memories of all the program’s milestones under Boeheim. I’ve waited 47 years to say all this. Carry on smartly everyone and Go Orange!

Wow...

Makes that press conference earlier today all the more weird.

Hope we don't come to regret not doing a national search.

That said, let's go #15!
My guess is we will see more of the same. Hope I am proven wrong.

The time for sadness about the end of Boeheim’s coaching career has long since passed, IMO. I’m happy more than anything else because this program won’t be dragged through the mud anymore.

Thanks for all that you did for this program, Jim. Minus the last five years.

EA5B7561-812D-4532-98B6-8DD588CF308B.png

I’m thinking Coach might need to unlock that account now :rolleyes:

Wow...

Makes that press conference earlier today all the more weird.

Hope we don't come to regret not doing a national search.

That said, let's go #15!

Not the time, I know, but Boeheim made it pretty clear in recent years that he wasn't going to walk away from this job in a dignified manner. It would have to be taken from him.

But those guys might say no and no one is taking the job today and giving us a jumpstart on the portal.

Also if next seasons terrible hire one of these dudes then. They aren’t going anywhere really. They get to replace the guy who replaced the guy.
And if they say no then you turn to Red. The perception wouldn’t have to be we got turned down by multiple coaches (which I doubt we would get turned down by all of our candidates btw) it would be we had a national search and decided staying in house was the way to go. There is literally no negative to having a national search. Naming Red the coach right away is a very limiting move to our program in my opinion.

Not the time, I know, but Boeheim made it pretty clear in recent years that he wasn't going to walk away from this job in a dignified manner. It would have to be taken from him.

That’s exactly what happened. How Boeheim-esque.

It’s a shame he couldn’t have announced it before the season to coincide with the 20 year NC celebration. But stubborn old JB.

c’est la vie.

My take - JB couldn't bring himself to walk away from the university he spent his whole life at. He always considered himself an employee of the school, not bigger than it, and it would always be up to the school to tell him it was time. The dude would coach until his body gave out if it was up to him.

Is he salty? Maybe. But none of us have ever devoted our entire life to one job, one place, one community so who are we to judge?

It'll fade. And over time, Jim will reflect, and he'll still be a big part of the university and the program that he built. We owe a lot to this man, and we should all be sad that he's no longer going to be manning the Syracuse sideline. Love you JAB! Go cuse, forever.

If he drops the zone and actually runs a competent O then fine, id feel better about it. Just have my concerns about any coach who's never been a HC.
That's how they all start, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom