AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

That MJF - Regal promo….good grief. MJF is so good.

“You still have a lot to prove.” This is why I Wade through all the crap. For gems like this.
Agreed on MJF. That was an overall good Dynamite. Hope Hangman is okay.

“You still have a lot to prove.” This is why I Wade through all the crap. For gems like this.

Regal also came back pretty strong as well. While MJF was speaking, I was thinking to myself they have just destroyed Regal as a "face" advisor to get MJF even more over. But Regal was able to come back strong to make Regal look fine, and also to further push along the future match.

Overall good promo and story telling.

Regal also came back pretty strong as well. While MJF was speaking, I was thinking to myself they have just destroyed Regal as a "face" advisor to get MJF even more over. But Regal was able to come back strong to make Regal look fine, and also to further push along the future match.

Overall good promo and story telling.
Agreed.

And maybe there will be a Regal turn and he’ll help MJF?

Got home from work the DVR was still recording from Yankees game so the TV was on TBS when I turned it on. I saw this promo out of happenstance and I didn't change the channel. I haven't watched AEW prior to this and only knew who Regal was from the WWF days. Shows you how good this segment was when a non fan had to watch it.

Samoa Joe successfully defending a title in the main event on a Wednesday night is why I rock with AEW over WWE.

No, AEW is not anywhere near perfect or as good as it could be. But…..Samoa Joe just tapped someone in the main event for the title. Appreciate it while it’s here. Joe is that dude.

Apparently everyone thinks this is Chris Jericho on the Masked Singer and now I can’t unhear it. What do you think?

Apparently everyone thinks this is Chris Jericho on the Masked Singer and now I can’t unhear it. What do you think?

Definitely! Lol. If the voice wasn’t enough, the adlibs are pure Jericho. And it just seems like something he’d do.

Going to the PPV on Saturday; not exactly sure what to expect. Should be pretty good?

was pretty good! Kinda slowed down in the middle of the show after the really hot start though

CALLED IT

Heading into the event I was expecting it as well, as were many podcasters out there. But you called it earlier right when the initial encounter happened - not sure if I did right away or not.

There was enough doubt from a few other scenarios to make it still work. That being said some of that doubt was as a result of a poorish build the last few weeks, after the electric MJF/Regal encounter about a month ago.

Glad to see they went this route. Going face with MJF where he mocks heels doesn't quite make sense.
Certainly fans pop when he comes out - they want to see him come out because they are entertained by him as the ultra heel character and enjoy being mocked by him.

Fans will pop more for this version than a face version. Even though they cheer because they are happy to see him work and talk, they still want to see him get his ass kicked as well.

Dynamite this Wednesday is in Chicago. Will be interesting to see what the crowd reaction for the Elite will be. I hope they don't duck the event because that would be chicken poop.

AEW has a number of good things going, but I have never fully been on board with the Young Bucks flipping and overly orchestrated matches. And it certainly doesn't help that I now listen to Cornette more frequently.

Punk deserved his fate from the media scrum alone. But the approach that AEW has taken is to present the Young Bucks as the "winners" which is just stupid. It was a bad situation, that was caused by insecurities by both Punk and the Bucks, and there was no winners here.

Seeing Colt Cabana come back a few weeks ago as a symbol that the Bucks and the Elite won, was a little rich for me.

Last edited:
Dynamite this Wednesday is in Chicago. Will be interesting to see what the crowd reaction for the Elite will be. I hope they don't duck the event because that would be chicken poop.

AEW has a number of good things going, but I have never fully been on board with the Young Bucks flipping and overly orchestrated matches. And it certainly doesn't help that I now listen to Cornette more frequently.

Punk deserved his fate from the media scrum alone. But the approach that AEW has taken is to present the Young Bucks as the "winners" and blameless which is just stupid. It was a bad situation, that was caused by insecurities by both Punk and the Bucks, and there was no winners here.

Seeing Colt Cabana come back a few weeks ago as a symbol that the Bucks and the Elite won, was a little rich for me.
I still like AEW because I can see Danielson wrestle, and see Jericho and Samoa Joe get pushed like the stars they have always been. And I’ve become a fan of some new people like Britt Baker, MJF, Darby, etc. But yeah, it’s got its issues. It really is like the new WCW for better and worse. It’s usually not boring. Lots of stuff happens - some of it great, some ok, some terrible. Sometimes things happen too quickly or don’t fully make sense.

But….it’s not boring.

I still like AEW because I can see Danielson wrestle, and see Jericho and Samoa Joe get pushed like the stars they have always been. And I’ve become a fan of some new people like Britt Baker, MJF, Darby, etc. But yeah, it’s got its issues. It really is like the new WCW for better and worse. It’s usually not boring. Lots of stuff happens - some of it great, some ok, some terrible. Sometimes things happen too quickly or don’t fully make sense.

But….it’s not boring.
Cornette hates the modern style--hates it. I loved Cornette and the Midnight Express. Was in Philly's Civic Center the night they won the belts from Tully and Arn (who were headed to, I think at the time, WWF.)

I love him on the Dark Side Of The Ring. But I think he's way off base about the more current acrobatic style. Better athletes yield advances in what can be done in the ring. Jim's becoming pretty much a 'Get off my lawn' guy now. Sure, AEW has issues. But match quality is rarely one of them.

What were your guys thoughts on the PPV as a whole? From the live perspective, it was a really hot start, 3 of the first 4 matches (sorry Jade) were really great. It did kind of drag a bit in the middle before the main. The people who watched it on TV seemed to be much higher on the show than I was. (Def thought it was very good, don't get me wrong). But maybe like a 7 out of 10, not a 9?

What were your guys thoughts on the PPV as a whole? From the live perspective, it was a really hot start, 3 of the first 4 matches (sorry Jade) were really great. It did kind of drag a bit in the middle before the main. The people who watched it on TV seemed to be much higher on the show than I was. (Def thought it was very good, don't get me wrong). But maybe like a 7 out of 10, not a 9?
Yeah, sounds right to me. The one key, though, was that they ended storylines and set up future storylines. Especially the MJF Era. So glad they didn't flip him babyface. They're also successfully building some stars in the women's division.

They need to elevate some of the younger male stars besides MJF, though. They've got several who have just been languishing.

I think they need to cut their PPV's back by about an hour, especially since they have very little filler between matches. Its almost impossible to not have a lull in the middle of card when its that long, and you start to look forward to the main.

They have had a few really good PPV's in the past that seemed to avoid that lull, but it was at a time that they had better storylines for more matches.

They should bring Wardlow back around to mess with MJF, maybe have Samoa interfere in some capacity.

Tie in some old feuds now that MJF has the strap.

The Action Andretti was good stuff.

Still concerned though if AEW will deliver anything out of it. Their common issue is to make a big deal out of a newcomer, and then that person just gets lost in the shuffle due to a bloated roster... then that person just comes back in random matches that might be good but have zero story.

That being said I have enjoyed the AEW product as of late. More continuity and stories throughout the shows recently, rather than a show filled with random matches of guys who just show up about once or twice a month.

Its not must see live product for me, but I will tend to get through the 2 hours without hitting the fast forward button. Will do other things while watching. Doesn't sound like much of an endorsement, but compared to how I consume WWE right now it certainly is.

AEW is probably much easier to criticize, nit pick, complain about stuff because they have much more stuff happening.