AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

Sounds like AEW will be adding a third TV show (AEW Collision) on Saturday nights from 8-10 on TNT starting this summer. Punk is rumored to be the star for this show (it could be there June 17th date in Chicago which would make even more sense for the debut). This way they get more TV time for more wrestlers while also separating some of the top talent.
'Some of the talent' would likely have to be separated from Punk as they won't work with him. But he has his supporters, including FTR, one of the best tag teams in the world. I suspect they'd also be one of the attractions for a Saturday show.

I really think they should just deep-six Rampage. They'll still have an extra hour of TV each week. I mean, how much more can Tony handle? The booking's already gotten sloppy.

Which reminds me--Tony has two of the greatest minds in pro rasslin' in Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega. I'd love to see Chris in particular given some booking opportunities. There's no reason he couldn't book ROH right now.

'Some of the talent' would likely have to be separated from Punk as they won't work with him. But he has his supporters, including FTR, one of the best tag teams in the world. I suspect they'd also be one of the attractions for a Saturday show.

I really think they should just deep-six Rampage. They'll still have an extra hour of TV each week. I mean, how much more can Tony handle? The booking's already gotten sloppy.

Which reminds me--Tony has two of the greatest minds in pro rasslin' in Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega. I'd love to see Chris in particular given some booking opportunities. There's no reason he couldn't book ROH right now.
Yeah, that's what I meant by separate some of the talent.

Agreed on the Rampage point. They tape it immediately after Dynamite anyway, so it always has the feel of just an extra hour of Dynamite (like a 3 hour Raw).

Right now this is what they will have if goes to plan...
Monday: AEW Dark Elevation (YouTube - pre-recorded)
Tuesday: AEW Dark (YouTube - pre-recorded)
Wednesday: AEW Dynamite (live on TBS)
Thursday: Ring of Honor (website - not sure if it is live or not)
Friday: AEW Rampage (pre-recorded on TNT)
Saturday: AEW Collision (expected to be on TNT)

I know Tony has some current and former talent in the back with him, but I agree that using Jericho/Omega would be a welcomed addition/change.

Yeah, that's what I meant by separate some of the talent.

Agreed on the Rampage point. They tape it immediately after Dynamite anyway, so it always has the feel of just an extra hour of Dynamite (like a 3 hour Raw).

Right now this is what they will have if goes to plan...
Monday: AEW Dark Elevation (YouTube - pre-recorded)
Tuesday: AEW Dark (YouTube - pre-recorded)
Wednesday: AEW Dynamite (live on TBS)
Thursday: Ring of Honor (website - not sure if it is live or not)
Friday: AEW Rampage (pre-recorded on TNT)
Saturday: AEW Collision (expected to be on TNT)

I know Tony has some current and former talent in the back with him, but I agree that using Jericho/Omega would be a welcomed addition/change.
Jericho could book a territory based entirely on all the characters he invented for himself.

Is CM Punk self-destructing yet again? He was originally on the poster and in the press release for today's announcement of AEW's new show 'Collision', which will air on Saturday nights from 8-10.

He was then removed from the announcement. Maybe it's a swerve, but who knows with that guy?

Is CM Punk self-destructing yet again? He was originally on the poster and in the press release for today's announcement of AEW's new show 'Collision', which will air on Saturday nights from 8-10.

He was then removed from the announcement. Maybe it's a swerve, but who knows with that guy?
He’s mid 40’s now, so he should probably consider that he might not have a ton of time left to make a lot of money in wrestling?

The controversies and absences have probably done more to keep his name hot than actually being on the shows wouldve the last 10 years……but at some point you probably wanna fully cash in on that before you’re too old to do so?

He’s mid 40’s now, so he should probably consider that he might not have a ton of time left to make a lot of money in wrestling?

The controversies and absences have probably done more to keep his name hot than actually being on the shows wouldve the last 10 years……but at some point you probably wanna fully cash in on that before you’re too old to do so?
We should know tonight. If nothing is announced about his status (keep in mind that he's supposed to be on 'Collision' because legal issues will keep him away from the Bucks and 'Dynamite'), then you've likely got yet another kerfluffle.

I think he's such a headache that they should just bench him until his contract expires.

They just said that Superstar Billy Graham passed away during the Dynamite broadcast.

They just said that Superstar Billy Graham passed away during the Dynamite broadcast.
He had more charisma than any pro rassler I can remember. He had this white Muhammad Ali shtick.

He was WWWF champ for eight months and it should have been longer. But Vince McMahon Sr. had already determined that Bob Backlund would be the long-term babyface champ.

Shoulda called an audible. No less an authority than Bruno Sammartino said so.

Graham had been in terrible health for quite some time. May he rest in peace.

He had more charisma than any pro rassler I can remember. He had this white Muhammad Ali shtick.

He was WWWF champ for eight months and it should have been longer. But Vince McMahon Sr. had already determined that Bob Backlund would be the long-term babyface champ.

Shoulda called an audible. No less an authority than Bruno Sammartino said so.

Graham had been in terrible health for quite some time. May he rest in peace.

I wasnt around for Backlund’s years long babyface reign, but from what I’ve seen he was absurdly boring….as he was when he returned to WWF in 92-93.

However, once he went heel he was an incredibly entertaining nut. My friends and I were all sneaking up and slapping the cross face chickenwing on each other at recess, and then staring at our hands in disbelief afterwards. That weird, spazzy walking lunge thing he did across the ring….lmao!!! Figures he got the title for like 8 days when he was actually great, and 5 years when he was boring.

OK, here's what Meltzer says. Apparently Punk insisted that his buddy Ace Steele, who was a key instigator in the locker room fight, be at all the shows. That is a non-negotiable for Tony (and probably the legal team), so it screwed up the big announcement.

They shoulda just fired him when they had a chance. This guy is a cancer.

I don't really trust much of what Meltzer says on this matter. I'll wait to see what happens in the end. He has been quite biased and trying to provoke drama recently.

He has his friends and everyone has personal goals / wants / agendas here.

This is not to say that CM Punk should not have been fired last year. But at this point there are a lot of big egos with agendas.

Last edited:
I think the split branding could work well with AEW. My biggest issue with AEW is there are just too many guys and they dont develop their persona properly for the more casual viewer has not immersed themselves heavily in wrestling outside of WWE and AEW.

There will always be action -- although too much chaos at times is counterproductive. But I think the brand split and cutting the roster will make shows perhaps a little more structured and built better.

I really haven't been watching much of AEW or WWE the past month.

I’ve been sucked back in the last few weeks after lightly following for awhile….feels like the shows have been pretty good to me? I think things are in a good place.

I still find this way more watchable than Raw or Smackdown, whenever I try to watch those.

I wish AEW had a better PPV system though. 4.99 for WWE PPVs compared to $40-50 for AEW? Cmon.

I’ve been sucked back in the last few weeks after lightly following for awhile….feels like the shows have been pretty good to me? I think things are in a good place.

I still find this way more watchable than Raw or Smackdown, whenever I try to watch those.

I wish AEW had a better PPV system though. 4.99 for WWE PPVs compared to $40-50 for AEW? Cmon.
Collision has started off well. I think if Collision was on Wednesday they'd be doing north of a million every week.

Gotta say it--Punk is a total cancer. Check this out from Wrestling Observer:

"Regarding questions about the C.M. Punk off-screen promo on Adam Page, this was not storyline or anything like that. Page was actually sent to Greensboro last night to do a pre-tape interview backstage for Wednesday's Dynamite show and when he got there was told that they would have to do it away from the Coliseum and not to go to the show. He wasn't booked to appear on Collision itself. This was not the Jim Ross interview with Kenny Omega that was taped, but not in Greensboro last night, for Wednesday which will announce the Omega match for All In. Punk got a mixed reaction during the show itself but when he ran down Page for no apparent reason he was booed heavily. After the clip that made its way on social media ended, while still in front of the fans, he said that he wanted to tell the fans he loved each and every single one of you, that we sold more tickets than the last time in the building and said it was cool that people made signs that read CM Skunk. As noted before, the Young Bucks and Punk do have an agreement to not say anything negative publicly about each other, but that does not include Page."

More:

"Meltzer addressed the backstage issues in AEW further on Wrestling Observer Radio, stating that similar situations involving Matt Hardy and Christopher Daniels have occurred as well. He also confirmed a report from Fightful Select that Ryan Nemeth has been sent home from shows recently too.

While not explicitly stated by Meltzer, the common denominator is CM Punk who has had his issues with Page and addressed the former AEW World Champion in an off-air promo Saturday that did nothing to quell matters between them as his comments were not part of any angle."

Nemeth and Punk's issues stem from Nemeth tweeting "Literally the softest man alive” following Punk's return promo where he mockingly apologized to fans of The Elite where he said, "I am sorry that the only people softer than you are the wrestlers you like." Nemeth has since deactivated his Twitter account."

Punk's pulled the same crap on Christopher Daniels and Matt Hardy who, not coincidentally, is the head of talent relations.

At some point, I think they've gotta pull the plug on this jerk.

Gotta say it--Punk is a total cancer. Check this out from Wrestling Observer:

"Regarding questions about the C.M. Punk off-screen promo on Adam Page, this was not storyline or anything like that. Page was actually sent to Greensboro last night to do a pre-tape interview backstage for Wednesday's Dynamite show and when he got there was told that they would have to do it away from the Coliseum and not to go to the show. He wasn't booked to appear on Collision itself. This was not the Jim Ross interview with Kenny Omega that was taped, but not in Greensboro last night, for Wednesday which will announce the Omega match for All In. Punk got a mixed reaction during the show itself but when he ran down Page for no apparent reason he was booed heavily. After the clip that made its way on social media ended, while still in front of the fans, he said that he wanted to tell the fans he loved each and every single one of you, that we sold more tickets than the last time in the building and said it was cool that people made signs that read CM Skunk. As noted before, the Young Bucks and Punk do have an agreement to not say anything negative publicly about each other, but that does not include Page."

More:

"Meltzer addressed the backstage issues in AEW further on Wrestling Observer Radio, stating that similar situations involving Matt Hardy and Christopher Daniels have occurred as well. He also confirmed a report from Fightful Select that Ryan Nemeth has been sent home from shows recently too.

While not explicitly stated by Meltzer, the common denominator is CM Punk who has had his issues with Page and addressed the former AEW World Champion in an off-air promo Saturday that did nothing to quell matters between them as his comments were not part of any angle."

Nemeth and Punk's issues stem from Nemeth tweeting "Literally the softest man alive” following Punk's return promo where he mockingly apologized to fans of The Elite where he said, "I am sorry that the only people softer than you are the wrestlers you like." Nemeth has since deactivated his Twitter account."

Punk's pulled the same crap on Christopher Daniels and Matt Hardy who, not coincidentally, is the head of talent relations.

At some point, I think they've gotta pull the plug on this jerk.
Khan totally lost control of the locker room. Sadly, the toxic atmosphere has ruined the show for me quite a bit. I rarely watch the show live and just check clips here and there on youtube or DVR. I'll prob get the All In show just to see the spectacle

Khan totally lost control of the locker room. Sadly, the toxic atmosphere has ruined the show for me quite a bit. I rarely watch the show live and just check clips here and there on youtube or DVR. I'll prob get the All In show just to see the spectacle
Tony handed Punk the keys to the car, and he wrecked it.

My take: The had no choice but to fire Punk. He dared them to. Can't imagine WWE bringing back that cancer.

As to what happens to Collision on Saturdays, the good news is that at least all the people who Punk couldn't/wouldn't work with and vice versa are now available for that show.

Man, he set out to make himself an a-hole, and he sure succeeded.

This was part of an interview back from Wrestlemania weekend...

AEW is sunk now

Perry should be gone as well

The Young Bucks taking their victory lap last night shows the ridiculousness of things behind the scenes there

Punk vented publicly because Tony didn't put his EVPs in check

Meanwhile his EVPs and their friends vented to dirt sheets and Tony behind the scenes

Completely miss managed and shows they have a dearth of leadership.

They just lost their top merch mover and ratings mover

Complete mess

AEW is sunk now

Perry should be gone as well

The Young Bucks taking their victory lap last night shows the ridiculousness of things behind the scenes there

Punk vented publicly because Tony didn't put his EVPs in check

Meanwhile his EVPs and their friends vented to dirt sheets and Tony behind the scenes

Completely miss managed and shows they have a dearth of leadership.

They just lost their top merch mover and ratings mover

Complete mess
He wasn't their top ratings mover. In fact, one reason why Punk was said to be PO'd is b/c the one Saturday when MJF and Adam Cole appeared on Collision, they blew away Punk's ratings.

Punk's issues were a key reason why AEW lost momentum.

At least, now all those who were exiled from Collision b/c of Punk's grudges can now again appear on the show.

In hindsight, they never should have hired him. Firing him was the right move and the only possible move.

He wasn't their top ratings mover. In fact, one reason why Punk was said to be PO'd is b/c the one Saturday when MJF and Adam Cole appeared on Collision, they blew away Punk's ratings.

Punk's issues were a key reason why AEW lost momentum.

At least, now all those who were exiled from Collision b/c of Punk's grudges can now again appear on the show.

In hindsight, they never should have hired him. Firing him was the right move and the only possible move.
You're nuts

His merch alone was a massive money maker

He brought publicity and was the reason why WBD was willing to do business with AEW with another program.

They do the breakdown for quarterly on Cornette and his segments are generally the highest viewed segments

I love MJF and think his stuff with Cole is great, and they do well, but who else is there to do well now?

CMFTR helped get BCG going and gave half the roster a place to get television time.

Dynamite is a joke and the segments with The Elite drive viewers away

Tony made his bed with his "Pillar" Perry who never should have been anointed as one, and with his EVPs who have no interest in doing business

The Saturday ratings have been on a steady decline except when MJF and Cole were on. Punk gave them an initial bump, and then it subsided.

The backstage incident was far worse than had been initially reported. Punk really did endanger Tony, other wrestlers, and backstage personnel. I don't know if you have a subscription to Wrestling Observer, but if you do, you might change your tune. WBD and their attorneys told Tony he had no choice.

Until then, 'You're nuts' will define your constructive criticism skills.