2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

Maybe officiating once a week isn't good enough. I think officials need training camp/practice like the players. In basketball and baseball umpires and officials work every night. When you work once a week you aren't as good.

The Bills pounded Brady last night, but he knows how to take hits. Besides his ACL year, the guy never gets hurt. There is definately a skill he has to taking a hit that other QB's don't have.

If the Bills are going to pay Sammy Watkins they need to be getting him the ball and not Chris Hogan.

I do think the Pats defense is better even this year. Butler is a better corner right now than Revis is.
Butler played Watkins really well but the Buffalo gameplan was atrocious. The Patriots gameplan was 2 high safeties, let McCoy get his and get to 3rd down and force Taylor to make plays.

Butler is probably a mid teens #1 CB. Not elite yet but definitely can play #1 WR pretty well. He could get better as he is only a 2nd year guy. I agree Revis is losing his elite athleticism he is smart enough though to make the Charles Woodson like adjustments.

Buffalo had no hurryup at all that last quarter.

Should have just forfeited a game they had a 0.00% chance to win to stay healthy as I said. Season is over if Taylor can't play next week.

Should have just forfeited a game they had a 0.00% chance to win to stay healthy as I said. Season is over if Taylor can't play next week.
Sucks that we had to play the Pats, in a basically meaningless game, and get Taylor banged up. For as bad as he is against NE, he's good against everyone else and we need that KC game. If we win that, we're probably going to the playoffs. Lose, and we have to start rooting for Pitt and KC to lose to teams they shouldn't be losing to.

Pereira must've missed Alsac's posts.
The hold that negated the int in the 1st Qtr was way more important though. Essentially a 6point penalty. Thanks for not showing a replay espn, even though you replay everything under the sun a dozen times over.

Pereira must've missed Alsac's posts.
The hold that negated the int in the 1st Qtr was way more important though. Essentially a 6point penalty. Thanks for not showing a replay espn, even though you replay everything under the sun a dozen times over.

They didn't show a replay of three critical calls - that one, the facemask flag they picked up and one other call that I can't remember.

I perused the PatsFans board. What a bunch of spoiled little b****es! Everyone crying that we cheap shotted Brady all night. There were ZERO cheap shots on Brady. None.

The Bills need to be two TDs better than that the Patriots at NE to win the game given all the inherent, institutional advantages afforded the $3.5B franchise, but with Greg Roman as OC they just don't have that.

The D played great, the O will have to put up points against the Chiefs

The officiating, as has been discussed over and over, was completely awful and once again completely one-sided. EVERY call with the exception of the McCoy TD went against the Bills (of course that was an obviously correct call so nothing they could do there). There were too many bad calls that influenced the game to name, but I'll try a couple:

The opening drive they throw THREE illegal contact flags on the Bills secondary, none of which were real and one of which overturned a 50 yard interception return. Ridiculous. They threw ZERO discretionary flags against the Patriots for 3.5 quarters until they woke up and discovered holding on the line and a PI. That's the standard MO, call no penalties against the Patriots to let them build their lead, then even out the numbers a bit once they're up two scores...happens every time.

There were ZERO illegal contact penalties thrown on the Bills the rest of the game, but THREE on the first series...tells me they were out to influence the first drive. Ridic

On the Patriots' quick snap TD, Scott Chandler ran out onto the field, far past the numbers, and then ran back to the sideline after the pass play but before the running play. According to NFL rules, since he ran out onto the field that far, he became a substituted player, even if he ran off. That means the Bills are allowed to also substitute and the Bills should have been allowed to recover to play defense, and the Patriots were not entitled to a quick snap. When Chandler runs onto the field the Bills rightly might think a formation or play is coming they need to match up against. This is either 1) another mistake by the officials or 2) an unsportsmanlike substitution violation (intent to deceive) that is clearly laid out in the rules that would be a 15 yard penalty if intentional. My call is that this was 1 and the refs handed the Patriots a TD.

Chris Hogan was interfered with on a long pass play, no call. The ball came, the defender never turned around, he contacted Hogan on the chest and arms, and the ball hit him in the helmet. Clear penalty. OR, if THAT'S NOT A PENALTY, I want to go back to the first game and over-turn the PI they called on the Bills on 3rd and long late that sealed the game. So absurd, ALL YEAR you hear "that's a penalty, didn't get his head around, they call that every time" but when it's the PATRIOTS, no call and the announcers say "good coverage". I mean can people not see whats going on here? Sheep

The inadvertant whistle...boy oh boy...first, they screwed up trying to protect the golden child...second, the whistle blew while the ball was in the air. The clear rule, as discussed broadly, is that if the whistle blows while the ball is in the air, it's down over and replay the down. This is clearly what happened...the Bills defender clearly stopped playing due to the whistle. AND this is a reviewable play. BUT, did they review it? Of course not, this is the Patriots for heavens' sake. No, instead they award the Patriots 15 yards for the catch and another 15 yards for another BS penalty. I checked, Patriots coaches were on the white all the time, no penalty there. And the game announcers, EVEN AFTER THEIR OFFICIAL FOR HIRE said the refs screwed up and it should have been a re-play, said the Patriots were screwed. I mean can people not see what's going on here? Sheep

There were many, many other examples, but I'll just stop there in the interest of time.

For the benefit of those unable to find it, I've pasted the specific rules which detail why the patriots quick snap was illegal...even the announcers noted how Chandler ran out onto the field, but they I guess were too biased or unknowledgable to point out that the Patriots should not have been able to snap the ball that quickly. Maybe they score anyway? All this adds up

(a) He must move onto the field of play or the end zone as far as the inside of the field numerals prior to the snap to be a legal substitution. If he does not, and is on the field of play or end zone at the time of a legal snap, he is an illegal substitute

DEFENSIVE MATCHUPS FOLLOWING SUBSTITUTIONS

Article 10If a substitution is made by the offense, the offense shall not be permitted to snap the ball until the defense has been permitted to respond with its substitutions. While in the process of a has been permitted to respond with its substitutions. While in the process of a substitution (or simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If, in the judgment of the officials, this occurs, the following procedure will apply:

(a) The Umpire will stand over the ball until the Referee deems that the defense has had a reasonable time to complete its substitutions.

(b) If a play takes place and a defensive foul for too many players on the field results, no penalties will be enforced, except for personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct, and the down will be replayed. At this time, the Referee will notify the head coach that any further use of this tactic will result in a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Note: The quick-snap rule does not apply after the two-minute warning of either half, or if there is not a substitution by the offensesubstitution (or simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If, in the judgment of the officials, this occurs, the following procedure will apply:

(a) The Umpire will stand over the ball until the Referee deems that the defense has had a reasonable time to complete its substitutions.

(b) If a play takes place and a defensive foul for too many players on the field results, no penalties will be enforced, except for personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct, and the down will be replayed. At this time, the Referee will notify the head coach that any further use of this tactic will result in a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Note: The quick-snap rule does not apply after the two-minute warning of either half, or if there is not a substitution by the offense.

(c) On a fourth-down punting situation, the Referee and the Umpire will not allow a quick snap that prevents the defense from having a reasonable time to complete its substitutions. This applies throughout the entire game

I perused the PatsFans board. What a bunch of spoiled little b****es! Everyone crying that we cheap shotted Brady all night. There were ZERO cheap shots on Brady. None.

The only one could be when Bradham hit him after the pick, but Brady was overly dramatic on it, as Bradham really didn't hit him all that hard.

Chris Hogan was interfered with on a long pass play, no call. The ball came, the defender never turned around, he contacted Hogan on the chest and arms, and the ball hit him in the helmet. Clear penalty. OR, if THAT'S NOT A PENALTY, I want to go back to the first game and over-turn the PI they called on the Bills on 3rd and long late that sealed the game. So absurd, ALL YEAR you hear "that's a penalty, didn't get his head around, they call that every time" but when it's the PATRIOTS, no call and the announcers say "good coverage". I mean can people not see whats going on here? Sheep

This is so true. I actually hate that those 'faceguarding' flags get thrown on underthrown balls when there's minimal contact often initiated by the WR (the Joe Flacco special) but it is called just about every time. Except...

BuffOrange said:
This is so true. I actually hate that those 'faceguarding' flags get thrown on underthrown balls when there's minimal contact often initiated by the WR (the Joe Flacco special) but it is called just about every time. Except...

This situation is ripe for some enterprising individual to create a video montage of all these plays over the course of a season.

Would really demonstrate how corrupt the league is.

You could probably find the same ref throwing a flag on that play 15 times but not this one occurrence, demonstrating clear bias.

You could probably find the announcer saying 24 times this season that you have to get your head around or it's an automatic penalty...except for THIS one play where it didn't happen but it's "good defense"

The whole institution from the front office to the officials to the broadcast partners are executing the scam of the century

The Bills need to be two TDs better than that the Patriots at NE to win the game given all the inherent, institutional advantages afforded the $3.5B franchise, but with Greg Roman as OC they just don't have that.

The D played great, the O will have to put up points against the Chiefs

The officiating, as has been discussed over and over, was completely awful and once again completely one-sided. EVERY call with the exception of the McCoy TD went against the Bills (of course that was an obviously correct call so nothing they could do there). There were too many bad calls that influenced the game to name, but I'll try a couple:

The opening drive they throw THREE illegal contact flags on the Bills secondary, none of which were real and one of which overturned a 50 yard interception return. Ridiculous. They threw ZERO discretionary flags against the Patriots for 3.5 quarters until they woke up and discovered holding on the line and a PI. That's the standard MO, call no penalties against the Patriots to let them build their lead, then even out the numbers a bit once they're up two scores...happens every time.

There were ZERO illegal contact penalties thrown on the Bills the rest of the game, but THREE on the first series...tells me they were out to influence the first drive. Ridic

On the Patriots' quick snap TD, Scott Chandler ran out onto the field, far past the numbers, and then ran back to the sideline after the pass play but before the running play. According to NFL rules, since he ran out onto the field that far, he became a substituted player, even if he ran off. That means the Bills are allowed to also substitute and the Bills should have been allowed to recover to play defense, and the Patriots were not entitled to a quick snap. When Chandler runs onto the field the Bills rightly might think a formation or play is coming they need to match up against. This is either 1) another mistake by the officials or 2) an unsportsmanlike substitution violation (intent to deceive) that is clearly laid out in the rules that would be a 15 yard penalty if intentional. My call is that this was 1 and the refs handed the Patriots a TD.

The inadvertant whistle...boy oh boy...first, they screwed up trying to protect the golden child...second, the whistle blew while the ball was in the air. The clear rule, as discussed broadly, is that if the whistle blows while the ball is in the air, it's down over and replay the down. This is clearly what happened...the Bills defender clearly stopped playing due to the whistle. AND this is a reviewable play. BUT, did they review it? Of course not, this is the Patriots for heavens' sake. No, instead they award the Patriots 15 yards for the catch and another 15 yards for another BS penalty. I checked, Patriots coaches were on the white all the time, no penalty there. And the game announcers, EVEN AFTER THEIR OFFICIAL FOR HIRE said the refs screwed up and it should have been a re-play, said the Patriots were screwed. I mean can people not see what's going on here? Sheep

There were many, many other examples, but I'll just stop there in the interest of time.

For the benefit of those unable to find it, I've pasted the specific rules which detail why the patriots quick snap was illegal...even the announcers noted how Chandler ran out onto the field, but they I guess were too biased or unknowledgable to point out that the Patriots should not have been able to snap the ball that quickly. Maybe they score anyway? All this adds up

(a) He must move onto the field of play or the end zone as far as the inside of the field numerals prior to the snap to be a legal substitution. If he does not, and is on the field of play or end zone at the time of a legal snap, he is an illegal substitute

DEFENSIVE MATCHUPS FOLLOWING SUBSTITUTIONS

Article 10If a substitution is made by the offense, the offense shall not be permitted to snap the ball until the defense has been permitted to respond with its substitutions. While in the process of a has been permitted to respond with its substitutions. While in the process of a substitution (or simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If, in the judgment of the officials, this occurs, the following procedure will apply:

Note: The quick-snap rule does not apply after the two-minute warning of either half, or if there is not a substitution by the offensesubstitution (or simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If, in the judgment of the officials, this occurs, the following procedure will apply:

Note: The quick-snap rule does not apply after the two-minute warning of either half, or if there is not a substitution by the offense.

(c) On a fourth-down punting situation, the Referee and the Umpire will not allow a quick snap that prevents the defense from having a reasonable time to complete its substitutions. This applies throughout the entire game
Please tell me who Lee Harvey Oswald was working for in 1963?
Who was in the grassy knoll?
Marcus Cannon was called for 3 penalties Including a hold on a 3rd and 5 conversion down the field.
On the opening drive Gilmore grabbed LaFell on that 3rd down. They never showed the replay on the Int but illegal contact was the call how do you know it wasn't the correct call.
You complain and complain about the refs. Bad calls were a plenty last night. Butler got a PI in the 4th. Instead blaming the refs you should blame your OC.

Please tell me who Lee Harvey Oswald was working for in 1963?
Who was in the grassy knoll?
Marcus Cannon was called for 3 penalties Including a hold on a 3rd and 5 conversion down the field.
On the opening drive Gilmore grabbed LaFell on that 3rd down. They never showed the replay on the Int but illegal contact was the call how do you know it wasn't the correct call.
You complain and complain about the refs. Bad calls were a plenty last night. Butler got a PI in the 4th. Instead blaming the refs you should blame your OC.
I'm blaming the OC and abundance of unforced mistakes we made but it's annoying when every discretionary flag called against Buffalo is never shown on replay, even a facemask in which they picked up the flag yet the one call that hurt the Pats was played over and over and over and over. Darby stopped playing at the whistle so let's not act like Amendola was going to score there. The play worked out because I think he would've gotten another 10-15 yards which y'all got anyway with the penalty on Rex.

I thought the refs were equally bad but I'd like networks to start showing more replays of Bills penalties because half the time, when they do, they're bs.

Alsacs said:
Please tell me who Lee Harvey Oswald was working for in 1963? Who was in the grassy knoll? Marcus Cannon was called for 3 penalties Including a hold on a 3rd and 5 conversion down the field. On the opening drive Gilmore grabbed LaFell on that 3rd down. They never showed the replay on the Int but illegal contact was the call how do you know it wasn't the correct call. You complain and complain about the refs. Bad calls were a plenty last night. Butler got a PI in the 4th. Instead blaming the refs you should blame your OC.

That was the only correct call on the drive

They mistakenly showed the "penalty" on the pick later in the broadcast by accident. Gronk breaks out, engages and pushed off and they flag Rambo (20). AND, they didn't throw a flag. My friend at the game...you know why the announcers and everyone was confused? There was only the one flag on the field. Talk about BS they created another flag in the huddle that's why the announcers were confused they thought just illegal formation

You did not dispute anything I said because there is no dispute

ALL the calls go one way here

longislandcuse said:
I'm blaming the OC and abundance of unforced mistakes we made but it's annoying when every discretionary flag called against Buffalo is never shown on replay, even a facemask in which they picked up the flag yet the one call that hurt the Pats was played over and over and over and over. Darby stopped playing at the whistle so let's not act like Amendola was going to score there. The play worked out because I think he would've gotten another 10-15 yards which y'all got anyway with the penalty on Rex. I thought the refs were equally bad but I'd like networks to start showing more replays of Bills penalties because half the time, when they do, they're bs.

There's a reason they don't show them

"Shut up and get out of the way, the clock is running moron." What. Why not just conference up and let the game clock run out.

"Shut up and get out of the way, the clock is running moron." What. Why not just conference up and let the game clock run out.
Not to mention reviewing the spot and not giving us time back. The officials single handedly wasted about 3-40 seconds of game clock just mulling around while Tyrod Taylor was fumbling through a 2 minute drive.

I'm blaming the OC and abundance of unforced mistakes we made but it's annoying when every discretionary flag called against Buffalo is never shown on replay, even a facemask in which they picked up the flag yet the one call that hurt the Pats was played over and over and over and over. Darby stopped playing at the whistle so let's not act like Amendola was going to score there. The play worked out because I think he would've gotten another 10-15 yards which y'all got anyway with the penalty on Rex.

I thought the refs were equally bad but I'd like networks to start showing more replays of Bills penalties because half the time, when they do, they're bs.
I didn't bring up Amendola play even though it was bad break for NE.
The Rex Ryan call was correct he was on the white before the whistle was blown ESPN showed that. The catch shouldn't have counted but the refs tried to fix a mistake.
The complaining about the White TD is just crazy. If the call offsetting penalties the Pats have the ball first and goal from 6. I fairly confident the pats score a TD there.
The refs didn't give the Pats calls all night. It was a poorly officiated game but not bias against buffalo and if you are honest you would admit that. Buffalo lost because their QB was poor and the play calling was bad. Watkins didn't get a single target till the 4th Q that is awful coaching.

longislandcuse said:
Not to mention reviewing the spot and not giving us time back. The officials single handedly wasted about 3-40 seconds of game clock just mulling around while Tyrod Taylor was fumbling through a 2 minute drive.

Yeah 1:22 is ingrained in my head

Like I said two TDs better to win

I didn't bring up Amendola play even though it was bad break for NE.
The Rex Ryan call was correct he was on the white before the whistle was blown ESPN showed that. The catch shouldn't have counted but the refs tried to fix a mistake.
The complaining about the White TD is just crazy. If the call offsetting penalties the Pats have the ball first and goal from 6. I fairly confident the pats score a TD there.
The refs didn't give the Pats calls all night. It was a poorly officiated game but not bias against buffalo and if you are honest you would admit that. Buffalo lost because their QB was poor and the play calling was bad. Watkins didn't get a single target till the 4th Q that is awful coaching.
I'm not complaining about any of that. I was agreeing with you mostly but pointing out some stuff that is annoying to watch week in/week out as a Buffalo fan.

Complaining about that is not crazy though as it's bush league Patriots stuff that they do and is controversial enough to be covered in the ESPN article about officiating last night and why are you confident they score a TD? Y'all got smacked around by Buffalo's defense all night aside from one drive before half when the defense was completely out of sorts due to the offense/special teams killing momentum.

Last edited:
I'm not complaining about any of that. I was agreeing with you mostly but pointing out some stuff that is annoying to watch week in/week out as a Buffalo fan.

Complaining about that is not crazy though as it's bush league Patriots stuff that they do and is controversial enough to be covered in the ESPN article about officiating last night. However, I think the right call was made... but why are you confident they score a TD? Y'all got smacked around by Buffalo's defense all night aside from one drive before half when the defense was completely out of sorts due to the offense/special teams killing momentum.
I got no problem with overall point. I will just say I am fairly confident that the Pats would have scored a TD from the 6 with 3 cracks.
We can to disagree as it is completely subjective. I will say while the Bills D was special last night they didn't 3 and out the Pats O that much. They did a great job in the middle of the field stopping drives.

I just don't see the refs favoring the Pats last night. If the Bills O is better they win but the Pats D had something to do with the struggling.

NE D is the #1 scoring D in the NFL by 1 point over Denver. They don't get the credit of other good Ds but that D has 5 1st round picks developing, and good CB developing.