After Thinking About it, Lester Has Shown Nothing | Syracusefan.com

After Thinking About it, Lester Has Shown Nothing

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
As many bad decisions as good ones. Not a reason to keep Shafer, if they are looking for one.

Lester is one of the few bright spots on this team. He's turned an abysmal offense into something positive. Not sure what more can be done with our personnel. And that's not a knock on them.

I think the answer is somewhere in between. I think we still have a hard time moving the ball if hunt didn't go down. I think the emergence of dungy is making Lester look that much better. Some of his calls are baffling. The 4th down wildcat call yesterday was a prime example. He ran the same play earlier. I have no problem running the wildcat but he needs to set that up better. Can't run up the middle every time. Everyone and their mother who watched the game knew it was going up the middle

syr02esq said:
Lester is one of the few bright spots on this team. He's turned an abysmal offense into something positive. Not sure what more can be done with our personnel. And that's not a knock on them.
111th in passing yards
116th in total yards

Can you imagine what it would be with hunt?

111th in passing yards
116th in total yards

Can you imagine what it would be with hunt?
Same as last year. Dungey really helped us with his feet. I really wish he would step up in the pocket a little more though

Like maybe throw the ball in the direction of Ishmael who is the best WR on the team more than 3 times per game, like maybe use the 6' 5" receivers we have, like maybe have a receiver run a crossing pattern more than 10 yards down the field, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

leftytg said:
any time you can devise a play where the running back is running a backward loop as he receives the handoff...well, that's just an uncommon kind of genius.
even better when it's a wide receiver doing it

any time you can devise a play where the running back is running a backward loop as he receives the handoff...well, that's just an uncommon kind of genius.
Those plays I can't understand at all. Sometimes it looks like a Chinese fire drill with all the backs meeting at the ab.

Those plays I can't understand at all. Sometimes it looks like a Chinese fire drill with all the backs meeting at the ab.
I agree. To me, it is evidence of not ready for prime time. The offense isn't well thought out. There are too many influences and trying to do too many things too many ways involving too many players. On one hand we say we're a tough, hard nosed, smash mouth team. On the other hand, we do all these JV looking motions, shifts, and misdirections designed to try to trick and confuse the other team (but seldom do). Stuff that might work at a lower level of ball with a lower level of athlete, but doesn't fly in a P5 conference.

I'm not saying Lester could never be an effective offensive coordinator, but he's not there yet.

I have to agree. Yes, the offense is more organized, but there is zero creativity in getting our talent the ball in space, not enough aggressive shots deepm and no feel for short yardage play calling whether it be on the 40 or in the red zone. I like him as i do shaf but again these guys are learning on the job before our eyes at the cost of loses and the 2015 season. Without ED's ability to ad lib we are probably last five in fbs in offense.

Also, the fact we dont have a short yardage package and packages utilizing custis' and enoicy's height is mind-boggling.

I laugh every time I see that play. Have we ever gotten better than 3 or 4 yards on it?

I have been one of the biggest critics of Scott Shafer. However, I got to defend him here. Lester has done a good job. I get the guy can improve even more but from last year which was absolutely pathetic to this year looking improved has to give credit to Lester.

Lester has shown he can run a college offense. Now he needs to increase the tempo but I don't blame him for that as defensive guru genius SS terrible D is why I think we are playing slow.

I will defend Lester though. If this D wasn't was bad the O would be good enough. Still I want SS gone as SU HC after this year.

OrangeinBoston said:
Like maybe throw the ball in the direction of Ishmael who is the best WR on the team more than 3 times per game, like maybe use the 6' 5" receivers we have, like maybe have a receiver run a crossing pattern more than 10 yards down the field, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Receivers have to get themselves open too. Ish didn't too much yesterday. Also, most passing routes have multiple options and the QB decides where to go with the ball. Maybe your complaint is with Dungey and not Lester? The 6'5 kids aren't as good as the ones playing.

I have been one of the biggest critics of Scott Shafer. However, I got to defend him here. Lester has done a good job. I get the guy can improve even more but from last year which was absolutely pathetic to this year looking improved has to give credit to Lester.

Lester has shown he can run a college offense. Now he needs to increase the tempo but I don't blame him for that as defensive guru genius SS terrible D is why I think we are playing slow.

I will defend Lester though. If this D wasn't was bad the O would be good enough. Still I want SS gone as SU HC after this year.

I think the more games we play our offensive numbers continue to slide. We are better than last year but it would be mathematically impossible not to be. There are many teams out there right now putting up a lot of points, in conference, with what I believe to be much less talent. We have at least one very very good WR, one of the best Freshman in the country at QB, and quite a few other very good players.

I still think we have the talent to be better. This offense to me keeps projecting downward. I think the games against UL, BC, and NCstate will tell us a lot about Lester.

I respect your thoughts and opinions Alsacs, so i ask this genuinely - do you feel ok with the process Shafer went through in handing the OC keys to Lester? Obviously McD was a total disaster hire, Shafer was getting heat, and it isn't an exaggeration to say that his future as head coach hinged on his next OC hire. Instead of looking for an experienced offensive mind with a track record of success at the D-1 level, he went with an internal hire of his buddy. Does the process that led to the selection and hire - with all that was at stake - of Lester sit well with you?

I think the more games we play our offensive numbers continue to slide. We are better than last year but it would be mathematically impossible not to be. There are many teams out there right now putting up a lot of points, in conference, with what I believe to be much less talent. We have at least one very very good WR, one of the best Freshman in the country at QB, and quite a few other very good players.

I still think we have the talent to be better. This offense to me keeps projecting downward. I think the games against UL, BC, and NCstate will tell us a lot about Lester.
Lester has improved though. I didn't think he could even do what we have done thus far. Now I think he is a little lucky because Dungey is a better passer than Hunt. I just think Lester has done enough to avoid scorn. Our offense has scored 21 points atleast in every game. It is respectable now which after last year seemed impossible.

I want a new HC though.

Receivers have to get themselves open too. Ish didn't too much yesterday. Also, most passing routes have multiple options and the QB decides where to go with the ball. Maybe your complaint is with Dungey and not Lester? The 6'5 kids aren't as good as the ones playing.
Why do you say these things definitively? According to who? The coaching staff?..because we've seen they certainly aren't deserving of a whole lot of trust. All I know is outside of Ish, nobody else can do anything. I've seen Custis snag a TD, that's about 10x more than I've seen anyone else do that's playing ahead of him. At least these dudes can catch jump balls. Instead we have JV players and running backs out there running routes.

Lester has improved though. I didn't think he could even do what we have done thus far. Now I think he is a little lucky because Dungey is a better passer than Hunt. I just think Lester has done enough to avoid scorn. Our offense has scored 21 points atleast in every game. It is respectable now which after last year seemed impossible.

I want a new HC though.
The offense only scored 14 against FSU.

As Millhouse is fond of (correctly) pointing out, Syracuse has scored a disproportionate number of points of defense/special teams/overtime that skew the unadjusted "offensive" numbers upwards. Just looking at points per game, as if it is the offense putting up all those points, is deceptive.

I respect your thoughts and opinions Alsacs, so i ask this genuinely - do you feel ok with the process Shafer went through in handing the OC keys to Lester? Obviously McD was a total disaster hire, Shafer was getting heat, and it isn't an exaggeration to say that his future as head coach hinged on his next OC hire. Instead of looking for an experienced offensive mind with a track record of success at the D-1 level, he went with an internal hire of his buddy. Does the process that led to the selection and hire - with all that was at stake - of Lester sit well with you?
I hated the process. He gave them the keys to the offense during the season last year.
SS hiring of McDonald was awful but demoting him during the season was beyond stupid.
I agree SS shouldn't have just given Lester the job after last year but Lester showed me I was wrong. This offense looks much improved. They need to play faster but I think they play slow because the D is so bad.
Our O looked solid vs. UVA, Pitt and we did okay in spurts against FSU.
I hated the fact SS just gave the keys to TL but Lester has cleared the bar for me. I still want a new HC though if we don't improve drastically these last 4 games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom