After Thinking About it, Lester Has Shown Nothing | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

After Thinking About it, Lester Has Shown Nothing

Actually I think points per play is the more important number. And the improvement there is impressive do you rememeber how many times we stalled in the redzone last year?
points actually scored by the offense per play might be useful but no one has any interest in that because they want to pretend like cordy, simmons, and winfields (and estimes punt return) happened on offense.

this is obvious and yet people are still arguing it.

also , ottoble, we are 85th in yards per play

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category10/sort02.html

Millhouse said:
points actually scored by the offense per play might be useful but no one has any interest in that because they want to pretend like cordy, simmons, and winfields (and estimes punt return) happened on offense. this is obvious and yet people are still arguing it. also , ottoble, we are 85th in yards per play http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category10/sort02.html

It's not that I don't get it. I do. The offense doesn't score as many points as the scoring offense stats suggest. But my point after the game (in a drunken stupor) was that if there is a gap between scoring and offensive production and it's not some crazy game where we had 5 defensive scores and a punt return that are making the numbers go out of whack- you have to say hey we are good at finding ways to score.

Offensive scores are by far the easiest way to score and Id prefer the scoring avg and offensive scoring avg to be close together. But if they are not, then something good is happening elsewhere (points are always good).

Or - I'd love to see it out of whack but with our offense scoring 30ppg and then throw in another 7-10 ppg in d and st.

It's not that I don't get it. I do. The offense doesn't score as many points as the scoring offense stats suggest. But my point after the game (in a drunken stupor) was that if there is a gap between scoring and offensive production and it's not some crazy game where we had 5 defensive scores and a punt return that are making the numbers go out of whack- you have to say hey we are good at finding ways to score.

Offensive scores are by far the easiest way to score and Id prefer the scoring avg and offensive scoring avg to be close together. But if they are not, then something good is happening elsewhere (points are always good).

Or - I'd love to see it out of whack but with our offense scoring 30ppg and then throw in another 7-10 ppg in d and st.
you can't depend on that stuff. it doesn't predict anything. if you keep shafer because you think he's good at scoring on defense or special teams, you're going to get let down.

Simple question Millhouse has our offense been more Gerg like or Marrone like this year? I ask because according to my eye test we have looked like a solid college offense. It just appears we are lead by people who don't get P5 college football or want to shorten games to make them closer and not worry about W/L.

Simple question Millhouse has our offense been more Gerg like or Marrone like this year? I ask because according to my eye test we have looked like a solid college offense. It just appears we are lead by people who don't get P5 college football or want to shorten games to make them closer and not worry about W/L.
trick question marrone's offense was often gergian

i think our offense looks pretty goofy and not like a solid college offense. solid college offenses decide who their running backs and WR are and run and throw to them accordingly

IMO, running backs running forward for handoffs good, WR running backwards for handoffs bad

but we all have our own ideas and tastes, i'm just showing the numbers to show that whatever it is, it ain't good

Lester hasn't been perfect but I just think after last year I gotta give him some credit. I want a new HC so anything that pushes Coyle that way is fine with me. I just need to be consistent for myself. Our offense should stop with stupid Hybrid unless its Strickland or somebody with speed. Putting Ben Lewis there is just D-3 coaching.

Millhouse said:
you can't depend on that stuff. it doesn't predict anything. if you keep shafer because you think he's good at scoring on defense or special teams, you're going to get let down.

I get that - but the point is - if there's a gap between the two that means it happens enough to be a good thing.

I wouldn't keep SS based on that - and I wouldn't try to fluff Lesters #'s based on that. But I do think ST and D coaches should get more credit than they do for those scores.

Normally rare things that happen enough to affect our scoring avg by that much = a good thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom