AJ Long medically disqualified due to multiple concussions..transferring | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

AJ Long medically disqualified due to multiple concussions..transferring

Maryland, Temple, Fordham, Colgate.

I have no idea what is legit info or not but I'm wondering how Maryland is in any position to inquire about AJ's status. They don't have a head coach. Seems like a critical component for being able to make a kid an offer at this point.

FWIW, Madei Williams put up a pro team AJ and anti team Shafer Instagram post this afternoon. I commented #IStandWithShafer and Madei must have deleted it. I don't know what to make of some of these kids. They say they want to be treated like men and coached like the pros but then you hear that coach didn't have a good enough dialogue with mommy and/or daddy? Things I'll never understand.

This is why I'll never refer to them as kids. They are adults whether they or we like it.

LOL. Well I could have posted your tweets from your vacation last week but that might have seem a little... voyeuristic.:oops:

Go to Shi Shi Beach. Just do it. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

image.jpeg

AJ is young and has potential in many avenues, playing football is probably no longer one of the avenues for this young man. I hope he has a little time to rethink everything and I hope HCSS & Co. work him into the program otherwise (assistant trainer, admin position,etc.) while he completes a world class education. If AJ cannot accept this, I wish him the best and I thank him for choosing to become Orange, even though it hasn't worked out as planned.

CuseLegacy said:

I call total BS on this.

So it's illegal for Shafer to tell AJ's parents the status of their son's injury in a private phone conversation, but it's okay for Shafer to go on his radio show and explain to the world that Denzel Ward's surgery discovered a deformity in his foot.

I call total BS on this.

So it's illegal for Shafer to tell AJ's parents the status of their son's injury in a private phone conversation, but it's okay for Shafer to go on his radio show and explain to the world that Denzel Ward's surgery discovered a deformity in his foot.
Maybe permission was involved...

[
I call total BS on this.

Once it is public domain, anyone can discuss it.

You mean AJ denied his parents access to his medical information? Cause that's the only way for it to be illegal.

tep624 said:
[ Once it is public domain, anyone can discuss it.
the foot deformity was public domain? Hippa experts would disagree.

You mean AJ denied his parents access to his medical information? Cause that's the only way for it to be illegal.
No. It just has to go through medical professionals/athletic trainers. The coach can't do it. That's a fact.

I work in college athletics just like Justin does. Our coaches aren't allowed to make those calls. Only our trainers and team doctor can.

Unless AJ fills out a waiver allowing access for administration to speak to his parents - they can't tell them anything.

That makes total sense...but there is a waiver process involved. Not unlike any document you sign upon receiving any medical treatment. They ask who this info can be shared with.

So there is an avenue that allows that discussion be had.

jekelish said:
No. It just has to go through medical professionals/athletic trainers. The coach can't do it. That's a fact. I work in college athletics just like Justin does. Our coaches aren't allowed to make those calls. Only our trainers and team doctor can.

Well, unless a waiver is signed, then the coach can have that discussion.

This story is weird. I thought everyone was on board with retiring and finding AJ a NF role? Now it sounds unilateral by SU.

Private institution protecting itself from liability down the road.

No. It just has to go through medical professionals/athletic trainers. The coach can't do it. That's a fact.

I work in college athletics just like Justin does. Our coaches aren't allowed to make those calls. Only our trainers and team doctor can.

Doesn't matter what the process is.

As the head coach of the program, Shafer needs to know he's going to be scrutinized - right or wrong - about everything.

He should have said "We wish him the best," and been done with it. It would have been a non-starter.

Being a head coach isn't just about recruiting and getting kids to play hard. You're the face of the program. He needs to realize this, and his failure to do so on any number of occasions isn't a good look and is one of the many reasons some of us think he's in over his head.

You all are nuts

Ace is a helicopter parent pushing his kid through his eyes to live his dream and vision

Nothing HCSS can do after medical dq's him

Ward and foot is not a hot button issue like concussions

AJ admitted hiding injury history

Wish him the best but dad is not putting kids best health in play here which is shame

Doesn't matter what the process is.

As the head coach of the program, Shafer needs to know he's going to be scrutinized - right or wrong - about everything.

He should have said "We wish him the best," and been done with it. It would have been a non-starter.

Being a head coach isn't just about recruiting and getting kids to play hard. You're the face of the program. He needs to realize this, and his failure to do so on any number of occasions isn't a good look and is one of the many reasons some of us think he's in over his head.
That has absolutely nothing to do with my point. I'm referring to the fact that it's being said he didn't call the Longs. I'm saying this is why he could not call them.

Oh, I don't doubt that Ace is a lunatic. I don't doubt the decision to rule AJ ineligible. I also don't have a problem with how Shafer handled it. He probably went through normal protocol to have doctors alert the parents.

I was just highly skeptical of the notion that it's "illegal" to have Shafer contact the kids parents. It's not, there's a waiver procedure that has to be followed, but there is a process.

Kind of an odd juxtaposition with Shafer practically describing a blow by blow account of Ward's surgery on his radio show tonight.

Oh, I don't doubt that Ace is a lunatic. I don't doubt the decision to rule AJ ineligible. I also don't have a problem with how Shafer handled it. He probably went through normal protocol to have doctors alert the parents.

I was just highly skeptical of the notion that it's "illegal" to have Shafer contact the kids parents. It's not, there's a waiver procedure that has to be followed, but there is a process.

Kind of an odd juxtaposition with Shafer practically describing a blow by blow account of Ward's surgery on his radio show tonight.
Not calling you out ... In fairness he mentioned AJ play by play thud injury and bed fall too

Edit- our 'special helmets' have not helped at all ... I would argue they have been more harmful

Not calling you out ... In fairness he mentioned AJ play by play thud injury and bed fall too

Edit- our 'special helmets' have not helped at all ... I would argue they have been more harmful
How do you know the 'special helmets' have not helped at all?