AJ Long medically disqualified due to multiple concussions..transferring | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

AJ Long medically disqualified due to multiple concussions..transferring

How do you know the 'special helmets' have not helped at all?
Look at our track record since using them

One of the only D1 programs using them .. How do other schools compare with UBI DQ?

Oh, I don't doubt that Ace is a lunatic. I don't doubt the decision to rule AJ ineligible. I also don't have a problem with how Shafer handled it. He probably went through normal protocol to have doctors alert the parents.

I was just highly skeptical of the notion that it's "illegal" to have Shafer contact the kids parents. It's not, there's a waiver procedure that has to be followed, but there is a process.

Kind of an odd juxtaposition with Shafer practically describing a blow by blow account of Ward's surgery on his radio show tonight.

HIPPA maybe? AJ is probably of voting age, and therefore an adult--so I'm not sure that the University can legally contact people about his medical conditions anymore, sans AJ's permission.

That has absolutely nothing to do with my point. I'm referring to the fact that it's being said he didn't call the Longs. I'm saying this is why he could not call them.

What he said at the press conference triggered Long's parents to tweet what they did. If he let the sleeping dog lie, it wouldn't have been an issue and everyone could have went about their business - including Shafer.

Doesn't matter what the process is about how he could have called Long's parents. It matters what he said publicly, which started the whole ball rolling.

One of the only D1 programs using them .. How do other schools compare with UBI DQ?
too many variables, it is impossible to consider that every program is following the same program, has the same set of protocols, and has equally qualified individuals to make the evaluations. it would take years of data before trends could even start to be considered. my position is, if kids are getting concussions they shouldn't be playing football. it would seem that it is really difficult to determine if a kid has a concussion or not, and especially at the college level I think you have to err on the side of caution. having said that, it is also clear that the people that work in college football are not exactly rocketship scientists and it is hard to trust anything they come up with. For instance, I would feel less bad if dungey were disqualified over concussions and were able to live a normal life after football than I would over a few extra wins and a kid that was f'ed up later in life.

SUFan44 said:
What he said at the press conference triggered Long's parents to tweet what they did. If he let the sleeping dog lie, it wouldn't have been an issue and everyone could have went about their business - including Shafer. Doesn't matter what the process is about how he could have called Long's parents. It matters what he said publicly, which started the whole ball rolling.

C'mon. What set off the kids Dad was that Shafer said he was concerned. If he has issue with that he could respond privately, like an adult.

HIPPA maybe? AJ is probably of voting age, and therefore an adult--so I'm not sure that the University can legally contact people about his medical conditions anymore, sans AJ's permission.
this is correct, unless the kid designates the parents as people that have access to his medical records, they don't if he is over 18.

C'mon. What set off the kids Dad was that Shafer said he was concerned. If he has issue with that he could respond privately, like an adult.
it could be that shafer shouldn't be saying anything about it. however, shafer simply saying that he is concerned about the kid is not in and of itself a violation. it could be that the concussions are only one issue, it is possible that the kid has another or more than one other psyche issues that have caused the staff to disqualify under the umbrella of concussions. we don't know what the kid has told the family and for all we know the staff is not allowed to share medical information with them.

Ah, anecdotal evidence. Got it. What exactly is 'our track record'?

What he said at the press conference triggered Long's parents to tweet what they did. If he let the sleeping dog lie, it wouldn't have been an issue and everyone could have went about their business - including Shafer.

Doesn't matter what the process is about how he could have called Long's parents. It matters what he said publicly, which started the whole ball rolling.

Are you serious. Man some of you guys want shafer gone so bad its ridiculous. Its gonna snow in a few weeks is that shafers fault also.

This reminds me of the way Doug Marrone used to handle similar situations. "We don't comment on players who are no longer in the program."

Are you serious. Man some of you guys want shafer gone so bad its ridiculous. Its gonna snow in a few weeks is that shafers fault also.

I'm just saying. I want him to succeed, but he gets in his own way a lot.

I'm just saying. I want him to succeed, but he gets in his own way a lot.

You're not wrong, a standard script response would probably have rendered this a non-story. But he was being real and compassionate. Those very same characteristics that make him good at recruiting.

Double edged deal.

This reminds me of the way Doug Marrone used to handle similar situations. "We don't comment on players who are no longer in the program."

Who people killed for doing so. Lets not forget.

Kid must have found the right doctor
dr-nick.gif

To be honest, that kid turned his back on SU and bashed the coaching staff and trainers. Yes, he found someone who would give him a good diagnosis so that other schools had something to fall back on. I think this is an awful scenario and I hope for his sake, that he doesn't worsen his condition.

Ugh.

CuseLegacy said:

He might be healthy enough to play now. But that's not what he was disqualified for. It was 3 concussions. So he's fine now, but......

Knock yourself out AJ, best of luck. You have the coolest Syracuse tattoo I've ever seen.