Am I the only one not nearly as psyched about the Tournament with SU not in it? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Am I the only one not nearly as psyched about the Tournament with SU not in it?

September 3
Next time I will have butterflies in the stomach due to sporting event. ( Maybe a little for Mexico/US qualifier coming up)

For the next 3 weeks, CBS will bust our balls about not making the tournament.

Once the Masters starts, this will all be forgotten.

By June, people won't even remember who made the Final Four.

I'll watch some of the early rounds because I enjoy rooting for the underdogs, but honestly, as it pertains to the pure game of basketball, I'm not a huge fan of college basketball, generally.

I am a huge NBA fan and am stoked for the lead up to the playoffs and the playoffs there.

I'd rather watch that Mavs/Celtics game from yesterday rather than the conference title games that were on.

Give me Luka v Tatum all day long.

Sports from noon to 6 on a Thursday or Friday is worth watching, even if badminton. It beats paying attention at work. Besides those times I will only watch if at a bar or the end of close games that I happen to be home for. In other words I have no plans to watch, but could watch by stumbling into a game.

It's not just that SU isn't in the tournament, college basketball is a ghost of what it once was. There is little continuity from year to year. I can't think of one player who I am interested in watching, or one team I particularly care about.

I didn't watch the selection show and haven't looked at a bracket. I'll likely watch a game or two but only because it's hard to avoid.

It's not just that SU isn't in the tournament, college basketball is a ghost of what it once was. There is little continuity from year to year. I can't think of one player who I am interested in watching, or one team I particularly care about.

I didn't watch the selection show and haven't looked at a bracket. I'll likely watch a game or two but only because it's hard to avoid.
At the very least there could be 68 candidates for a potential head coaching opening that Cuse fans should be lookin at.

well i can still enjoy the ESPN college corn hole championships without Syracuse having a dog in the race. i'll sit on the edge of my chair like an airmailed 6x6 sack filled with corn (or resin for the cheaters) teetering on the cusp of that elusive cornhole chasm waiting for that bump that sends me home to victory...
the basketball tourney meh...i'll watch the final 4 and root for the underdogs.

Last edited:
Personally, I generally only watch Syracuse games, and this year, I took a break from that the latter half of this year, only watching after they were over and I knew the outcome. It did wonders for my blood pressure.
Once SU is out of the tourney, I don't really care about the rest of the games. Don't watch and only just glance at the brackets to see if any top seeds or teams I hate (e.g., Duke, UConn, UNC, ND) get knocked out

I'll still watch a good deal of it, but not nearly as invested in this year as I normally am.

I wonder if some of the people pining to see SU play meaningless CBI games with a group of players who will not be returning are also among those who have no interest in watching meaningful NCAAT games?

I love the tourney. I take the Thursday and Friday off from work for last 30 years. And I will this year. I eat and drink my way through 12 hours of basketball a day. Its wonderful.

But yeah, for sure my, enthusiasm gets muted when cuse isnt in the mix. That always really ups the enjoyment level big time. But I still think its the greatest 4 days in sports.

Nope, no interest. Didn't even fill out a bracket. First time in many, many years. Renewed my season football tickets and waiting for next season.

I'll watch some of the early rounds because I enjoy rooting for the underdogs, but honestly, as it pertains to the pure game of basketball, I'm not a huge fan of college basketball, generally.

I am a huge NBA fan and am stoked for the lead up to the playoffs and the playoffs there.

I'd rather watch that Mavs/Celtics game from yesterday rather than the conference title games that were on.

Give me Luka v Tatum all day long.
People don’t follow nba teams they follow individual players. Might as well be in a bathroom stall waiting in line to service those “stars”. Not my thing. College for me has always been and always will be Syracuse. No allegiance to any one student-athlete, no allegiance to the coach. Just the school.

People don’t follow nba teams they follow individual players. Might as well be in a bathroom stall waiting in line to service those “stars”. Not my thing. College for me has always been and always will be Syracuse. No allegiance to any one student-athlete, no allegiance to the coach. Just the school.
How is it that people who don't follow the NBA have so much insight about what goes on there?

How is it that people who don't follow the NBA have so much much insight about what goes on there?

KD and Kyrie had 50+ point games on back to back games for Brooklyn, KAT had 60 the other night, the league has never been so stacked, defenses have never been more complex, but let's watch another 19 year old kid fail miserably at setting a screen while another takes a poorly-formed set shot from a step inside the three point arc.

BTW, I'd much rather have the stars of the NBA be the focus versus the coaches in college.

Also, GO KNICKS!

Opening Day of NCAA's has been one of my favorite days of the year for the past 45 years. St Patricks Day is also one of my favorite days. The times they have been the same have been among the best days ever. Of course I'll watch. There is nothing like watching potential huge upsets going down to the wire at the same time. I am a fan of 4 different schools SU, Ohio (my school), UC (wife and son's school and city lived in for 34 years) and Vanderbilt (son works in AD). I'm 0-fer this year. Also have not filled out a bracket yet (I will). First time that I did not have blank bracket sheets I filled out live as they were announced and had my first bracket(s) completed within an hour or so. And yes, I know that the full bracket has been available to print online as soon as announced for many many years but I've always made my own. So have my 2 sons. None of us did this year. So to your question...absolutely. It's a gut punch. And I've seen it coming like a haymaker for several weeks. But that doesn't help.

What little solace it is at least I know that neither Thursday or Friday will end up being among my worst NCAA days ever. Those days ended in Western Kentucky, Penn, Navy, Rhode Island, Richmond, Vermont.

So again...yes I'll watch. And I'll be cheering for every 12-16 seed in the tournament to take down a supposed giant. LGO!

no juggling the work schedule this year. guess that's good news for fake grandma #8.

Watching the Indiana vs Wyoming game, really depressed me. Both those teams were really average to poor, and we were far worse, almost all year-- just brutal. I honestly don't care about most random teams, and certainly won't be glued to the games as if SU had made it into the dance. That said, if there are some big upsets coming down to the wire, I'll always root for chaos, and blue bloods to lose.

Just wondering

Probably won't watch at all.
I haven't watched a single college basketball start-to-finish that didn't involve Syracuse in probably 5 years now.

Watching the Indiana vs Wyoming game, really depressed me. Both those teams were really average to poor, and we were far worse, almost all year-- just brutal. I honestly don't care about most random teams, and certainly won't be glued to the games as if SU had made it into the dance. That said, if there are some big upsets coming down to the wire, I'll always root for chaos, and blue bloods to lose.

I've started enjoying the NBA again - at least a fair amount - just because of the level of play. Guys make shots. They can practically all dribble and pass the ball. Seems like far fewer really biased officiating crews, too, which is probably one of the worst problems facing NCAA hoops right now - biased officials and calling the game differently for different teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom