Class of 2017 - An Early Look at the Best Players in the Class of 2017 for New York State | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 An Early Look at the Best Players in the Class of 2017 for New York State

His name is not there. I relied greatly on the all region teams for the different areas of NYS to compile this list.

Missed CJ's name on the AGR team. My bad. He has been added.
yup, CJ has a Old Dominion and Albany offer. Many FCS schools said they will offer soon.

That Lewinson kid is something else for a HS freshman. Our staff definitely needs to show early interest to get him thinking Orange if he does blow up.

No, I am a long time proponent of high school football in New York. This is something I have been doing for years to try and give the NYS kids a little publicity and love.

I hope it might help in some small way help a player or two get interest from colleges.

While a handful of players will always get scholarships from P5 programs,I am convinced NYS is under appreciated and under recruited and a lot of solid prospects end up playing at a level below where they belong. Or playing another sport in college.

Will put up a 2018 article this weekend.

I'm with you but if you consider how the staff treated the 2016 Top NY Prospects, then you have to seriously doubt they will do any different. D Babers press conference statement that the top recruits from NY were committed to other schools was a deception. Most of the players he recruited from other states were already committed to other schools, but that did not stop him from going after those players. So at this point, I have NO CONFIDENCE in his NY recruiting focus!

Jake Zimbec - No 1 QB - signed with PITT
Jamir Jones =Top Recurit - signed with ND
Taysir Mack - Top WR -signed with Rutgers
Ernst Edwards- No 1 WR - signed with UMAINE (committed to UB)
Joshua Mack - No 1 RB - signed with UMAINE (committed to UTEP)
Taylor Riggins - Top LB -signed with UMASS (committed to SU)

T Riggins, J Mack, and E Edwards all attended SU camp last summer and did extremely well. They also had great career resumes in the top section in the State (Section V). But all were encouraged to attend other programs by the Baber Staff! These athletes also have a huge fan bases and parental support that would have followed them to SU!

Let's face it. This is about "Football Cultural Conditioning!" These coaches have been conditioned to believe that NYS athletes are inferior...period. If you look at the play makers signed by SU, and their competition, the math does not add up to extremely impressive to the point were we should bypass top NY athletes who excelled at the same position! But, unfortunately, this is the culture! Scott S. realized this mistake and was trying to change this before being let go. The team was unsuccessful past 2 season with mostly out of state players. Robert Washington was an example of an out of state player who caused a lot of controversy within his staff, and ended up not even being academically eligible to play at the D1 level. I hope SU is not duped again!

The first thing Dino talked about at the recruiting briefing was the issue of taking no recruits from NYS or NJ. He said when the staff was at BG, they didn't recruit NY and they had little or no knowledge or interaction with kids from these areas.

He said you can't jump in at the last minute and expect to take a 4 or 5 star kid you have no history with and he said when it comes to 3 star recruits, he and his staff were really uncomfortable taking kids that they were not familiar with. He said with 3 star recruits, the key to a good evaluation is seeing them a number of times, seeing how they react to coaching and adversity in camps, seeing how they improve over time, getting a feel for their character and work ethic, etc.

He promised things will be different with the class of 2017. He implored the audience to not rush to judgement, to keep an open mind. He knows this is a big deal with a lot of people.

I am going to take his advice and keep an open mind. I hope he keeps an open mind too, regarding this topic!

I'm with you but if you consider how the staff treated the 2016 Top NY Prospects, then you have to seriously doubt they will do any different. D Babers press conference statement that the top recruits from NY were committed to other schools was a deception. Most of the players he recruited from other states were already committed to other schools, but that did not stop him from going after those players. So at this point, I have NO CONFIDENCE in his NY recruiting focus!

T Riggins, J Mack, and E Edwards all attended SU camp last summer and did extremely well. They also had great career resumes in the top section in the State (Section V). But all were encouraged to attend other programs by the Baber Staff! These athletes also have a huge fan bases and parental support that would have followed them to SU!

Let's face it. This is about "Football Cultural Conditioning!" These coaches have been conditioned to believe that NYS athletes are inferior...period. If you look at the play makers signed by SU, and their competition, the math does not add up to extremely impressive to the point were we should bypass top NY athletes who excelled at the same position! But, unfortunately, this is the culture! Scott S. realized this mistake and was trying to change this before being let go. The team was unsuccessful past 2 season with mostly out of state players. Robert Washington was an example of an out of state player who caused a lot of controversy within his staff, and ended up not even being academically eligible to play at the D1 level. I hope SU is not duped again!

I am going to step in an set the record straight on one thing... Robert Washington. Roberts issues had nothing to do with not qualifying academically. Because of a change in schools he was not able to graduate early. He has qualified and has signed an LOI with UNC-Charlotte which is a D1 program. His issues had to do with family.. not academics.

Josh I admire and share the same passion for NYS and its prospects as much as you. I also know its a little more personal to you because of your son. I wanted Josh at SU too. I was disapointed there wasnt atleast 1 NYS kid signed to SU in 2016 but I dont think its fair to judge Dino just yet. That man is feeding his family based on what players he bring in. Players he can trust, players he's evaluated for a long time and had a relationship with. They might have been committed to other schools but they were kids the staff have recruited, had in camp before. Those were the kids he signed. In 2017 he is off to a fast start in NY recruiting. Lets see what happens now. We have talent in this state and should have NY kids hopping on board every year for those very reasons you mentioned, but we cant win consistently in the ACC with just NY kids. We have to bring in kids from Fla, Ohio, PA, NJ, DMV to fill the roster with quality players and depth. Thats what every team does. Bama doesnt just have players from their state. Oregon, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Minnesota and Washington are good programs who recruit mostly all of their players from out of state. Thats because of their lack of consistent in state talent. We can talk about how much we love NYS players but every year we have one of the lowest amounts of top prospects per capita. That's not a opinion, its a fact.

Last edited:

Or, Dino had no current relationships and didn't think that the kids would fit his system based on the limited tape of them he had. Just because a kid is #1 in the state doesn't mean he's a D1 athlete.

Who cares they attended an SU camp last summer, the coaches that are here now weren't there. I think everyone on this board has been very respectful to you/your son and is understanding of the situation you're in.

Good luck to Josh but you're beating a dead horse at this point, since we have quite a few NY prospects attending on 2/20 and 2/27 and will probably have even more for junior day and our summer camps.

I believe Dino. You don't come in with 8 weeks until NSD, clear out virtually the entire class of your predecessor and then try and fill that class in an area you don't know well. There is a reason we hit Florida and the Midwest hard to finish the 2016 class: the staff knows those areas. Toss in a bit of PA and DMV too.. They are being aggressive with the top NY 2017 kids which is great. Like Money said, however, we also need to continue to hit Florida, the DMV, the Midwest, PA etc to really be successful. I think this staff can do what Marrone and Shafer weren't able to do which is keep a few NY studs at home instead of them going to Penn State, Pitt etc

The first thing Dino talked about at the recruiting briefing was the issue of taking no recruits from NYS or NJ. He said when the staff was at BG, they didn't recruit NY and they had little or no knowledge or interaction with kids from these areas.

He said you can't jump in at the last minute and expect to take a 4 or 5 star kid you have no history with and he said when it comes to 3 star recruits, he and his staff were really uncomfortable taking kids that they were not familiar with. He said with 3 star recruits, the key to a good evaluation is seeing them a number of times, seeing how they react to coaching and adversity in camps, seeing how they improve over time, getting a feel for their character and work ethic, etc.

He promised things will be different with the class of 2017. He implored the audience to not rush to judgement, to keep an open mind. He knows this is a big deal with a lot of people.

I am going to take his advice and keep an open mind. I hope he keeps an open mind too, regarding this topic!

Any dirt you can share from the booster recruiting meeting?

CuseLegacy said:
You missed it. Tom dished on everything in the chat on NLI night.

Me too. Was putting the kids to bed :(.

Priorities :).

Or, Dino had no current relationships and didn't think that the kids would fit his system based on the limited tape of them he had. Just because a kid is #1 in the state doesn't mean he's a D1 athlete.

Who cares they attended an SU camp last summer, the coaches that are here now weren't there. I think everyone on this board has been very respectful to you/your son and is understanding of the situation you're in.

Good luck to Josh but you're beating a dead horse at this point, since we have quite a few NY prospects attending on 2/20 and 2/27 and will probably have even more for junior day and our summer camps.

Yea, the 3 kids who attended our camps weren't exactly recognized and being woo-ed away by other P5 schools let alone other FBS schools. To this observer it seems that Dino doesn't care where you come from so long as you fit his system and plan. Sure, a Ben Lewis type might emerge from a camp or a Wayne Morgan might be a contributor being ranked #1 in NYS but for every Ben Lewis and Wayne Morgan there are a bunch of Steve Renes, Alvin Cornelius, John Kinders, etc, etc. etc. No disrespect meant to anyone. A kid from my high school who was all NYS first team signed with New Hampshire. Would I have loved to see him in Orange? You bet. But I'm sure his HS coach (and father) has a better handle on his abilities and potential at the next level then we do just cause he's considered the best in NYS.

Josh I admire and share the same passion for NYS and its prospects as much as you. I also know its a little more personal to you because of your son. I wanted Josh at SU too. I was disapointed there wasnt atleast 1 NYS kid signed to SU in 2016 but I dont think its fair to judge Dino just yet. That man is feeding his family based on what players he bring in. Players he can trust, players he's evaluated for a long time and had a relationship with. They might have been committed to other schools but they were kids the staff have recruited, had in camp before. Those were the kids he signed. In 2017 he is off to a fast start in NY recruiting. Lets see what happens now. We have talent in this state and should have NY kids hopping on board every year for those very reasons you mentioned, but we cant win consistently in the ACC with just NY kids. We have to bring in kids from Fla, Ohio, PA, NJ, DMV to fill the roster with quality players and depth. Thats what every team does. Bama doesnt just have players from their state. Oregon, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Minnesota and Washington are good programs who recruit mostly all of their players from out of state. Thats because of their lack of consistent in state talent. We can talk about how much we love NYS players but every year we have one of the lowest amounts of top prospects per capita. That's not a opinion, its a fact.

Did you ever ask why? Their is no genetic inferiority to NYS athletes. The saturation of great players may not be as large, but regardless of the numbers, we must make every effort to keep the good ones in state. Remember, my son never wanted to attend SU. That's not the point. That was my short-term desire being a nys teacher, coach and SU fan. That was also the desire of a number of SU fans. I discovered this thread late last season and joined in the conversation. I believe that the perception of NYS athletes must change. And it can only be displayed in recruiting efforts. Quite honestly speaking, I have a hard time finding many good athletes in this area that express an interest in attending SU. That's because the culture has not been established! The same goes for basketball. One major disappointment for me was the way the SU staff treated Taylor Riggins (AQ). If its about winning consistently, then pursue those players from NY who are persistent winners! Regardless of how anyone responds, their was room for 3-4 top players from NY. But to simply bypass all NY for hopefuls from other states is not showing promise. I have also evaluated the talent recruited on the offensive side of the ball and see no great gap in talent. NY is so obsessed with the notion of the superiority of southern & mid-west athletes until many have moved their families out of NY towards the south and mid-west so that their athletes can be better recruited. In fact, I had been asked to let my son move with a relative in Florida to increase his recruitment status. I chose not to do so. Its a myth that many have chosen to take advantage of. Take a poll on the number of families from NY who have moved their children to Georgia, North Carolina, and Florida and you will be blown away. Another friend of mine moved her son from Rochester to Orlando, FL his junior year. The kid is 5'6'', 175 lbs who was getting NO looks from SU. The kid is an excellent athlete and landed a D1 scholarship out of Orlando. I just had another move her son to Savannah, Georgia. I'm curious to see where he will land his big scholarship, probably SU! IT'S ALL A GAME FOLKS!

Once again, I'm in no situation!. This is not about me and my son...this is about SU and NYS! Coaches come and coaches go, but the memories left behind for the institution lasts forever. I just hope that these "new prospects" are not just window dressing and given serious opportunities at SU. This is a major institution and NYS student athletes who show promise, deserve an opportunity to attend and play for the program. So stop bringing my son into the conversation. I have been a teacher in NYS for 26 years and a coach for 15. Iv'e seen how it has played out. I speak for ALL the Upstate NY athletes who don't get a look from SU and certainly deserve it. Where is your loyalty?

Josh Mack said:
Once again, I'm in no situation!. This is not about me and my son...this is about SU and NYS! Coaches come and coaches go, but the memories left behind for the institution lasts forever. I just hope that these "new prospects" are not just window dressing and given serious opportunities at SU. This is a major institution and NYS student athletes who show promise, deserve an opportunity to attend and play for the program. So stop bringing my son into the conversation. I have been a teacher in NYS for 26 years and a coach for 15. Iv'e seen how it has played out. I speak for ALL the Upstate NY athletes who don't get a look from SU and certainly deserve it. Where is your loyalty?

I continue to be amazed that there is this thought that "coaches come and go" and that Syracuse has some sort of institutional bias against NY kids.

Coaches are responsible for recruiting. Babers has been here for one shortened period and focused on kids he knew.

Extend Babers the open mind and fresh start that you hope NY kids will get with the new staff.

NYS produces a lot of D-1 BASKETBALL AND LACROSSE players that cuts into the overall numbers football players who would rather play those sports in college.This year at my kids school some kids decided to quit football and play soccer their Sr. year. Kids in NYS are not as committed to football as kids are in other states. There is not much we can do about it in reality unless you want the parents to restrict the kids choices in after school activities.
I would bet if you take all three of these sports and look up the overall D-1 scholarships that are giving out each year New York would rank very,very high over lot's of other states.Kids in Lacrosse are committing to D-1 schools now as freshman and Soph. that football becomes their second choice from that point on.

Did you ever ask why? Their is no genetic inferiority to NYS athletes. The saturation of great players may not be as large, but regardless of the numbers, we must make every effort to keep the good ones in state. Remember, my son never wanted to attend SU. That's not the point. That was my short-term desire being a nys teacher, coach and SU fan. That was also the desire of a number of SU fans. I discovered this thread late last season and joined in the conversation. I believe that the perception of NYS athletes must change. And it can only be displayed in recruiting efforts. Quite honestly speaking, I have a hard time finding many good athletes in this area that express an interest in attending SU. That's because the culture has not been established! The same goes for basketball. One major disappointment for me was the way the SU staff treated Taylor Riggins (AQ). If its about winning consistently, then pursue those players from NY who are persistent winners! Regardless of how anyone responds, their was room for 3-4 top players from NY. But to simply bypass all NY for hopefuls from other states is not showing promise. I have also evaluated the talent recruited on the offensive side of the ball and see no great gap in talent. NY is so obsessed with the notion of the superiority of southern & mid-west athletes until many have moved their families out of NY towards the south and mid-west so that their athletes can be better recruited. In fact, I had been asked to let my son move with a relative in Florida to increase his recruitment status. I chose not to do so. Its a myth that many have chosen to take advantage of. Take a poll on the number of families from NY who have moved their children to Georgia, North Carolina, and Florida and you will be blown away. Another friend of mine moved her son from Rochester to Orlando, FL his junior year. The kid is 5'6'', 175 lbs who was getting NO looks from SU. The kid is an excellent athlete and landed a D1 scholarship out of Orlando. I just had another move her son to Savannah, Georgia. I'm curious to see where he will land his big scholarship, probably SU! IT'S ALL A GAME FOLKS!
schools might not pursue a NY kid because of the level competition he plays in but if your good your good. They will find you. This day in age with social media, camps, combines, 7v7 competition, its very hard to get over looked. There is too much mention of SU. Its not only them that are over looking NY kids, its UB and the rest of the country. Why is that? How can we improve the quality of NY football? We need a commitment from the state to increase resources, increase the amount of games, allow spring ball, pay coaches more, allow more assistants, more coaches clinics that allows successful coaches from around the country to share their knowledge. Thats a start. Again, lets give Dino a chance here before we judge. If they start winning it will change kids opinions very fast.

Last edited:
schools might not pursue a NY kid because of the level competition he plays in but if your good your good. They will find you. This day in age with social media, camps, combines, 7v7 competition, its very hard to get over looked. There is too much mention of SU. Its not only them that are over looking NY kids, its UB and the rest of the country. Why is that? How can we improve the quality of NY football? We need a commitment from the state to increase resources, increase the amount of games, allow spring ball, pay coaches more, allow more assistants, more coaches clinics that allows successful coaches from around the country to share their knowledge. Thats a start. Again, lets give Dino a chance here before we judge. If they start winning it will chance kids opinions very fast.

Just read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Kids from down south are getting the reps to be really good and near game ready coming out of high school. NYS kids, not so much. Not saying it couldn't happen but it require a lot of organization and resources.

So basically there were 3 p5 level recruits in state last year? We weren't flipping the top 2, and T.Mack doesn't fit our system.

I'm confused because Edwards and Mack didn't even sign to play FBS football. Why should Syracuse offer them if 128 FBS teams passed on them? Because they are from New York? I would love to keep NY kids home, but those kids also need to be able to play at this level, state be damned. I'm not sure Syracuse can afford the Rene's or Kobena's of the world anymore to be brutally honest. If we are going to get better, we have to get better players on this roster, regardless of hometown.

Syracuse shouldn't be offering a number of mid-major level recruits just because they're from New York state. SU is an ACC program that must compete annually with the likes of Florida State and Clemson.

SU always offers the few stud recruits that come out of the state, but unfortunately they usually choose to go elsewhere. That's what Babers and his staff needs to change.

Babers needs to land the NYS recruits with offers from Notre Dame and Penn State. Not take in the NYS recruits whose only offers are from Maine and Colgate.

Just read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Kids from down south are getting the reps to be really good and near game ready coming out of high school. NYS kids, not so much. Not saying it couldn't happen but it require a lot of organization and resources.
Exactly. This a big reason why NY kids are getting passed up. Its not because of the lack of recruiting efforts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom