And now, on to Tampa ... | Syracusefan.com

And now, on to Tampa ...

Cowtown

Sesquipedalia verba
What an epic series. Anaheim was so committed to physical play they seemed to lose focus from time to time, especially after the first 3 games. They gave up a lot more goals after that point. They kept chasing the man and gave up the counter attack way more often than they should have. This next series with Tampa should be more of a skater series, a welcome relief after the insane physical way Anaheim played. To be frank, I think they wore themselves down more than they did the 'Hawks. And Duncan Keith was nothing short of fantastic, I can't remember seeing a player influence a series the way he did this one.

Go 'Hawks :)

I still can't believe my Rangers lost that series, I will go with Chicago in 6, I think you guys have a lot more scoring options than we did.

image.jpg

I still can't believe my Rangers lost that series, I will go with Chicago in 6, I think you guys have a lot more scoring options than we did.

I was hoping for an "original 6 series," myself :)

So was Gary Bettman.

No doubt. It would have been the best of both worlds, an "Original 6" match which would have caught the Canadian imagination, with both teams-US based - and even one on the east coast.

Give me some reasons to want to root for the Blackhawks.

Give me some reasons to want to root for the Blackhawks.

1. ) see above :)
2.) Jonathan Toews is the best team leader in the NHL.
3.) Duncan Keith is the best defenceman in hockey.
4.) Patrick Kane has the greatest skill set in the NHL (honorable mention to Pavel Datsyuk)
5.) Depth and experience. There are still seven players remaining with rings from 2010.
6.) Best top 4 D's in the NHL (Keith, Seabrook, Oduya, Hjalmerson)
7.) Joel Quenneville is 3rd all time in wins as an NHL head coach.
8.) Great team focus. There isn't a single "Me first" guy on the team.

Did the 'Hawks "steal" one on Tampa? Well maybe. Consider, analysts/announcers like Jeremy Roenick and Barry Melrose were claiming afterward that Tampa outplayed Chicago for over 50 minutes. But the record reflects Tampa went a cumulative total of over 40 minutes without a shot, including an 8 minute stretch in the 2nd with none at all. How did this escape them? It's simple. They really thought Tampa would win game one with high energy, and got surprised, because it wasn't Chicago's stars that did the damage. Chicago won this game the same way they beat Anaheim: nobody quits, they all just keep playing. Sounds simple, but completely true. After the middle of the first period, Chicago mostly controlled the middle of the ice. And that's critical because it's important to understand you don't score much from along the boards. Tampa is playing tactically, Chicago is playing strategically. They also have better depth. The first two lines cancelled each other out, more or less, and the plumbers on the 'Hawks' third and fourth lines scored the goals, outplaying their counterparts. It wasn't a particularly exciting win, but very methodical and workmanlike. On to game 2.

Did the 'Hawks "steal" one on Tampa? Well maybe. Consider, analysts/announcers like Jeremy Roenick and Barry Melrose were claiming afterward that Tampa outplayed Chicago for over 50 minutes. But the record reflects Tampa went a cumulative total of over 40 minutes without a shot, including an 8 minute stretch in the 2nd with none at all. How did this escape them? It's simple. They really thought Tampa would win game one with high energy, and got surprised, because it wasn't Chicago's stars that did the damage. Chicago won this game the same way they beat Anaheim: nobody quits, they all just keep playing. Sounds simple, but completely true. After the middle of the first period, Chicago mostly controlled the middle of the ice. And that's critical because it's important to understand you don't score much from along the boards. Tampa is playing tactically, Chicago is playing strategically. They also have better depth. The first two lines cancelled each other out, more or less, and the plumbers on the 'Hawks' third and fourth lines scored the goals, outplaying their counterparts. It wasn't a particularly exciting win, but very methodical and workmanlike. On to game 2.
You missed your calling.

Hawks are just too deep. It seems to me the only thing that can hurt them is their D. It looked to me as though they were playing just 4 D men most of the game. Can they sustain that? How many minutes can Duncan Keith play? If I was Tampa, I would be pounding Keith every chance I get. If he gets hurt, they have a chance.

Keith's TOI numbers have always been high. He was over 50 in the 3 OT win over Anaheim. He's just a freak that way. If Chicago wins this, he's my choice for the Smythe.

Keith's TOI numbers have always been high. He was over 50 in the 3 OT win over Anaheim. He's just a freak that way. If Chicago wins this, he's my choice for the Smythe.
Can't argue with that

Holy Freaking Cripes, what a finish! Geez, that last 5 minutes was wild. I think I gulped hard at least three times thinking TB had tied it. The shot from Stammer that went off Seabrook's stick was unexplainable except to just say "That's hockey." Like Chicago missing two wide open nets during period one of Game 3. Now, the 'Hawks have been down 1-2 in each of the 2010 and 2013 finals and still came back to win it all. And right on cue, tonight, Crawford redeems himself and his team's lack of ability to finish. Can they continue? No one knows. You can rationalize it either way and say it's statistically inevitable they can't, or based on their record they can. Tough call, but I can say Tampa skates better than either Philly or Boston in those years, so that's a potential game breaker. Still, the worst that can happen is that Chicago comes home for game 6. Again.

Nevertheless, it all makes for great beer drinking fare! :)

Last edited:
The Lightning are way more fun to watch tho.
Hey look at that - no posts for Games 2 & 3. ;)
The Hawks uni's are awesome - that is true.

That they might be, but the Rangers gets ratings.

Chicago is tiring out... It's obvious, can they dig down and snatch 2 here... Who knows,

Exciting puck.

Chicago hasn't won on home ice since 1939 ,

They likely change that to 2015 on Monday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom