And So It Begins | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

And So It Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they just assumed? Got bad info? Did they just throw it in for good measure?
no, the update says "not currently" investigating the matter . . .
they very clearly looked into it, however

no, the update says "not currently" investigating the matter . . .
they very clearly looked into it, however

Right and found nothing and moved on...I take that as a good sign.

You have a link where they say not investingating 2007? I can't find where it says that. Thanks in advance.

It was there, now it appears to have been removed, not sure syracuse.com has any idea what its doing.

It was there, now it appears to have been removed, not sure syracuse.com has any idea what its doing.

Sorry they moved it into the actual body of the story, see Extremes link.

That was my first reaction. The p/s had this story researched, quoted and ready to go at the first hint of it breaking...but they weren't going to be the one to break it.

Very very interesting.,,.
Jake, what's your level of concern over the investigation? If you can't answer directly, can you wink once for not too concerned, twice for uh-oh, or perhaps you can hoot like a barn owl if you're so concerned you're incapable of winking?

That was my first reaction. The p/s had this story researched, quoted and ready to go at the first hint of it breaking...but they weren't going to be the one to break it.

Very very interesting.,,.

I would say more disheartening than interesting. It lends some credence to a story that I was pretty quick to dismiss originally. It means that the PS knows that people have been digging around for awhile and that they might have found something.

I would say more disheartening than interesting. It lends some credence to a story that I was pretty quick to dismiss originally. It means that the PS knows that people have been digging around for awhile and that they might have found something.

People have been digging around for awhile. Is that _really_ new news around here?

44cuse

I am wondering if this is a battle within SU also, Academics vs Athletics. Maybe the Southerland and Fab Melo stuff was the final straw and they whistle blew the whole situation to the NCAA. NCAA investigates to see if there is any credence to it.

If this is the case then the investigation will take a while and the NCAA will have help. This is not what is happening at UNC because academics are tight lipped about everything.

Maybe its just me, but after the Bernie Fine drama of November 2011, all of this other stuff is pretty underwhelming. Not to mention the fact that the NCAA has been rather toothless in their administration of harsh penalties in seemingly similar situations (UNC, St Marys) etc. Not really sweating this one out.

I will say that these yearly distractions get really, really annoying after awhile.

I'm surprised that the sentiment here seems to be that all the blame should be placed on the NCAA, the media, and Fab. Kind of a "F the police" mentality...

Matt Park@MattPark11m
Boeheim declined comment on CBS reporting. "It was the same story they had last year at this time, maybe we'll hear it again next year."
He didn't seem too concerned, he even said "you can ask me 100 questions if you want about it". He keeps calling it "just talk"; usually in the past he would say "I can't comment on that at all".

Well, I've read the CBS article and the Syracuse.com article. My observations:

When someone puts a pair of parenthesis around part of a quote, my understanding is that that part of the quote was not what the guy actually said. It's just what the writer presumes he meant or wants us to think what he meant. "and you would hit a violation by Syracuse" is not what the unnamed source actually said. What he actually meant we don't know. Yet the local media, (I just watched the Channel 3 news), is reporting this as part of the quote, as if the unnamed source actually said that.

The Syracuse.com article seems like it's been patched up so many times it's held together with chewing gum. The SU spokesman clearly says this is not about the 2007 allegations but there's a large section describing them and what was done anyway. It's also not about Bernie Fine. There may be something going on about adherence to the schools' own drug policy and the academic suspensions of Melo and Southerland. They may be part of a larger problem. I see no relationship to the 1992 sanctions and I don't think that situation will impact this one.

It's not so much that the NCAA has been investigating SU for years: there have been several things the NCAA has looked into over the years. That's not the same thing. There have probably been multiple things the NCAA has looked into over the years with a lot of schools. The description of how the NCAA looked into the 2007 allegations based on a conversation an SU professor had with Myles Brand indicates a lot of these "investigations" are informal inquiries to see if there's enough of a problem to require a formal investigation.

There doesn't seem to be anything new that's happening right now. The timing of the CBS article is obviously related to SU's participation in the NCAA tournament. It was clearly published in an attempt by the author to get some publicity for himself.

There may be something unpleasant coming down but it's not imminent. We should concentrate on the basketball for now.

I'm surprised that the sentiment here seems to be that all the blame should be placed on the NCAA, the media, and Fab. Kind of a "F the police" mentality...
I don't know, your sentiment seems to be compensating for that and then some.

Maybe its just me, but after the Bernie Fine drama of November 2011, all of this other stuff is pretty underwhelming. Not to mention the fact that the NCAA has been rather toothless in their administration of harsh penalties in seemingly similar situations (UNC, St Marys) etc. Not really sweating this one out.

I will say that these yearly distractions get really, really annoying after awhile.

It is difficult to get too worked up after Bernie, the Marrone saga and Fab last year. This is, as of now, a curious blip on the radar for me.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I dont mind if you ask me 100 questions but I'm not going to tell you anything.

I don't know, your sentiment seems to be compensating for that and then some.

If only we could retroactively fire Boeheim in 1980.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors