Class of 2016 - Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED

Status
Not open for further replies.
and no offense intended to anyone here, because I do honestly like his writing and he's a damn fine beat reporter, but when was the last time Waters had a scoop on anything??

His tweet wasn't a scoop. It sure sounded like a posting of fact.

His tweet wasn't a scoop. It sure sounded like a posting of fact.
well sure, but anyone observing this whole thing could have written that

What we have here, is a failure, to communicate... This is purely an argument about semantics. Of course nothing is done until it's done. These are young men who can and do change their minds at random times for random reasons. But when Moyer announced he was coming and spent months tweeting pro-cuse stuff before signing a LOI I don't think most would mind the phrase "done deal" being used for his recruitment. We know AW3 isn't DONE... what we don't know is if he is done.

well sure, but anyone observing this whole thing could have written that
Okay, that's my point, It's not semantics to say AW is not signed/ enrolled. It's a fact. And until that time, he is not, in fact, ours. "He will wear Orange" could be a future fact but it's not a current fact that he does.

Okay, that's my point, It's not semantics to say AW is not signed/ enrolled. It's a fact. And until that time, he is not, in fact, ours. "He will wear Orange" could be a future fact but it's not a current fact that he does.

Not saying I disagree, but I believe it was bees who said they could have hidden that fact. Just saying, there''s a million scenarios here...

What we have here, is a failure, to communicate... This is purely an argument about semantics. Of course nothing is done until it's done. These are young men who can and do change their minds at random times for random reasons. But when Moyer announced he was coming and spent months tweeting pro-cuse stuff before signing a LOI I don't think most would mind the phrase "done deal" being used for his recruitment. We know AW3 isn't DONE... what we don't know is if he is done.
Exactly.

Agreed, I took that as more a statement of confidence from the coaching staff. But, as we all know, things could change quickly.

Not saying I disagree, but I believe it was bees who said they could have hidden that fact. Just saying, there''s a million scenarios here...

...could have hidden what fact: That he's signed/ enrolled?

Respect the heck out of ya, iommi (and your namesake of course!) but you are indeed nitpicking semantics. I'm pretty sure I know why are doing it, but I won't go there. Some people are acting butt-hurt (not you) because their "sources" haven't come through like a few different ones on here have.

Respect the heck out of ya, iommi (and your namesake of course!) but you are indeed nitpicking semantics. I'm pretty sure I know why are doing it, but I won't go there. Some people are acting butt-hurt (not you) because their "sources" haven't come through like a few different ones on here have.
Well, thanks, Pearl, the respect is mutual. I'm genuinely not trying to nitpick. I just don't think he's signed yet. That's all. It's not nitpicking or my intention to do so, it's very clear cut to me.

i think the big difference is AW hasnt committed.

And even if did commit in secrecy, there is a HUGE mental difference b/w announcing to world and telling a coach.

Look, Im not disputing he is coming/not coming... I have no idea. But you can't compare Moyer to White in this situation.

Yes

I hope what bees said is the case here but if so, why no announcement? A guy with pro aspirations transfers and doesn't want people to know? That'd be a first.

The only other explanation would be that he is going overseas...

Folks need to connect the dots between Gary Parrish's article and this recruitment (or any other recruitment for that matter). Agents or their runners will be involved in the recruitment of the most in-demand kids. Not saying that he will go overseas, but it probably is a consideration. If, as some posters claim, he has such limitations in his game that he can't play productively at the 2 in college, then what position will he play in the pros? He may be getting advice to look overseas for opportunities. He said it himself. This transfer is about basketball, not about getting a post-grad degree in whatever. Why not get paid to work on your game rather than be limited by classes and NCAA limitations on practice? I can buy that angle. It may well be to the benefit of the agent (who gets 10% of his earnings) to have him go overseas. And if he's coming back to college ball to win the ultimate prize, then why not get on your chosen campus as quickly as possible to mesh with teammates who might get you there?

He could have committed to SU at some point in the summer. He could have visited other schools to be sure of his choice. And when he didn't commit to them, that may have solidified the belief in the SU camp that he was coming. But he could have also had second thoughts about college altogether. None of these things are necessarily in conflict with one another. They could all happen.

I hope what bees said is the case here but if so, why no announcement? A guy with pro aspirations transfers and doesn't want people to know? That'd be a first.

I don't disagree, just pointing out that it is possible to be enrolled without the public knowing.

I don't disagree, just pointing out that it is possible to be enrolled without the public knowing.
exactly - plus look at what it is doing to you guys now - this anticipation has surpassed TT's recruitment...

I continue to double down after my lunch time talk with my "source"

also - you have 2 long time form members who I understand you trust more than me - plus me O13 saying basically the same thing

Hopefully you can see the writing on the wall.

I remember I used that phrase on TT's recruitment...

exactly - plus look at what it is doing to you guys now - this anticipation has surpassed TT's recruitment...

I continue to double down after my lunch time talk with my "source"

I'm not surprised you are doubling down at this point. I play a lot of poker. At this point, you are very much pot committed. You have to go all in.

i think the big difference is AW hasnt committed.

And even if did commit in secrecy, there is a HUGE mental difference b/w announcing to world and telling a coach.

Look, Im not disputing he is coming/not coming... I have no idea. But you can't compare Moyer to White in this situation.
The idea wasn't to equate the two. Only to show the most obvious example of a guy not being officially locked into anything but the term "done deal" still being applicable. Say for example, and NOT saying this happened, someone's fiance was in the room and hears AW3 tell Red "Yup I'll be orange, I'm just going to lay low and announce it the 26th of August so I can enjoy my summer." Now I would have no problem with that person categorizing AW3 as a "done deal" while still acknowledging a small margin of error for mind changes or bizarre dishonesty. Hence my last statement, we know AW3 is not DONE, as in official and locked in... what we don't know is if these insiders know something is done as in known to be true with a reasonable level of certainty while not yet public.

I'm not surprised you are doubling down at this point. I play a lot of poker. At this point, you are very much pot committed. You have to go all in.
or, I could have just disappeared - its not like I have ANYTHING to gain by him coming here...

except to watch SU be national title contenders according to everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom